PDA

View Full Version : Judicial system...what's wrong with America?

bigmac
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=11404075

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) A Montana jury has found the maker of Louisville Slugger bats failed to adequately warn about the dangers its product can pose.

Hillerich and Bradsby has been ordered to pay $850,000 to the family of 18-year-old Brandon Patch. The teenager was killed during a 2003 baseball game after being struck in the head by a batted ball off an aluminum bat while pitching during an American Legion game in Helena, MT.

The Patch family argued aluminum bats are dangerous because they cause the ball to travel faster than those hit off wooden bats. They said Brandon did not have enough time to react after the ball was hit.

Although the jury did award the Patch family money saying that H&B failed to place warning labels on the aluminum bats, they also said the bat was not defective.

Maristar210
10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
I saw that earlier. There goes the price of aluminum bats !!!!

shepherd
10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
That would never happen in Canada.

M-Funf
10-30-2009, 05:07 PM
An appellate judge with knock that down to a much smaller number.

TMCNo1
10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Our former governor and his wife are crooks, but it will probably disappear.
Panel fines ex-NC governor, seeks criminal probe

By GARY D. ROBERTSON, Associated Press Writer Gary D. Robertson, Associated Press Writer – Fri Oct 30, 1:45 pm ET
RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina elections officials penalized former Gov. Mike Easley's campaign $100,000 Friday for not reporting flights provided by a political ally and asked prosecutors to investigate whether he or others broke laws by trying to hide them.
The unanimous State Board of Elections decision came after four days of hearings into the conduct of Easley, a two-term Democrat who left office in January, and the state Democratic Party.
The board found evidence that campaign finance laws were violated, and that evidence was sent to the Wake County district attorney, board Chairman Larry Leake said.
The board also told the Easley campaign to give up the cost of the flights — $60,000 — and to reimburse the elections board $40,000 for its investigation.
Easley attorney Thomas Hicks said after the hearing his client got what he wanted. In an unusual closing argument Thursday, Hicks said prosecutors would have more resources to examine whether criminal charges are necessary.
"When I go to a tribunal and ask for it and they give me what I want, that makes me happy," Hicks told reporters Friday. However, he repeated his claim that Easley has done nothing illegal.
The party also was ordered to forfeit $9,000 in campaign funds for two donations solicited by the Easley campaign, but the board didn't include the party in its request to examine potential charges.
Much of the case against Easley hinged on the testimony of one-time political ally McQueen Campbell, the former chairman of the trustees board at North Carolina State University.
Campbell, who piloted Easley on campaign flights going back to 1999, testified Easley suggested that he file invoices for flights to get reimbursed for repairs to Easley's Raleigh home that Campbell said reached $11,000.
Easley, who was attorney general for eight years before being elected governor in 2000, testified that he never told Campbell to falsify invoices, nor did he imply Campbell should. Campbell testified he filed two bogus invoices with Easley's campaign.
Campbell testified he hadn't been reimbursed for scores of campaign-related flights, which he valued at nearly $88,000, that the campaign never reported. But Easley said Campbell told him he had been reimbursed.
The activities of Campbell and Easley also have gotten the attention of federal prosecutors, and a grand jury has been calling witnesses to testify about a coastal subdivision where Easley and his wife purchased a lot and the hiring of former first lady Mary Easley at N.C. State University.

trickskier
11-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Frivolous lawsuits like the one above irritate the heck out of me!!!

Here's another example:

A few years ago, a man in Alabama was awarded $25 Million Dollars after he was ejected from his Chevrolet Blazer and became a paraplegic.

Here's the story: He was intoxicated, speeding, passed out at the wheel, NOT wearing his seatbelt, ran off the road, rolled the Blazer, was ejected and became papaplegic.

The jury said they gave him the award because the Blazer had a high propensity to "Roll-Over".

Guess his injuries had nothing to do with him passing out at the wheel and not wearing a seatbelt???