PDA

View Full Version : Brazos River Authority troubles

Aric'sX15
10-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Was out on the lake last wednesday, and was wakeboarding with a comp vest on. knowing it was illegal, stopped and threw the vest in the boat, and was in the process of getting in the boat when the bra drives up. they say its a routine check, and i was standing on the swim platform with no life jacket on. he assumed i wasnt wearing a life jacket while wakeboarding. he wrote me a ticket for that, then said he saw me get in the water. i tried to tell him i was wearing that vest, and he kept calling me a liar. he then asked for life jackets, and we were one short so that was a fair ticket. then the a** follows me back to my house, and calls me a liar to me and my mothers face. later that week, we get a call from that officer saying we gave him false information, witch we didnt, he wrote it all down himself off the title of our boat. so it was his fault. he then proceeded to call my mom a liar, and hassled her for a half hour. we then got a call from another officer, saying the ticket was voided. So i have no idea what to think about them. Anyone else have problems with them?

03 35th Anniversary
10-29-2009, 02:03 AM
I have never been jacked with on Lake Granbury by any of them! They just wave at me as I go shagging @ss by doing what the hell ever with the stereo cranked!!!

Sounds like you must have met the "New Guy" on the force.

Aric'sX15
10-29-2009, 02:24 AM
my new stereo was cranked, and i was wakeboarding, and he was a mile or so down the lake by the groggy dog. i was in front of my neighborhood, and theres no way in hell he saw me. i dont remember his name, but he gave my friend three tickets the weekend before. but he was in a centurion, i think thats why. :p

Sodar
10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
The lake police use Centurions to patrol?

pkskier
10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I haven't been on Granbury in a long time, but here on PK the BRA police and the game wardens are always doing safety checks and harassing boaters in general. Luckily they have left me alone, but having observed what is happening I try to stay out of their way and not draw attention to myself. I don't go to Hell's Gate as much as I once did since that is where most of the harrassing occurs.

BigJon
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Did you explain that you were wearing that life jacket and that's the reason it was wet? Dont know what to say about loud music other than no one likes to hear other people's music when forced to....most lakes around here have sound ordinances but few people seem to read the signs as they drive to the launch.

Calling anyone a liar is a personal attack and you should have noted that to him. I would have told him you'd be contacting the internal affairs department to open a ticket of your own.

east tx skier
10-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Probably worth mentioning that you are not required under Texas state law to wear a life jacket so long as there is a coast guard approved jacket in the boat for every person in the boat including the rider. If they have some local ordinance of which I'm not aware, that would be another story. Of course, since you were one short, like you say, it's a fair ticket. I stuff the nose full of those orange vests just to be sure.

See Tex. Parks & Wildlife Code Ann. 31.066(a); 31.103(c) (Vernon 2002ish) (requiring that there be a Type III flotation device for all occupants of a vessel greater than a certain length and stating that a person being towed on water skis or similar devices by a vessel is considered an occupant of the vessel).

Aric'sX15
10-30-2009, 12:27 AM
The lake police use Centurions to patrol?

He gave the ticket to a centurion. i was being a smarta$$. haha

And east tx skier, where can i find those codes?

vandit0022
10-30-2009, 12:57 AM
He gave the ticket to a centurion. i was being a smarta$$. haha

And east tx skier, where can i find those codes?

http://www.brazos.org/generalPdf/Regs2000[1].pdf

There's the specific regs for your lake. Youl

Aric'sX15
10-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Since the ticket got voided, I dont have to deal with it. I know this guy will be looking for me next time, so im going to stay informed.

east tx skier
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Since the ticket got voided, I dont have to deal with it. I know this guy will be looking for me next time, so im going to stay informed.

Like I figured, there are local rules that are going to be more strict than the State laws. So on the Brazos, you have to wear a Type III approved device. That would exclude both of my comp vests, but not sure about yours.

As for the regulations I posted, you can get them for free here (http://law.onecle.com/texas/parks/chapter31.html).

Aric'sX15
11-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks. will keep that in my glove box!

Ubugme2
11-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Now if you could just get that rope out of your avitar you would be set!:D

Say nope to rope!

Aric'sX15
11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/AricBrabec/951a57eb.jpg
better?

Aric'sX15
11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/AricBrabec/cc28ab92.jpg

TOO-TALL
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Cool pics.
In the last pic how do you have your boat weighted?

TX.X-30 fan
11-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Probably worth mentioning that you are not required under Texas state law to wear a life jacket so long as there is a coast guard approved jacket in the boat for every person in the boat including the rider. If they have some local ordinance of which I'm not aware, that would be another story. Of course, since you were one short, like you say, it's a fair ticket. I stuff the nose full of those orange vests just to be sure.

See Tex. Parks & Wildlife Code Ann. 31.066(a); 31.103(c) (Vernon 2002ish) (requiring that there be a Type III flotation device for all occupants of a vessel greater than a certain length and stating that a person being towed on water skis or similar devices by a vessel is considered an occupant of the vessel).

I did not know that, I hope one day to have an approachable beer with you. :D

east tx skier
11-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I did not know that, I hope one day to have an approachable beer with you. :D

Just sneak up behind it! Like I mentioned, check with your local authorities. Really, this only matters if you wear a comp vest that isn't approved. Hopefully, everyone is wearing one form of vest or another. The comp vests are great for rib protection and do offer some flotation, even if not as much flotation as a Type III.

WakePowell
11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
We were stopped twice this summer by the Brazos River Authority Officer. Each time he made it a point to find the Non-USCG vests in our boat. But as always we had more USCG Vests than people. He never cited us but was very thorough in his inspection of our boat.

Thrall
11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
We were stopped twice this summer by the Brazos River Authority Officer. Each time he made it a point to find the Non-USCG vests in our boat. But as always we had more USCG Vests than people. He never cited us but was very thorough in his inspection of our boat.

So the fish cops actually board your boat??? That sounds like invasion of privacy to me. Like getting pulled over for speeding and the cop plops hislef down in yuor passenger seat to write the ticket and helps himslef thru the glovebox and console while he's in there.
Just askin because I've never been boarded in IL, WI, AZ, NM,MO or CO.

east tx skier
11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Sounds like the Brazos River Authority is a bit more aggressive than the Game Wardens that patrol for the TDP&W at most Texas lakes. I get stopped about once per year, usually in March or April. I just start pulling out everything I know they need to see and they usually send me on my way quickly. I have never been boarded. Must be the big deck guns (advantages of a closed bow).

WakePowell
11-11-2009, 06:16 PM
The warden on the Brazos has never boarded my boat but I've had to produce all of the required safety equipment and the all important "registration card". I feel they were ultimately looking for DWI's and blatent safety violations.

Aric'sX15
11-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Cool pics.
In the last pic how do you have your boat weighted?
Had A 750 in the port locker, 400 on the seat and a 750 in the front at about 10.5 mph.

Aric'sX15
11-12-2009, 10:51 PM
So the fish cops actually board your boat??? That sounds like invasion of privacy to me. Like getting pulled over for speeding and the cop plops hislef down in yuor passenger seat to write the ticket and helps himslef thru the glovebox and console while he's in there.
Just askin because I've never been boarded in IL, WI, AZ, NM,MO or CO.

I didnt get boarded, he just was assuming and making an a$$ outta himself.

Thrall
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I didnt get boarded, he just was assuming and making an a$$ outta himself.

I've seen that happen plenty of times with cops. Lots of good ones, but lots of them out to show you how much authority they have too!

Aric'sX15
11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I've seen that happen plenty of times with cops. Lots of good ones, but lots of them out to show you how much authority they have too!

this guy just sees a wakeboard boat and pulls them over. said it was a routine check and didnt even ask for a fire extinguishers.