PDA

View Full Version : Facebook malware

bcampbe7
10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
FYI...

DO NOT OPEN a Facebook email regarding password reset confirmation. It is spam and has an attachment that will infect your PC.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10384028-2.html

I got the email here at work this morning.

JohnE
10-28-2009, 09:45 AM
I got it and figured as much. Thanks for confirming Beau.

Mag_Red
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
thanks for the heads up!~ I hate everything about those sites even though I have a profile posted there............about everything there, all those little apps( test you IQ, how popular are you, those silly things
0, require that you give you cell # to receive a text message. One of my kids gave mine, and next thing I know I'm getting all kinds of stupid trivia texts costing me $6/ month!

flipper
10-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

bigmac
10-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Even though I use a Mac and such malware doesn't affect me, this issue seems to be just one more reason to avoid these social networking sites.

bcampbe7
10-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree bigmac...

I have deleted all of my social networking site accounts though.

Also, I got this email on an account that was never associated with any internet website, ever.

bigmac
10-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree bigmac...

I have deleted all of my social networking site accounts though.

Also, I got this email on an account that was never associated with any internet website, ever.

One of the prominent schemes involves the mark getting an email that says something like "another Facebook user has reported you for TOS violation. Click the link below for more info....". Naturally, that link is some kind of website or executable download that causes no end of grief.

The word "facebook" is a keyword in my global email delete list.

mpm32
10-28-2009, 01:44 PM
The easy way to avoid this is to never click on any of the links in the emails you receive. If you get an email from your bank and they ask you to click the link to update your info, don't click the link - enter the actual address for the bank website and see if they have an issue with your info.

Sure it's a little more work typing out the address than clicking the link but you won't get yourself in a computer mess. Plus, most legit places won't send you a link anyway.

atlfootr
10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for sharing ....