PDA

View Full Version : Winterization separate Flanges??

fentong
10-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Can someone please clarify something for me please.

The Winterization section of the Indmar manual (under Drive Train Prep) Page 7-6 says
"Remove the attaching hardware from the propeller shaft coupling. Separate the flanges and coat the surfaces with Pennzoil Premium Plus Multipurpose grease."

Is this the same drive flange that attaches the propeller shaft to the transmission? The same one we're supposed to check alignment with a feeler gauge?

I didn't perform this step last year and I was wondering how crucial is this to the winterization process. I understood that a slide hammer was required to separate the flange and I couldn't believe that this would be part of the annual maintenance if so.

Please advise?

fentong
11-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Seriously, does no one know the answer to this? I'm taking her to the winter storage spot tomorrow at 9:30 AM and would love to know the answer before I leave.

bigmac
11-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I've not heard of separating and lubricating the drive flange being part of the winterization process. I see it in the Indmar manual, but I don't see it listed as a routine maintenance item recommended by Mastercraft.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I understood that a slide hammer was required to separate the flange and I couldn't believe that this would be part of the annual maintenance if so.

Yes, I'm sure it is referring to the two flanges that you separate and check alignment between. You shouldn't need a slide hammer to get the two flanges apart, just loosen the nuts/bolts and pull the prop shaft. The slide hammer is needed to get the drive shaft pulled out of the flange however. I've never done this as part of my winterization....the only reason I can see why it might be done is to keep the flanges from rusting together which would make them tough to separate.

Dave2302
11-01-2009, 01:59 PM
the only reason I can see why it might be done is to keep the flanges from rusting together which would make them tough to separate.

Exactly that ;)