PDA

View Full Version : Bouyancy certificate

Pushing Tin
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi all. Graham in Cape Town, South Africa. Recently bought 1988 Prostar 190, great condition and in the process of finishing off the boat back to original specs.

Situation out here is, for all boats ocean going or fresh water, we have to have 'bouyancy certificates' issued for all craft. New boughts off the show room floor come with pre-issued certficates, older craft like mine have to be inspected and bouyancy modified in order to have the boyancy certificate issued.

Locals have advised me that a 'discreet' hole will be cut into the hull, the hull inspected and if necessary foam injected into the hull to have 'bouyancy' validated. There is not a %^&$@&*% :( chance in hell that anybody is going cut a hole anywhere into my hull, especially a hull with the pedigree like that which comes out of Mastercraft.

So, my question is; are there any bouyancy specifications available on (in particular) my model of Mastercraft? Can I get these specs and use them then as qualification to get the bouyancy certificate so I can operate this craft on what in essence is inland-flat-fresh-water. I mean, give me a break...... inland flat fresh water?

Would really appreciate hearing from you out there, if I give my boat serial number back to MasterCraft would they be able to help? Thanks in anticipation.

JimN
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi all. Graham in Cape Town, South Africa. Recently bought 1988 Prostar 190, great condition and in the process of finishing off the boat back to original specs.

Situation out here is, for all boats ocean going or fresh water, we have to have 'bouyancy certificates' issued for all craft. New boughts off the show room floor come with pre-issued certficates, older craft like mine have to be inspected and bouyancy modified in order to have the boyancy certificate issued.

Locals have advised me that a 'discreet' hole will be cut into the hull, the hull inspected and if necessary foam injected into the hull to have 'bouyancy' validated. There is not a %^&$@&*% :( chance in hell that anybody is going cut a hole anywhere into my hull, especially a hull with the pedigree like that which comes out of Mastercraft.

So, my question is; are there any bouyancy specifications available on (in particular) my model of Mastercraft? Can I get these specs and use them then as qualification to get the bouyancy certificate so I can operate this craft on what in essence is inland-flat-fresh-water. I mean, give me a break...... inland flat fresh water?

Would really appreciate hearing from you out there, if I give my boat serial number back to MasterCraft would they be able to help? Thanks in anticipation.

They'll be able to tell you whether it has flotation in it but I can almost guarantee that it doesn't because here, if it's less than a certain length, it's not required.

Pushing Tin
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Got that JimN, let's see I'll give MC HQ a mail with the serial number. Thanks,a nd I'll post the response out of interest.

TEAL98
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Got that JimN, let's see I'll give MC HQ a mail with the serial number. Thanks,a nd I'll post the response out of interest.

Some might see it as useless information here in the states, but I'm rather curious myself. Post the response you get from the big wigs, for sure!

shepherd
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Let them cut the hole in the bottom, and then install Perfect Pass. ;)

ski_king
11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
This will be interesting.

Back in the early 80's they advertised level flotation.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45540&stc=1&d=1238020428

But here is a picture of an 86 tristar.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52190&d=1254105657

D3skier
11-03-2009, 09:40 PM
hey Bert... that last picture looks familiar... do you know who's boat that is?... j/k

Pushing Tin
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Apologies for delayed reply, work commitments kept me of the radar screen. Any knowledge is useful, eventually. See response back from MC HQ, not directly applicable to my 19 footer but an official notice from MC quoting those specs will encourage any local official here is SA that my 190 comes from a pedigree manufacturer! And, it floats!

Pushing Tin
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
MC did a great job replying to my initial buoyancy query, very professional. Quick solution I have applied here, measured out the internal volumetric area of the space from behind the observers seat to the point of the bow - then had a seamstress work up a synthetic fine web polyester cargo net that will occupy the volumetric area - then bought small marine grade sealed plastic buoyancy bottles and filled the fine web cargo net with as many bottles as it could take (while in that space) - tied off the cargo net - put the seat back, and you would not know the thing is in there. The result, 30% buoyancy that matches the weight-of-boat per max person load for local requirements for flat inland water here in SA. Not cutting into the hull to force inject foam or any of that clumsy invasive stuff. Just HOPE that this never gets tested, well not on my equipment anyway.

woftam
11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Apologies for delayed reply, work commitments kept me of the radar screen. Any knowledge is useful, eventually. See response back from MC HQ, not directly applicable to my 19 footer but an official notice from MC quoting those specs will encourage any local official here is SA that my 190 comes from a pedigree manufacturer! And, it floats!

See attachment. Mike Myers is a naval architect at MasterCraft. Groovy man......

Double D
11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
See attachment. Mike Myers is a naval architect at MasterCraft. Groovy man......
Either that or a mass murderer on Halloween.....