PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Storm software update v5.0!!

Ski-me
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Just got my new software update and I must say.....finally!! Great improvements over the older versions!

Significant changes that I like:

- Home screen can now display your current appointments for the day (just like pocket pc based phones we had in the past)

- Text messages look better and more organized. Different shading for incoming and outgoing. Also has smiley icons.

- Scrolling around now behaves more like the iPhone where the screen moves fast with an initial finger movement and then slows down. Also, when you reach the end of scroll, the bottom has a little "bump" to it. Really nice.

- Going in and out of applications seem quicker....more immediate launches.

Bottom line.....much better! I thing the upcoming release of the Storm2 has really benefitted the original Storm's software. Pretty similar phones except the Storm2 has WiFi now (just like iPhones).

Anyways, just wanted to share.......

bigmac
10-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm glad RIM came out with a worthwhile update. I had a Storm and turned it back in -- found it to be...uh..."less than satisfactory".

Been using a Curve for about 6 months. It's kind a a crappy phone too, but better than the Moto Q I had before.

Really would prefer an iPhone, but can't do it until it's available for Verizon. And since that event is up to Steve Jobs vs. Ivan Seidenberg...I'll be surprised if that ever happens. Verizon appears to like its role as the cell phone company with the most reliable network and the clunkiest phones.

Double D
10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Really would prefer an iPhone, but can't do it until it's available for Verizon. And since that event is up to Steve Jobs vs. Ivan Seidenberg...I'll be surprised if that ever happens. Verizon appears to like its role as the cell phone company with the most reliable network and the clunkiest phones.

My sentiments exactly...:(

duckguy
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
It is a shame that the IPHONE is only available on ATT as there service can be spotty to say the least as the IPHONE in terms of hardware is really second to none

flipper
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I was told that the contract is going to be up soon with att and the iphone will be verizon. Don't know how true, or how soon though.

duckguy
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
It has been a rumor forever. I don't know if it will happen. Verizon loves there proprietary software.

bigmac
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I was told that the contract is going to be up soon with att and the iphone will be verizon. Don't know how true, or how soon though.

Seen the ads for the Android (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYM-XTqcec)? Steve Jobs has a l-o-o-o-ng memory and he doesn't like it when other company's take shots at Apple. I wouldn't hold my breath for Verizon to get the iPhone.

Those rumors have been going around for a long time. I would be frankly astonished if Apple and Verizon could find common ground from which to make the iPhone a Verizon product.

Anyway, here's the latest (today, in fact). I think the attitude that Verizon displays here is indicative of their lack of interest in the iPhone, and is certainly not going to do anything to make Apple more inclined to partner up.

Verizon reported its quarterly earnings before the markets opened for trading today, showing increased revenue and subscribers, but decreased profit as the company worked to complete integration of former wireless competitor Alltel amid uncertain economic conditions. As noted by Digital Daily Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg claimed in the company's earnings conference call that bringing the iPhone to Verizon is entirely Apple's call and that the carrier would be happy to have it on its network.

During a conference call to discuss Verizon's third quarter earnings, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg said bringing the iPhone to Verizon is entirely Apple's call. "This is a decision that is exclusively in Apple's court," he said. "Obviously we would be interested if they thought it would make sense for them to have us as a partner. And so we will leave it with them on that score. . . We want to broaden the base of choice for customers, and hopefully along the way, Apple, as well as others, will decide to jump on the bandwagon."
Verizon has recently begun targeting both the iPhone and AT&T in recent advertising campaigns, leading to speculation that the carrier does not foresee an introduction of the iPhone on its network and is thus willing to burn bridges with Apple in the new ads.

Offering the iPhone on Verizon's current network would require hardware modifications, given the difference in technology standards used by Verizon compared to all other carriers Apple has partnered with to offer the iPhone. Seidenberg previously noted that the iPhone would be more likely to come to Verizon next year when the company begins rolling out its 4G LTE wireless network, which will utilize the same standards as AT&T and other global wireless companies. Verizon expects to roll out LTE to 25-30 markets by the end of 2010, with full deployment expected to take until 2013.

MacRumors.com 10/26 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/26/iphone-on-verizon-a-decision-that-is-exclusively-in-apples-court/)

Ski-me
10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
It is a shame that the IPHONE is only available on ATT as there service can be spotty to say the least as the IPHONE in terms of hardware is really second to none

This is the main reason we stay with Verizon. Just too many spotty sections with ATT. Bottom line, the phone needs to work before you consider the "toy" part of the unit.:o