PDA

View Full Version : impellar/ transmission filter

LaRue
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
does anyone have a photo that would show me the location of the raw water intake impellar and the other filter that should be checked periodically, the filter that would stop weeds and/or debris? Boat is a 2000 Maristar with the LT1 330hp engine. I want to be able to check and clean/repair these as needed when on the water. Is it recommended to have a spare impellar on board at all times? appreciate any help given. :D

88 PS190
10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Don't have that boat, but the raw water pump is driven by the belt so it should be easy to find, hose goes in hose goes out, and a belt around the pulley.

If you follow the intake hose back to the transmission cooler the intake hose has a metal screen.

If your lake is scummy its good to check for build up there.

I keep a spare, but its best to put a new one in at the beginning of the season and keep all the old ones around. I'm not sure if you can swap them in the water without taking water on. They don't have any sort of valve inline, although they probably should, would be a good to put a valve next to the through hull so you could close to pull hoses to do these repairs.

Barefooter92
10-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I have the same question: Should we keep a spare impellar at the dock? Sounds like this is a major item that needs changed regulary. Although simple to do. How do you know when your impellar is out? Temp spike?

TMCNo1
10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
does anyone have a photo that would show me the location of the raw water intake impellar and the other filter that should be checked periodically, the filter that would stop weeds and/or debris? Boat is a 2000 Maristar with the LT1 330hp engine. I want to be able to check and clean/repair these as needed when on the water. Is it recommended to have a spare impellar on board at all times? appreciate any help given. :D

You need to remove the 4 screws, cover and gasket off the raw water pump to check, remove or replace the impeller. Your raw water pump is in front of and bolted to the bottom pulley and looks like this,
Your transmission cooler is normally located between the raw water pickup in the hull and the raw water pump and the inlet hose on the hull side should be removed to check for debris where the water enters the transmission cooler and looks like this,

JimN
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I have the same question: Should we keep a spare impellar at the dock? Sounds like this is a major item that needs changed regulary. Although simple to do. How do you know when your impellar is out? Temp spike?

Keep it in the boat, along with a new gasket. It doesn't do much good on the dock when the old one fails on the water.

Contrary to some peoples' opinion, yes, it should be changed regularly.

88 PS190
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Its best to replace yearly to avoid them going out. If not run dry most impellors will last several seasons, but better to avoid.

If they tear your temp will go up rapidly. Additionally when you start your boat you can feel the cover of the housing, it will be cold due to all the waterflow if its pumping.

The real problem is if it goes out and you catch the temp rise you can stop the engine, but all the torn fins from the impellor go into the cooling circuit, there's no screen so you have to pull the hoses and fish out all the peices, then match them up on the impellor stub so you know you found it all. That's slow as heck.

To prevent its important to keep a new on in there, and I lubricate when I install it with extra glycerine and then I start it on the hose before hitting the lake so the pump is already wet.

TMCNo1
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM

A lot of people always carry a spare and tools the boat in case they are stranded out on the water and change theirs annually as a preventative measure.
Your engine temperature gauge will go way beyond the 170 degree mark and stay there while running and won't come down, is a good indication the impeller is ruined.

russlars
10-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I change mine regularly but still had one tear to shreds a couple years ago. Luckily I had a new impeller on board and was able to change it with only a pocket knife for a tool. Now I have a simple tool kit in the boat along with a new impeller. Two other essential items on board are the pocket knife and a swim mask in case you get a rope wrapped around the prop. I learned that lesson the hard way!;)

bigmac
10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
..... but all the torn fins from the impellor go into the cooling circuit, there's no screen so you have to pull the hoses and fish out all the peices, then match them up on the impellor stub so you know you found it all. That's slow as heck.

Most of the later models have the transmission cooler located after the raw water pump, and there's a screen there. Here's the MCX...

http://mccollister.info/trannycooler2.jpg

http://mccollister.info/transmissioncooler.jpg

88 PS190
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
That's a good design change.

Would almost be worth getting longer lines made for the transmission and relocating it, just for that strainer effect.

MattsCraft
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Big Mac - Wow, thanks, for the life of me I could not find this based on the pics/explaination in the indmar manual!!! They also mention drain plugs, don't have any! Anyway, just checked mine and sure enough had some junk in there.

-So now I have to ask the question about my winterization. After chainging the oil, impeller etc.
-Ran the boat up to temp.
-Drained the block, both sides, drained the exhaust at the quick connect coupler.
-By the time I did all this, water temp is now @ 120
-Ran the boat using the perko flush pro this year and 5 gallons of RV green(-100), diluted 50% with warm water (5 gallons with the perko sucked down in no time)

-So the question is with regard to the thermostat (160), do I have antifreeze everywhere?
-I started to pull the plug on one side of the block, green antifreeze is there
-I also, pulled the heater hose at the top (where the hose shut off is) and poured another1/2 gallon of RV there and pumped preasure on it with a shop vac.

This is exactly how I did it last year except with fake a lake, took a little longer and don't remember the water temp and all was fine. I did have a very good stream of antifreeze rolling out of the exhaust flaps!

Thanks for the insight:)

Most of the later models have the transmission cooler located after the raw water pump, and there's a screen there. Here's the MCX...

http://mccollister.info/trannycooler2.jpg

http://mccollister.info/transmissioncooler.jpg

davomaddo
10-26-2009, 10:24 PM
You can install a sea strainer if you are concerned about dibris.
I have a lot of sea weed where I ride, so I have the sea strainer.
The sea strainer is accessable and makes it super easy to get the crap out and it also has a window so you can look to see if the crap needs to be cleared.

Ask the dealer about the sea strainer. They can install it for you.
If you have a sea strainer, the crap should get caught there before it gets to the transmssion cooler.

LaRue
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
thanks guys. that helps alot!