PDA

View Full Version : water in trans fluid

Jerseydave
10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Just helped my friend winterize his '01 X-star and noticed that the trans fluid is milky.
We're going to replace the trans cooler in the spring. Is that the only way water can get into the trans fluid? Anything else I should look for?

TMCNo1
10-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Just helped my friend winterize his '01 X-star and noticed that the trans fluid is milky.
We're going to replace the trans cooler in the spring. Is that the only way water can get into the trans fluid? Anything else I should look for?

On some v-drives, a bad transmission seal and excess water in the bilge can create some water intrusion problems other than the transmission cooler, that's about the only way other than the boat being sunk.

76S&S
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
My problem was the trans seal when my tranny fluid was milky.

Jerseydave
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
My problem was the trans seal when my tranny fluid was milky.

Are you referring to the trans seal at the prop shaft?

JimN
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM

Has his bilge had more than a few inches of water while it was running on the water? That could be caused by a bad rear seal and V-drives from some years had paint on the seal, which made it impossible for it to flex and seal properly.

I would test the oil cooler before replacing it/ You would first remove it, drain it of oil, cap one of the oil fittings and use a plug with a Shrader valve to fill it with compressed air. Put it in a bucket of water an watch for bubbles. If you hear air coming out or see bubbles, it can be repaired by any radiator repair shop.

Jerseydave
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
The boat sees mostly salt water use, so for $68 I think it's going to get a new one. (it's really rusty on the outside too)

I'll ask him about water in the bilge while running. Hopefully the trans seal is not leaking. If it is, I assume the trans would have to come out to fix it, correct?

76S&S
10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Are you referring to the trans seal at the prop shaft?

The lower seal, where the shaft attaches.

bjackson
12-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I have an '01 x-star and I had to replace the transmission in it because of water damage. I learned from the guy I got the new transmission from that the gasket used in that ZF v-drive is designed to suck back in any escaping tranny fluid. There is very little space between the bottom of the v-drive and the very bottom of the bilge. Any excessive water in the bilge coming in contact with the bottom of the v-drive and that gasketing material coud potentially be drawn up into the tranny fluid, which is definitely no good. After replacing the transmission I ended up installing another another bilge pump right next to my stuffing tube allowing me to pick up any residule water that makes it way back there when running all day.

bigmac
12-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I have an '01 x-star and I had to replace the transmission in it because of water damage. I learned from the guy I got the new transmission from that the gasket used in that ZF v-drive is designed to suck back in any escaping tranny fluid. There is very little space between the bottom of the v-drive and the very bottom of the bilge. Any excessive water in the bilge coming in contact with the bottom of the v-drive and that gasketing material coud potentially be drawn up into the tranny fluid, which is definitely no good. After replacing the transmission I ended up installing another another bilge pump right next to my stuffing tube allowing me to pick up any residule water that makes it way back there when running all day.

How did water damage your transmission?

What gasket are you talking about?

I suspect that the guy that you're talking about took you for a ride. Pretty bizarre story.

bjackson
12-24-2009, 05:24 PM
How did water damage your transmission?

What gasket are you talking about?

I suspect that the guy that you're talking about took you for a ride. Pretty bizarre story.

Water got into my tranny oil and destroyed the clutch, I lost foward drive. The loud clunking from within the v-drive was a dead give away and sure enough when it was opened up you could see where the clutch was slipping.

The gasket I am talking about is the gasket that essentially seals the two halves of the transmission housing together. With out this joint in the transmission housing there would no way to gain access to the gears within the transmission.

I'm not sure what you mean by him "taking me for a ride." I have dealt with his services for several years and being around the marine service industry for a majority of my life he has done fantastic work on all the transmissions I have seen him service. I had known the transmission was shot before he had seen it.

I'm trying to base all of this off what I remember from 3 years ago when I dealt with this. I apologize if it doesn't appear to be 100% accurate.

bigmac
12-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I think the concept of a faulty transmission gasket always being able to suck in water is inaccurate. OTOH, it is true that failure of either the input or output transmission shaft seal in combination with water in the bilge deep enough to cover them, can result in water in the transmission. The only other source of water in the transmission is failure of the transmission cooler.

I don't doubt your truthfulness in relaying the story, but it sounds like the guy who relayed it to you was off the mark. That makes me question whether or not you actually needed a new transmission.

Tom023
12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
The breather vent on top of the transmission was also an element contributing to water intrusion. The vent would normally be sealed unless excess pressure in the transmission forced it open to vent. As the transmission cooled, the vent would remain closed causing suction in the transmission allowing high bilge water to be more easily sucked past the seals. MC issued a service bulletin and a redesigned breather vent that remains open at all times. Takes all of two minutes to swap it out.

bigmac
12-26-2009, 11:18 AM
The breather vent on top of the transmission was also an element contributing to water intrusion. The vent would normally be sealed unless excess pressure in the transmission forced it open to vent. As the transmission cooled, the vent would remain closed causing suction in the transmission allowing high bilge water to be more easily sucked past the seals. MC issued a service bulletin and a redesigned breather vent that remains open at all times. Takes all of two minutes to swap it out.

Yeh, I forgot that one, although on my V-drive, we'd be talking a LOT of bilge water to get that component underwater. Output shaft seal, not so much, and I've never heard of this water-intruding gasket thing.

TEAL98
12-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Very interesting