PDA

View Full Version : 08 X45 Issue

bwatso01
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
The weather has been crazy down here in GA over the last month and I have not had my boat out for about 3 weeks now. I went down to my lakehouse to cut grass and check up on things and this is what I saw when I checked out my boat and could not believe my eyes. This looks like a gas vent as I have one on both sides of the boat right under each gas cap and it looks like gas came out of it and ran down the side ruining the entire decal. Does anybody have a clue as to what this is and what may have caused it. My boat is just sitting on the trailer in my driveway. The gas tank is about 3/4 full of a 90 gallon tank as I filled it up the last time out on the water and did not use but about 1/4 tank.
Please advise on your thoughts on what may have happened here.
Thanks,
Brian

duckguy
10-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Yikes that sucks, gotta be fuel.

WakePowell
10-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Take it to the dealer. There is a recall on the venting used on the '08 and '09 boats. They should take care of the recall and replace the decals.

TMCNo1
10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
When gas is or has been allowed to run on vinyl like that for a extended period of time, it has the ability to attack wrinkle the vinyl and attack the adhesive on the vinyl.

bwatso01
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Take it to the dealer. There is a recall on the venting used on the '08 and '09 boats. They should take care of the recall and replace the decals.

Good to know and thanks for the info. I will give my local dealer a call tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. Thanks again.
BW

TallRedRider
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM
On my 06, the vent is above the rubrail. Interesting. Never had fuel come out of the vent.

I always get some spillage of fuel when gassing up. I open the other side and that helps some, and then wrap paper towels around it and that eliminates spray, and I run the pump on the lower setting. Still always get gas on the boat. Any other suggestions?

mpabreo
10-26-2009, 02:41 PM
The first few times I filled up, I got spillage out of the vent and down the side of the boat. Since then, I've been very meticulous to calculate the amount of fuel I can fit in the tank to get it full. Although its not always very acurate, but if my gauge says Ive got 20% full, that means the tank can take 80% of 90 gallons, so 72 gallons, I stop at 60 or so and put it on the low fill setting, and listen. You can hear the level rising up the hose and I can usually stop it before any spilling occurs.

tph
10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a stars and stripes that will do the same thing when the weather is very hot. I installed a separator on the vent line and try not to fill the tank to the top.

bwatso01
10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
The first few times I filled up, I got spillage out of the vent and down the side of the boat. Since then, I've been very meticulous to calculate the amount of fuel I can fit in the tank to get it full. Although its not always very acurate, but if my gauge says Ive got 20% full, that means the tank can take 80% of 90 gallons, so 72 gallons, I stop at 60 or so and put it on the low fill setting, and listen. You can hear the level rising up the hose and I can usually stop it before any spilling occurs.

I agree with what you are saying and do the same here when fueling up. But the issue here is that I filled up 3 weeks ago and did not get any spilage that I can remember. I then took the boat out for 1-2 hours cruising and then put the boat on the trailer later that day. I always wash/rinse my boat off after each use so if there was any minor spilage at the gas station...it was rinsed during that process. This had to be some fuel coming out of that vent from some pressure while it was just sitting in my driveway....I have no other explination at this point and I am at a loss for words.

magnum
10-26-2009, 11:03 PM
When you are filling up , just open up the other filler cap on the other side of boat and this will vent it and I have never had a spill over . not all mastercrafts have 2 fill caps

mpabreo
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree with what you are saying and do the same here when fueling up. But the issue here is that I filled up 3 weeks ago and did not get any spilage that I can remember. I then took the boat out for 1-2 hours cruising and then put the boat on the trailer later that day. I always wash/rinse my boat off after each use so if there was any minor spilage at the gas station...it was rinsed during that process. This had to be some fuel coming out of that vent from some pressure while it was just sitting in my driveway....I have no other explination at this point and I am at a loss for words.

Yeah, I dont understand this at all. Depending on how old your boat is, I would talk to your dealer, and just tell him to take care of it. Find what caused it, fix it, replace the decals, etc.

tgfrancis
10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
I used to have a Bayliner and we would keep it outside under a cover in the driveway during the summer. On hot days when the sun was really beating down gas would overflow out the vent like yours did. The reason is because when gasoline heats up vapors are released and they expand taking up space in the tank and forcing overflow out the side. I assume this is the same thing happening with your 45. I now have an X2 and we have never had that problem but we dont keep it outside. However, it suprises me that you are still getting overflow despite it not being very full. Does it happen when the tank is only half full or less?

bwop
10-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I had similar problems with spillage when filling (2009 x45)up you just have to be more carefull once you hit 3/4. Someone had mentioned a recall. I called my dealer and he has nothing on file about the vent.

johkur
10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
But for winter storage, due to ethanol in the fuel, isn't the manufacturer instruction that stabilizer should be be put in the fuel, and the tank filled all the way, to avoid room for condensation? If people do that for the winter, at some point there will a warm enough day to cause expansion. So is it damned if you do, damned if you don't? What level should the gas be at for winter storage? (leakage hasn't happened to me though over last winter, although the tank was 'filled' for the winter).

TallRedRider
10-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I usually fill it up and then go for 1 more run. That burns a few gallons which is not going to be much for condensation, but eliminates the gas expansion issue.