PDA

View Full Version : How to polish a dull boat

Brandit
10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I bought a black and white MC prostar and the previous owner never waxed it and left it in the sun. So, the paint is faded. I used an orbital waxer with a brightner and then a wax. It did ok but I wanted to know if I used an electric car buffer would that make the black paint come back to life? Any Ideas?
Thanks

sand2snow22
10-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, I like to use a high speed buffer with 3M rubbing compound, followed by 3M Finesse it II, followed by a good marine wax with an orbital buffer. It's easier if you remove some of the hardware. If it's really bad, you might need to wet sand. Good luck.

sand2snow22
10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Literally did this boat yesterday. It was in pretty good shape.

coz
10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Literally did this boat yesterday. It was in pretty good shape.

Nice boat :headbang:

Brandit
10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Cool! So if I use a high speed polisher I start off with a cleaner? Do I take it off with the high speed polisher or use the orbtal? Could you tell me the steps I need to do so that I dont burn the gelcoat?

bigmac
10-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Do a search on "gelcoat restoration" here on Team Talk...there are a number of threads. Personally, I'd skip all the ones that talk about hand sanding and move right on to use automotive buffers.

Properautocare.com (http://www.properautocare.com/) seems to be the go-to place for the buffers, pads, and chemicals for getting rid of the oxidation on your gelcoat.

Finnsdad
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
There is a time and place for sanding. All depends how bad the gelcoat is. I just got done helping a friend do his 88 PS190, it looks amazing. I need to have him send me some pics to post here!

Brandit
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah send some pics of thst boat. Did yall wet sand or buff?

brookview
10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Have had great luck with this polarshine m25 compound http://www.mirkaiberica.com/accessories_polishingcompounds_marine

nmcjr
10-31-2009, 01:34 PM
It sounds to me like you will need to start with a professional orbital polisher and a wool pad, like a DeWalt or similar. Consumer products and buffers will not do the trick. Vector makes one that is as effective, but much less expensive. I have one and have been happy with it.

I would suggest you go to properboatcare.com (same company as properautocare.com). Ask for their expert on gel coat, and they will be happy to talk to you and step you through it. They are very helpful and will not oversell you. But, that said, you will have to spend a few bucks on polishers, pads and chemicals. The good news is that you can bring it back to looking new.