PDA

View Full Version : Has my engine been re-built?

hkallestad
10-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Indmar ford 351 1989 PS190. When I bought the boat last summer the engine had a one piece rubber oil pan gasket, was these engines delivered with this gasket in 1989?? I'm suspecting that the engine has been overhauled/re-built sometime.

Skipper
11-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Dunno. But check the compression. If it is consistent and strong, you should be good whether the engine was rebuilt or not.

hkallestad
11-15-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't have any problems with the engine, just the one piece rubber seal made me think.

TMCNo1
11-15-2009, 08:33 AM
These engines were painted black by Indmar after marinization and if it has never been rebuilt, all the gaskets would have black paint on them. Most likely if it had ever been rebuilt, the new gaskets
sealers would not be painted and the edges of the gaskets would be exposed and not painted, unless the rebuilder or owner repainted the engine completely after the rebuild.
Also, during a rebuild, sometimes the engine cylinders will be honed and or even enlarged at least .030" over stock with new rings and or even new pistons depending on the previous damage or reason for rebuilding. You can do a cylinder volume test, multiply that one cylinder by 8 or test all 8 cylinders and add them up to compare against the original 351 cubic inch volume that is stock. This easy procedure is performed at most all race tracks to verify the legality of engines size. It's a simple matter of screwing a gauge into each cylinder spark plug hole like you would a compression test gauge. A .030" overbore would/should be around 354.5 cu.in. and a .060" overbore would/should be 358 cu.in.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Also could have replaced the pan gasket to solve a leak without rebuilding. You would have to open her up and see inside to know for sure.

TMCNo1
11-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Also could have replaced the pan gasket to solve a leak without rebuilding. You would have to open her up and see inside to know for sure.

In that case, he should see the pan gasket color w/o paint on it.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Unless the previous owner was incredibly anal when he replaced the pan gasket and ordered black paint from Indmar to paint the gasket so as to keep everything clean and original.

JK. Sounds like the engine has been apart.

Hey hkallestad, how many hours on the meter?

I suppose another possibility is the boat was repowered with a different year engine as mine was. My boat has approx. 950 hours, but the engine it was repowered with has only 450 hours.