PDA

View Full Version : Zink anode on driveshaft in salt water?

hkallestad
10-24-2009, 07:08 PM
My PS had a zink anode on the driveshaft when I bought the boat, I replace the zink every winter. Is anybody else using zink on the driveshaft? My boat stays in water(salt water) all season but the shaft is stainless isn't it??

Skipper
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
The shaft is stainless steel. However, just running in salt water is tough on metal. Living in the salt water is very harsh. Whatever you can do for added protection is good.

TMCNo1
11-13-2009, 09:36 PM
The shaft is stainless steel. However, just running in salt water is tough on metal. Living in the salt water is very harsh. Whatever you can do for added protection is good.

It's not about it eating the shaft, but the softest piece of metal in the drivetrain that effectively has a ground connection to the engine underwater that is effected like possibly the rudder, strut, prop and prop nut, so a zinc anode on the shaft will disperse the static electricity/electrolysis and it being the softest metal then will be eaten away instead.

davomaddo
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I have the shaft zinc on mine, also.
I agree - I will do anything I can to help protect against the salt.
My new Salt Water Series has a bunch of stuff wired to a huge zink on the back of the boat, but it also has the shaft zinc and a zinc on the trim plate

TMCNo1
11-14-2009, 08:05 PM
I have the shaft zinc on mine, also.
I agree - I will do anything I can to help protect against the salt.
My new Salt Water Series has a bunch of stuff wired to a huge zink on the back of the boat, but it also has the shaft zinc and a zinc on the trim plate

I've even seen the zinc anodes installed on the swim platform brackets at the factory on the saltwater boats.

Splash
11-18-2009, 04:46 AM
I also use my boat (X1) on salt water all year long. It's not a SS, so I'm adapting it as good as I can. Got my flush valve and shaft anode. Can any of you advise where else should I put anodes? Ruder? Motor? Prop nut?

hkallestad
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I would install freswater cooling instead of the flushing kit first of all, I have an anode in the heat exchanger.

I do have some kind of pitting on my rudder, maybee a anode would prevent that. If you have an anode on the shaft it shouldnt be necessary on the prop nut since prop,shaft and nut are connected I guess.

Splash
11-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks hkallestad, that's not a cheap upgrade, I'll think about it.

I've had many boats in salt water, if you take good care of them, you'll only have to replace the exhausts from time to time. Give me a call if you come over to Spain some day.

:toast:

hkallestad
11-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Freshwater cooling costs a bit yes, maybe the corrosion would be worse in Norway because of lower temperatures, I guess it all depends on the value of the boat if I would install freshwater cooling, mine came with it when i bought it.