PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Strap or Not?

RickDV
06-09-2005, 09:44 AM
So how many people use a strap on the back of their trailers and how many go "strapless?"

sizzler
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
after hearing many horror stories i would say 90% of us do now

JEREMY79
06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
I do not. I dont see the point. :confused:

ski_king
Read thru this thread. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1903&page=1&pp=10&highlight=trailer+strap)

Look at thread 141.....

I didnt before, but I do now. And I think it saved me this past Sunday.

captkidd
Welcome aboard Rick. If you do a search on "straps" you'll find a lot of discussion on this topic, and a lot of good advice.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I do, the point being to keep the boat in contact with the bunks under normal driving conditions.

JEREMY79
06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
going to get some straps be back soon.

OhioProstar
06-09-2005, 09:57 AM
just load the boat with Miller Light and go on about your business.

ski_king
06-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I didnt before, but I do now. And I think it saved me this past Sunday.
I forgot about a severe bump/dip in the road near my camp. I usually crawl at 5 MPH over this spot. I was distracted and suddenly realized I was right on it going 45. I hit the brakes hard, slowed probobly to 25 when I hit it. Looked in the mirror and saw the boat and trailer airborne, but tied together. The boat shifted slightly on the trailer, but no harm done. Scared the crap out of me though.

This year is the first I used a strap. Thanks to all for waking me up and letting me know what could happen.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
going to get some straps be back soon.

Now thar's a good lad. ;)

Pslot, we've got a boat launch pad about a mile from our lakehouse. Typically, people only forget about it once. I was scared straight when I almost jackknifed my boat to avoid killing an idiot that pulled out in front of me. Fortunately, I tend to drive about 10 mph below the speed limit when I tow anyway. Did not have the strap then. Bought it the next day.

Ric
06-09-2005, 10:10 AM
I strap it

bfinley
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
ETS - how do you strap it. Do you use a big one over the top?? Or do use a couple small ones on the back??

If you go over the top, where do you hook it on to the trailer??

I'm just asking because I have pretty much the same setup as you.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 10:36 AM
I use a large, ratcheted strap over the top behind the motorbox. I attach to the eyelits on the fenders (I have steel backing plates on the eyelits, but you may want to double check yours). I have never had issues with the fiberglass cracking on the fenders after doing this for over a year.

I use cut up tube socks to keep the strap from rubbing the gel coat. I've often said that those seat belt pads would work well for this, too, but would be a bit more expensive than old socks.

sizzler
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
i used the same method on my b'foot 200...one large one all the way over....i use 2 rear and 1 front ratchet on the X9

Ric
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
again with the socks

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I know, I know. But it's okay as long as they're not on my feet. I've been shamed into not wearing the ones with the holes in them. :)

87Craft
06-09-2005, 11:34 AM
i use a strap...cheap insurance.

martini
06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Straps here. 2 of them, one on each side of the transom, connected to the trailer. It should be considered required or mandatory equipment.

ajgressette
06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
i dont always use a strap on my 190 inboard because its so heavy but the powerstar outboard i always do because its so much lighter. its a good idea to always use them or a transom tiedown.

AJ :rolleyes:
Santee Cooper Lakes
where the water is slick as glass
and the gators are numerous.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 12:18 PM
I like the avatar, AJ.

86Craft
06-09-2005, 12:32 PM
No strap, but I should start. :rant:

ajgressette
06-09-2005, 12:52 PM
I like the avatar, AJ.
avatar is Fred. My Coach! If he cant teach you how Not to fall, no one can! Ha!

Mosaic13
06-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Great subject. When I bought my boat (March) my salesman told me that he never uses one. "With the boat buddy (as I guess they're called) pin engaged that boat's not going anywhere". However, in the service manual it talks about strapping down the boat to avoid it from bouncing, even a little, over bumps and putting undue stress on the trailer. With that, and for the reasons most of you have stated, the only question is..."Why not?". It takes two minutes and gives peace of mind.

DanC
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Why bother wearing seatbelts? I have never been in a situation where I needed them. And I certainly don't need them for the 5 mile trip to the grocery store. (insert sarcasm smilie here)

You use them in case there is an ACCIDENT.

Seat belts prevent you from doing a face plant on your windshield, tie down straps help prevent your dear Mastercraft from being divorced from your trailer and doing an a$$ plant on the road.

DanC
06-09-2005, 02:08 PM
BTW, the Mastercraft manual recommends both front and rear tie downs and the trailers (at least since 2003) have tie down points on the stern AND bow.

Evan Jones
06-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Great subject. When I bought my boat (March) my salesman told me that he never uses one. "With the boat buddy (as I guess they're called) pin engaged that boat's not going anywhere". .

Interesting. Ashamed to admit it, but one day I was in a hurry backing my boat off the trailer and forgot about the boat buddy pin. I knew I had unclipped the nose strap, and it wasn't coming off. I figured the bunks were a little dry. I gave her a little more gas in reverse, and, POP !! off she comes and the boat buddy is all bent up. Don't rely on just the boat buddy pin !!

Leroy
06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I just wish MC would ship the boat with tie downs, and have a place to hook them on the trailer!

Mosaic13
06-09-2005, 02:51 PM
My B-in-Law recently bought a Tige' (poor B@stard). It wasn't shipped with straps either. Taking it out to his lake we hit some bumps in the parking lot and we could feel the boat bouncing on the trailer. Picked up a set of straps on the way home. I bought my MC two weeks later and picked up some straps on the way to the dealership to pick it up. Wouldn't move it out of the driveway without them.

David t
06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
When I picked up my used Powerstar last year, they told me I didn't need to worry about the rear strap. The platforms blocked access to the hooks and there were no mounts on the trailer anyway. Fine....... I guess?

So, afew weeks later, pulling out of the court to the street, I cut a bit short and ride up over and then off of the curb over the storm drain. I watch in the mirror as the boat takes a hop and moves over as far as the guides allow.

I bought straps, cut back the front edge of the teak and made my 7 yr-old daughter reach down the back rail of the trailer to install the inner nut on the hooks I made for the trailer.

School Skier
06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Ask you're State Patrol or local Law Enforcement! When I bought my MC in 97 the dealer said they don't move at all while trailering. I have been strapping it down for many years. If there is a bad accident could we be held libel for it if the boat comes off the trailer?

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Usually, questions about strapping your boat to the trailer come up after you've already signed on the dotted line. Unfortunately, some dealers will tell you just about anything to get you out the door. They will move in certain circumstances and you don't have to have pulled too many of them to have the unfortunate opportunity to see it.

When it comes to civil liability, it doesn't necessarily matter whether or not it's against the law. When I was in law school, I clerked for a district judge. That summer, he had a case where a fellow, pulling a boat with a suburban, and with higher than appropriate blood/alcohol level jackknifed a boat into a girl who was on her way to church, killing her. Jury tagged him for well over $1M. I don't think the boat even came off the trailer. But had it done so, I can't imagine that that would have decreased the amount of percentage of liability the jury found in that case.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
I can't believe that dealers can honestly say this but I've heard it myself.

And in this state, the law says drivers will use tie down straps for the boat.

DanC
06-09-2005, 04:18 PM
I just wish MC would ship the boat with tie downs, and have a place to hook them on the trailer!

At least on the PS209, they added tie down rings on the stern under the platform. And the Mastercraft brand trailer has eyelets on both the stern and the bow. Every Correct Craft and Mastercraft dealer that I have dealt with has thrown in the tie downs for free.

Footin
06-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Airjunky, How do you tie down your 205? Just curious since we have the same boat.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
2 transom straps, Footin. Seems like IF one happened to break or fall off, the fact that there is a 2nd one is just good insurance.

Hey Leroy, I believe the holes for your transom straps are on the underside of the trailer in the rear each corner. The fact that you didn't get any straps is probably an oversight by your dealer.

Also, someone mentioned using the Boat Buddy in front. But if you read the manual, it says to NOT tow with the Buddy locked as it will bend the pin after you've hit a few bumps. The manual goes on to say that it's only intended to allow you to get the boat hooked to the trailer & the trailer off the ramp faster (and drier).

So I use the Buddy to pull the boat out, then winch it tight, release the Buddy pin, and then hook up a safety chain that secures the bow to the winch support.

Footin
06-09-2005, 04:39 PM
How do you hook them to the trailer? Do you remove the platform everytime you put them on?

I have a glass platform also and there is no way of putting on the straps unless you remove it.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Yea, I just swapped out my old teak step for a glass one this winter. Plus I have 2" plastic blocks between the brackets & the swimstep so the swimstep isn't under water all the time from the boat's ballast.
Between the two mods, I was able to back the step from the transom a tiny bit so I could get the hooks thru to the lifting rings.

http://airjunky.com/temp/newswimstep.JPG

Before all this, I just went around the brackets. Maybe not ideal, but better than letting the boat flop around.

BUSSTUFJ
06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I never used to but do now. Only due to the tyales of woe on this board. :cool:

Cloaked
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
i dont always use a strap on my 190 inboard because its so heavy but .....LMAO.. Another non-believer... :D

Does it ever end??? :D

Go read the thread ..... then talk to me about your inboard being soooo heavy..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Anyone ever pull their boat up on the trailer a little crooked & try to manually push the boat from one side of the trailer to the other? My 205 moves pretty easily & it's 800 lbs heavier than most others.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 05:37 PM
...it's 800 lbs heavier than most others.

Because of the tower?

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Because the majority of the ballast I use is lead & steel. I've trailered all that extra weight for a few years now too.
I know you slalom skiers are rollin your eyes at that one. Just wanted to make sure if the boat ever sank, it would go straight to the bottom. ;)

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Gotcha. :steering:

BRAZOS 205
06-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I've trailered all that extra weight for a few years now too.
Trailering 800 extra lbs is interesting. Do you have a tandem axle trailer? A single axle trailer would have a hard time with that much weight.

JEREMY79
06-09-2005, 06:24 PM
It takes two to scoot mine over on the trailer.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Trailering 800 extra lbs is interesting. Do you have a tandem axle trailer? A single axle trailer would have a hard time with that much weight.
Sure do, Brazos. I thought the same thing.
Recently I found that I had one tire, the front left, that was wearing badly on the inside. I considered the fact that I trailer that additional weight, but discounted it because I don't haul the boat much more than maybe 1000 miles per year for the last 4 or 5 years.
The boat is off the trailer for probably the next few months right now. So I'm probably going to go thru the wheel bearings & brakes & maybe take the trailer in & see if there is a problem with the axle.
Seems like if it was a weight problem it would be on all 4 tires & mostly on the rear.

Oh, and if you see Spitz or Grumpy on the river, tell them I told ya to bonk'em in the forehead for me..... :toast:

Leroy
06-09-2005, 06:38 PM
They didn't provide tie down straps and even told me I don't need them!

I couldn't find any holes for my Walmart straps so I loop around the bracket and hook on the strap again.

I was an avid non-strap person until a similar thread over a year ago.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
They didn't provide tie down straps and even told me I don't need them!
What do you bet that state law says differently. Bet that would be an interesting conversation to arrange :eek:

Leroy
06-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I see other states have that law, but do not see it in Indiana.