PDA

View Full Version : What's so "MARINE GRADE" about the Indmars??

TEAL98
10-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok, just like the title says... I know that the main bearings and rod bearings are most likely "marine grade" to be able to withstand mid-upper RPMs most of it's life but what about the other parts of the engine such as the water pump and starter? I haven't even looked at the one in my '98 but the reason being is I don't know how low it sits, and if it gets wet well, you know, thats why I asked? Heads/Valvetrain/ etc? I know the actual specifications would most likely be the same for cam lift, duration, LSA and all but are the actual materials different, like is the case with the bottom end bearings? Anybody have info or insight on this??

DooSPX
10-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, just like the title says... I know that the main bearings and rod bearings are most likely "marine grade" to be able to withstand mid-upper RPMs most of it's life but what about the other parts of the engine such as the water pump and starter? I haven't even looked at the one in my '98 but the reason being is I don't know how low it sits, and if it gets wet well, you know, thats why I asked? Heads/Valvetrain/ etc? I know the actual specifications would most likely be the same for cam lift, duration, LSA and all but are the actual materials different, like is the case with the bottom end bearings? Anybody have info or insight on this??

sealed starter and alt., brass freeze plugs, of course RWP, the heads and cam are automotive.

east tx skier
10-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Flame arrestor and, if I recall correctly, ECM (ICBW). Raw water cooled.

Block is just a truck engine though.

Double D
10-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Most of it is prevent spark right? Like the starter and alternator? You dont want spark in an enclosed space with gas fumes.

DooSPX
10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Most of it is prevent spark right? Like the starter and alternator? You dont want spark in an enclosed space with gas fumes.

yeah, that would be really bad. either a big boom or a big fire....

Laurel_Lake_Skier
10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah, that would be really bad. either a big boom or a big fire....
I always imagined it would be the boom followed by a big fire.... :eek: