PDA

View Full Version : "Other" boat company drops pro?

Jerseydave
10-22-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/742551.html?1256255709

Interesting analysis^

Which asks the question.......If a pro has a boat sponsor can he even take a set behind another company's boat? (excluding contests of course)
And have their been any other pros dropped by their boat sponsors this year because of the economy?

I bet John Force only drives Fords.........just sayin' :)

JimN
10-22-2009, 11:48 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/742551.html?1256255709

Interesting analysis^

Which asks the question.......If a pro has a boat sponsor can he even take a set behind another company's boat? (excluding contests of course)
And have their been any other pros dropped by their boat sponsors this year because of the economy?

I bet John Force only drives Fords.........just sayin' :)

It's probably not a good idea to use a competitor's product if they sponsor that person. WHether they can is up to the contract. If it's exclusive, I seriously doubt they're allowed to. I know someone who does clinics and demos for Fender guitars and amps- he can't use other brands publicly. It's fine with him, though- he would use them even if they didn't pay him.

scott023
10-23-2009, 12:36 AM
This was beaten to death on WW... it seems to me that it would be difficult to always have one of your sponsors boats with you at all times, and why turn down a pull? If you were sponsored by a shoe company and the only pair you had with you got caked with mud, would you turn down a pair of dry shoes because they didn't have the right name on them?

btriantos
10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
The economoy sure has taken it's toll in many sectors...and most people have had to suck it up as a result.. I'm sure they will be ok to hold onto last year's boat for another year? Can it really be that bad?

davomaddo
10-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Him riding behind a different boat shouldn't matter.

It happens all the time. Example - O'Niel, Nike, Hyperlite, or Billabong will get all their pros together for video shoots, etc - Many of the guys will be sponsored by different boats - but they will ride behind whatever boat O'Niel, Nike, or Billabong has at their particular event. Each guy won't fly to some remote location with their own boat.

Didn't Rathy win the tour?

Jim@BAWS
10-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Just a quick note. All the pros get out and ride behind it all. There is more to this story than meets the eye. Plain and simple. Anyone is is worth anything finds a way to train behind the X-star PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Who it the ProTour...it isn't Tige or Gekko or Sanger or Centurian

Its MASTERCRAFT!

End of Story Mike can add alot more to this than me

Jim@BAWS

woftam
10-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Just a quick note. All the pros get out and ride behind it all. There is more to this story than meets the eye. Plain and simple. Anyone is is worth anything finds a way to train behind the X-star PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Who it the ProTour...it isn't Tige or Gekko or Sanger or Centurian

Its MASTERCRAFT!

End of Story Mike can add alot more to this than me

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS is right. Consumate pros ski/ride everything available, especially anything they might have to ski/ride in competition and/or if they are actually involved in product development. Outside of competition, where they don't usually have a choice, consumate pros avoid being recorded (filmed, digitally or otherwise) using a brand other than their sponsor's. That is just good business.
As an aside, Collegiate Water Ski Nationals are being held right now. MC & CC are the two event boats. Regardless of which division (I or II) anyone skiing all three events will be skiing both boats. IIRC, the towboat draw didn't occur until shortly before the tournament. You can bet the more accomplished competitors are familiar with both towboats. Sponsored pros have more on the line.....

TallRedRider
10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I agree that there is probably more to the story.

But I would for sure add that when you are posting up You tube videos of unbeleivable tricks being done during a rider's free time, the guys sponsoring you are going to wish you were on their boat. If it happens once, just coincidence, but if it happens over and over (like with Rathy), then I bet there gets to be some friction. That is a different scenario than what happens in competition. You give that guy a free boat so that he can be seen in it, not to let it sit at the dock while you are posting up videos of yourself on someone else's boat.

Could he land those tricks behind a Nauti?

Age Fighter
10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Seems like after a slow start here on some of the posters "getting it" -- the right things have been said. There is more to the story -- what can and cannot be done is in the contract -- and don't bite the hand that feeds you is good common sense.

I don't think we'll ever see Tiger Woods playing a round of golf with his buddies wearing an Adidas Shirt. I doubt we'll see Michael Jordan on YouTube with Skechers, even if he's just hanging out.