PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket wheels and tires

cordark615
10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I am going to repaint my trailer this winter and was thinking about putting some black wheels on it to match the ones on my wifes yukon. The yukon has 20s on it, does anyone know whats the biggest wheel and tire i can put on the trailer and what the bolt pattern of the trailer is? Thanks

TMCNo1
10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I am going to repaint my trailer this winter and was thinking about putting some black wheels on it to match the ones on my wifes yukon. The yukon has 20s on it, does anyone know whats the biggest wheel and tire i can put on the trailer and what the bolt pattern of the trailer is? Thanks

Since you still show up s a guest and have no profile, you'll have to tell us what year/type (single axle or tandem axle) model trailer it is unless we should guess it's a 1990 MariStar 210 you have talked about in other threads.
If that's the case, it should 5 on 4.5" for that year. You can always take it by a tire shop or borrow one of their gauges they have to measure the pattern.
Measure from the center of the hub, to the inner edge of the trailer fender closest to the tire and allow for clearance or let the tire shop advise you on what will work. As long as the diameter of the new tire does not exceed the old tire by much it may work, it just depends on the tire wheel width not allowing the fender edge to come down and burn or cut the new tire.

cordark615
10-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the information, and i also tried to get my profile filled out.

TMCNo1
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the information, and i also tried to get my profile filled out.

This info will help you get logged on as a regular member, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26931

cordark615
10-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the link, i will try to get that taken care of. This summer my wife and i were in Knoxville Tn at the mastercraft dealership and there was a boat there with low profile tires and chrome wheels on the trailer.It was a new boat, i was just wondering if it was a dealer item,if anyone else had these,what size they were.

TMCNo1
10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the link, i will try to get that taken care of. This summer my wife and i were in Knoxville Tn at the mastercraft dealership and there was a boat there with low profile tires and chrome wheels on the trailer.It was a new boat, i was just wondering if it was a dealer item,if anyone else had these,what size they were.

It's called the Low Profile trailer option on new boat trailers from the factory.

cordark615
10-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know the size ,and if they will fit my 90 model trailer?

tgfrancis
10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
They are 18". They also make a 18" black rim that is the PWT (Pro Wakeboard Tour) edition you could get instead of the chrome so they would be black like you wanted. I am not sure if they will fit your 90 model trailer. What boat is on it? Do you have a serial number for the boat? Or bettter yet the trailer? Is it a single or dual axle? If so let me know asap. I am at the factory until tomorrow evening and i will find out and let you know. I can also get pricing for you. If you dont get back to me before then i can still find out for you.

cordark615
10-22-2009, 10:05 PM
My boat is a 1990 Maristar 210 with a tandem axle trailer. I dont have a vin# with me for the trailer,it is in the boat which is 45 minutes away.Thanks for your time.

tgfrancis
10-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Cool, I'll check it out tomorrow.

TMCNo1
10-23-2009, 08:44 AM
My boat is a 1990 Maristar 210 with a tandem axle trailer. I dont have a vin# with me for the trailer,it is in the boat which is 45 minutes away.Thanks for your time.

They should be the same 5 on 4.5" pattern as used today on the tandem trailers.
The single axle trailers of today use a 6 on 5.5" pattern.

tgfrancis
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
If TMC is correct about the lug pattern fitting then the next thing in question is the offset. You could measure for this or have a local tire shop measure this for you and then call the wheel manufacturer to see if they fit. Or you could see if your local dealer has a few of the wheels sitting around and bring your trailer up there and see if they will bolt up. I think we have a few of the PWT rims at our shop (Kentucky Boatworks) but a lot of dealers wont stock them.

I was also told that the larger rims will not fit under the standard factory fiberglass fenders. When you get the low profile option on your trailer the standard fenders are removed and stainless ones are added. You would probably have to outfit your trailer with these fenders as well which means if your not a welder you would have to have someone fabricate some brackets and weld them on.

Mastercraft teamed with a wheel company called KMC wheels to create the larger custom wheels for the low profile package. The wheels are called KMC Badlands. They are under the XD series. Once you go to the following link you will need to find the rim. I think they are on the 4th row down, there is both a black and chrome one. Here is a link to them; http://www.kmcwheels.com/html_pages/xdseries.html

All and all i dont know if it will be worth it in the end cause you will probably be looking at around $2,000 when its all said and done. Unless you get lucky and they bolt right up and someohow fit under your stock fenders. Hope this helps you and good luck. Let me know if you need anything else or will be in the Louisville, KY area anytime. You can always check out the ones we have at our dealership.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Typically when you go to a larger diameter wheel, you go to a smaller sidewall so you keep the same overall diameter. That should keep you within the factory fenders. However, the larger wheels ore often wider, so care needs to be used in selecting the proper width and wheel offset. With a little patience, and/or a good tire/wheel guy, you should be able to come up with some aftermarket wheel options that will fit inside your existing fenders.

JohnE
10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I believe someone here had an issue when trying to buy a replacement low profile wheel. The wheels made for MC have a larger hub opening than the "regular" KMC wheels. So don't try to order them from a wheel dealer since they won't fit. Now ICBW, but just thought I'd throw it out there to maybe save someone a headache.

TMCNo1
10-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Everyone needs a set of these lug nut stud templates. My tire/wheel dealer has them in a book for 4, 5 and 6 lug patterns SAE and Metric and he let me copy them off, I laminated the copy and cut out the holes. I use them to verify the lug pattern on wheels and hubs.

cordark615
10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, did some checking and my trailer has 205/75/14 tires on it now. The same size tire in a 18" is 205/40/18. I have not found out the backspacing of the new wheel but trailer looks like it has plenty of room in the fenderwells for a wider wheel. Now to the hub, i dont know if the xd wheels will work, but a friend of mine has a machine shop, and he said he could machine the centers out so they would fit,as long as there is enough aluminum to take off. Does anyone know if the lowpro kit from mastercraft has centercaps in the wheels are is just the hub showing?

tgfrancis
10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
KMC customized the Badlands wheel for mastercraft so that it could have the oil bath center instead of just the standard cap. I guess this is what you mean by just the hub showing. If i remember right the oil center is what you see so that you know if you need to change the oil. I would say your best bet is to call KMC and tell them what you are doing and they can probably help. However you may have to order the wheels through Mastercraft if you want the ones made for MC and that would prob be the easiest thing to do.

cordark615
10-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok , now i see the hubs are bigger for the oil bath hubs. My hubs are grease type so they should not be any different from a 2 wheel drive truck. Please give me any info

mcskier
10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I believe someone here had an issue when trying to buy a replacement low profile wheel. The wheels made for MC have a larger hub opening than the "regular" KMC wheels. So don't try to order them from a wheel dealer since they won't fit. Now ICBW, but just thought I'd throw it out there to maybe save someone a headache.

indeed...that was me.
Here is the thread I started if that helps: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31378

cordark615
10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
What size are your tires on your trailer?

mcskier
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
What size are your tires on your trailer?

Nexen 255/45ZR18 103Y "Extra Load"

Prostar19
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I put 22" KMC Badlands on my truck that match the 18" trailer rims. Looks awesome.

1970RSZ28
10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
What is the load rating shown on the side wall of the Nexen 255/45R 18?

mcskier
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Max load: 1929 Lbs. / 875 Kg.