PDA

View Full Version : DIY Tower Installation

wakesurfer
10-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Hello to everyone on the board! Please let me know your opinion on installing a wake boarding tower. Is it something we can do safely ourselves or is it better done by a professional? For example I was planning on installing one on my center console but realized that I had no access to the inside of the boat to screw in the backer plate, hence I decided to buy a mc instead. Now I need to install one on my Prostar 190 1995 have decided on the monster tower for price and look, but will I have access to the parts I need to make it safe and strong?;)

coz
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I've installed 3 towers on 3 boats and it's easy......just follow the directions and I suggest you get some fiberglass cloth and resin and cut out squares larger that the backing plate and lay the cloth with a throw away brush and the resin for strength. Go for it!

dstone124
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
New Dimension Towers has a beautiful product with pretty good instructions for the DIY'er. Of course the old addage, measure twice cut once comes to mind- but it's really not that bad. Reinforcement is the key with exacting hole dimension to help avoid the stress crack later in life. Coz is right, the more you can spread out that load on the gunnels, the better! Good luck!

wakesurfer
10-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Thank you very much for the info, you guys are great ! your good will actually has drummed up some confidence in me. I should have the money saved up by Summer and i'll post some pics of the job when its done.

vogelm1
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
If you're good with basic hand tools it should be no problem at all for you. I believe there are a few threads on here with install photos/tips on various towers that other members did. Besides reinforcing with backing plates, you'll want to make sure you chamfer, or put a radius on the holes that you drill (basically round off the gel coat layer) so the bolts can't contact the gel coat and possibly cause stresss cracks down the road. I just used one of those pointed stone grinding bits a little bit larger diameter than the hole I drilled. Good luck and post some photos when you decide to do it!

Double D
10-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I installed the Monster Tower on my 1994 PS 205 and as long as you follow their instructions you'll be fine. Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

The only thing I would reccomend is to figure out how you want it to look prior to installation. Monster Towers can really look bad on a boat if it is installed poorly or way spread out. You can see by the three pictures below that I took the image of the tower, the way I think it looks best, and superimposed it on my boat (second picture). Then you can see the final install in the third picture. Since then I have added the racks and the mirror. The tower does look crooked in the picture but that was an adjustment.:rolleyes:

wakesurfer
10-24-2009, 07:11 PM
WOW!!! thats awesome thanks , it looks really good. Could you tell me which monster tower that was you installed on your ps190?

coz
10-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I gotta throw mine in here because it was a snap to install :D

http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost/data/501/River061.jpg

Double D
10-24-2009, 09:06 PM
WOW!!! thats awesome thanks , it looks really good. Could you tell me which monster tower that was you installed on your ps190?

I assume your asking me. BTW, its a PS205 :rolleyes:. Anyway, when I purchased this tower back in 03 there was only one type of Monster Tower. I did notice that they have muliple types now. If I find my customer photo on the Monster Tower web site it is listed under the MT1 tower :confused:. I can only assume the MT2 is a different design of the same sized tower.

Thrall
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I installed a New Dimensions on my '96, same hull as yuour boat. Pretty easy. Had to cut down a couple of the backing plates and cut out a wire loom holder that was glassed in, but all in all, it took about 5 hrs, with a helper and would have been quicker but we speat ALOT of time maiking sure it was in the right place before drilling and had some beers too.

Thrall
10-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Here's mine. Before the racks and bimini went on. Not terribly difficult.

wakesurfer
10-28-2009, 07:27 PM
I gotta throw mine in here because it was a snap to install :D

http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost/data/501/River061.jpg

Coz, could you tell me what brand and cost out the door yours cost? including bimini or did it come with? thanks

wakesurfer
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Here's mine. Before the racks and bimini went on. Not terribly difficult.

Great pic, could you please post one with the bimini and accessories attached? thanks

wakesurfer
10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I installed the Monster Tower on my 1994 PS 205 and as long as you follow their instructions you'll be fine. Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

The only thing I would reccomend is to figure out how you want it to look prior to installation. Monster Towers can really look bad on a boat if it is installed poorly or way spread out. You can see by the three pictures below that I took the image of the tower, the way I think it looks best, and superimposed it on my boat (second picture). Then you can see the final install in the third picture. Since then I have added the racks and the mirror. The tower does look crooked in the picture but that was an adjustment.:rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for the help, could you post a pic with your monster tower and the bimini open to see how it looks ? thanks for your time.

Double D
10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi, thanks for the help, could you post a pic with your monster tower and the bimini open to see how it looks ? thanks for your time.

Sorry brother, no Bimini purchase for me..:(..yet. I did get the racks and the mirror. Here are a few more pics.

For all you haters, yes that is a tube and noodles..:rolleyes:...I have kids.

wakesurfer
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Double D thanks for the pictures!!!!! You're the Man!!!! I am impressed with the way your tower looks!!!! No prob with the tube and noodles, I have kids too they love that stuff! I used to have Huskies, they were good dogs, just always trying to run off and wouldnt come back when i called... Appreciate all the pics, looks great!

Thrall
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Great pic, could you please post one with the bimini and accessories attached? thanks

Here ya go!

Double D
10-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Double D thanks for the pictures!!!!! You're the Man!!!! I am impressed with the way your tower looks!!!! No prob with the tube and noodles, I have kids too they love that stuff! I used to have Huskies, they were good dogs, just always trying to run off and wouldnt come back when i called... Appreciate all the pics, looks great!

Oh yes! She (the dog) loves to run off :mad:. Once you get your tower installed be sure to send us the pics. Have you still decided with the Monster? What options do you plan to get?

wakesurfer
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey guys anyone know off the top of your heads which towers are compatible with the stock MC bimini tops? thanks

coz
10-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Coz, could you tell me what brand and cost out the door yours cost? including bimini or did it come with? thanks

Right here http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=579

I used my existing bimini and modified it to work under the tower http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25912&highlight=todays+project