PDA

View Full Version : How do you get white off rub rail?

jkski
06-09-2005, 08:36 AM
I have guide pole covers on my trailer that have the white lettering on them, and occassionally if the boat brushes against it during launching, the white comes off on my rub rail. Does anyone have a good solution to getting this stuff off? (Other than simply not allowing the boat to hit the guide posts!)

Thanks.

Tennesseeski
06-09-2005, 08:37 AM
You know I have the same problem. :rant:

tex
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
acetone does the trick. don't get it on your stickers.

jkski
06-09-2005, 08:39 AM
I've used mineral spirits and a lot of rubbing in the past, and it comes off, but there has to be a better way. I wish they painted cars with that stuff!

boatwake
06-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Same problem :mad: . I use an electric buffer to wax the boat. Between the wax and the buffer mine cleans up nicely and leaves the rub rail looking great. I didn't like the idea of using other chemicals that close to the gel.

tex
06-09-2005, 08:58 AM
acetone does the trick. don't get it on your stickers.
put a small amount on a rag and it comes right off.

ski_king
06-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I have the simular problem, except the white came off the dock bumpers I had last year.
I will bive acetone a try, I was about to replace the rubber insert in the rub rail.

stevo137
06-09-2005, 09:30 AM
When I had my 88 I used Meguiars heavy duty oxidation remover on the boat and tried it on the rub rail and it worked great. Took it off easily and worked great on the boat too.
It will also remove scratches from the gelcoat.
I would not use Acetone near my gelcoat.

JEREMY79
06-09-2005, 09:46 AM
laquer (sp?) thinner will also work. It is a little less aggressive than acetone. Still dont get it on the stickers.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Acetone works well getting the boat buddy residue of the hull, too. From numerous sources, I've been made to understand that it won't harm your gelcoat if you immediately rinse afterwards with mild detergent and warm water and follow up with a good waxing. I've used it on my boat once or twice before I ditched the boat buddy and have seen no ill effects from it.

As Tex mentioned, a little dab 'll do ya.

But that's just been my experience. If you're not comfortable doing it, by all means, try something else.

jmac197
06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
You really have to be careful with that Acetone. I use it to smooth out any digs or gouges on the rub rail. It will actually melt the rub rail.

I have had good luck with polishing compound or rubbing compound if the white marks are heavy. Of course followed by a good wax.

Cary K.
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I too will jump on the acetone bandwagon. And yes, a lil dab will do ya. I use it for the rub rail, and for cleaning sticker goo off.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
You really have to be careful with that Acetone. I use it to smooth out any digs or gouges on the rub rail. It will actually melt the rub rail.

I have had good luck with polishing compound or rubbing compound if the white marks are heavy. Of course followed by a good wax.

Haven't tried it on the rub rail. I guess I have a white mark or two from my guide pads, but it's never been enough to bother me. And I tend to get some use out of them when I trailer the boat.

prostar205
06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Goof Off - you can get it at any Home Depot. I have also used a buffer with some cleaner wax.

The other method would be to buy some guide pole pads without lettering. Really, if you think about it, the white lettering is going to come off in time no matter how carefull you are. When it does come off, the pads are going to look like crap. After going thru 3 sets of MasterCraft trailer guide pads, I went to an all black (no lettering) pad for my new X30. They are cheaper ($19/set) and you don't have to worry about the white coming off.

Here is a link to where I got mine.

http://www.fundamentalwatersports.com/guidepads.html

BrianM
06-09-2005, 11:49 AM
As I think someone here posted I used a little #0000 steel wool slightly wet. The white funk (from the PVC as I do not have pads) comes off very easily. I had tried Goof Off, Acetone, Mineral Spirits before and all required a LOT of rubbing. With the steel wool it took me a total of about 15 minutes to do the rail all the way around. Followed up with a little 303 and it looks shinny and new.

jkski
06-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will try the least aggressive route first and graduate from there. I'll post what works best.

rodltg2
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
the mastercrfat ones are so much cooler! mastercraft name isnt hardly placed enough on my whole get up.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Goof Off as worked for me. Or just a sponge with the scoch brite pad on one side.... and soap & water.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I used goof off to get the adhesive out of my motorbox when I replaced the noise reduction foam. Powerful stuff.

erkoehler
06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Goo Gone will also work, pretty much the same as Goof off.

scramison
03-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Goof Off - you can get it at any Home Depot. I have also used a buffer with some cleaner wax.

The other method would be to buy some guide pole pads without lettering. Really, if you think about it, the white lettering is going to come off in time no matter how carefull you are. When it does come off, the pads are going to look like crap. After going thru 3 sets of MasterCraft trailer guide pads, I went to an all black (no lettering) pad for my new X30. They are cheaper ($19/set) and you don't have to worry about the white coming off.

Here is a link to where I got mine.

http://www.fundamentalwatersports.com/guidepads.html

But then how do you know if you loaded it perfect or not? :D

FlatBoard
03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Magic Eraser works well also,but it will scratch gel coat.

cf_koch
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I use some baking soda on a piece of cloth or a scotchbrite pad. Works with very little rubbing.

kjohnson
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Car dealers use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl - like you buy in a drugstore) to remove tar, pine sap and asphalt from car paint. It works well and won't harm the paint. I have used it many times myself.

fresh36
03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I have heard that WD-40 will take it off. I will give it a try next time.