PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate Waterski Nationals

nanneyman
10-21-2009, 11:28 PM
the college waterski National tournament starts tomorrow in Calif. It's Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You can view it on the web at www. NCWSA.com It should be some great skiing. Go Georgia, Clemson and Alabama!!!

coz
10-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Go Georgia, Clemson and Alabama!!!

Sorry dude! ASU's gonna take it http://www.asuwaterskiteam.com/Scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=12 :D

woftam
10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Wow, the NCWA looks like they have disenfranchised the heck out of northeast and mid-Atlantic area schools. It doesn’t seem to be a positive development to cut out a corner of the country while keeping “national” in the organization’s title. It’s not like there are no schools/skiers there…..

Hollywood
10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow, the NCWA looks like they have disenfranchised the heck out of northeast and mid-Atlantic area schools. It doesn’t seem to be a positive development to cut out a corner of the country while keeping “national” in the organization’s title. It’s not like there are no schools/skiers there…..

If those schools do not want to participate *** is the NCWSA supposed to do about it? Bribe them with cookies? Any full-time student can ski 4 years A-team in the NCWSA, even if your "team" is just yourself at a community college.

Sodar
10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm going to be up there on Saturday to watch a bit.

woftam
10-22-2009, 12:40 PM
If those schools do not want to participate *** is the NCWSA supposed to do about it? Bribe them with cookies? Any full-time student can ski 4 years A-team in the NCWSA, even if your "team" is just yourself at a community college.

First, congratulations to all the skiers/schools attending. The Intercollegiate Nationals are a lot of fun and there will be some excellent skiers/performances.

For some skiers, their team is a varsity sport and they receive substantial support with practice facilities and travel funds. Other teams are on the club level and run the gamut from getting facility/$ support to no school support at all. I was one of the leaders of a University of Maryland Team that won the Eastern Regionals (held at Lex Carrol’s Adam’s Pond in Mass.) three years straight. (when I skied intercollegiate, there were more conferences) I provided the boats and a practice facility (course & jump) for our team. We were self-funded (personal funds and made money giving ski lessons/pulls to students, held a tournament, & secured a non-school sponsor) with no particular support available through the athletic department or SGA. I was also fortunate to have gone to the Nationals twice (last time on the bayou @ Louisiana-Monroe) and the All-Stars once.

At first blush, it looks like the conference re-alignment, that took place some years ago, has not been good for keeping northeastern schools represented. I couldn’t find one listed in the current ranking that lists ~75 schools.

You are 100% correct that you can be your own team. Just pay the entrance fee, grab your gear, and show up to represent your school at regional or open intercollegiate events. I knew several skiers who did just that. It doesn’t even look like that is happening wrt NE schools now, otherwise they would at least show up toward the bottom of the rankings.

I’m not sure if NCWSA should/can do anything about the lack of representation from NE schools, but it does not look good that a heavily populated corner of our country is not represented. Just sayin….

Hollywood
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
At first blush, it looks like the conference re-alignment, that took place some years ago, has not been good for keeping northeastern schools represented. I couldn’t find one listed in the current ranking that lists ~75 schools.

I’m not sure if NCWSA should/can do anything about the lack of representation from NE schools, but it does not look good that a heavily populated corner of our country is not represented. Just sayin….

I think it's probably more to do with the actual skiers themselves. The fall season seems to be a bit shorter up there than elsewhere. I'm sure they could open up a Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, but there wouldn't be anyone in them! Everyone is invited, I don't see how that's at all the NCWSA's fault.

Most schools (at least in the Midwest) are club teams as well, fully self-funded.

Thee also aren't a lot of show ski clubs in those same regions, is that the NSSA's fault too?

woftam
10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I think it's probably more to do with the actual skiers themselves. The fall season seems to be a bit shorter up there than elsewhere. I'm sure they could open up a Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, but there wouldn't be anyone in them! Everyone is invited, I don't see how that's at all the NCWSA's fault.

Most schools (at least in the Midwest) are club teams as well, fully self-funded.

Thee also aren't a lot of show ski clubs in those same regions, is that the NSSA's fault too?

I'm not pushing the issue of assigning fault.
When I left school, the participation in the northeast and mid-Atlantic was fair to good and growing. There were several teams with multiple shortline slalom skiers, 100+' jumpers, and 2000+/- point single trick runs. We had the strongest women's team in our region. Lex Carrol and our coach/sponsor were big supporters and planted the seeds for that growth. Lex's health was failing then and our coach/sponsor passed away ~10 years ago. Seems that left a big hole?
For the number of competitive waterskiers in the northeast and mid-Atlantic, zero representation in NCWSA is disproportionate. It's an active comp skiing region vs your show skiing example. Someone has missed the boat.

T-Rager
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
the college waterski National tournament starts tomorrow in Calif. It's Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You can view it on the web at www. NCWSA.com It should be some great skiing. Go Georgia, Clemson and Alabama!!!

The coverage seems to be lame. There is no camera coverage of any of the events and the background music is very annoying. Two thumbs down. Sorry.

coz
10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
The coverage seems to be lame. There is no camera coverage of any of the events and the background music is very annoying. Two thumbs down. Sorry.

There's a live stream I was just watching......they need to turn the cam but there's coverage.

Hollywood
10-22-2009, 02:23 PM
woftam, I understand your frustration. I wish there was something the NCWSA/NSSA could do to increase participation on a national level.

Double D
10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Nice that they have the web cam, but they need to work on its location and view. But they know that....

woftam
10-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Nice that they have the web cam, but they need to work on its location and view. But they know that....

They had the webcam aimed at the jump ramp earlier today and you could actually watch some jumping. They made improvements. Thank you to them for the effort.

nanneyman
10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Most ski teams in the south are club teams also, with the exception of Alabama and maybe one or two others. I know the Georgia team gets a little money from the University, but not a whole lot. Most of the expenses are paid by the team members and parents. I do know that all the team members have a great time and enjoy skiing and the tournaments a lot.
Anyone out there want to donate a boat to the Georgia team? Go Dawgs!

woftam
10-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Most ski teams in the south are club teams also, with the exception of Alabama and maybe one or two others. I know the Georgia team gets a little money from the University, but not a whole lot. Most of the expenses are paid by the team members and parents. I do know that all the team members have a great time and enjoy skiing and the tournaments a lot.
Anyone out there want to donate a boat to the Georgia team? Go Dawgs!

I can understand not donating a boat, unless you have deep pockets, but you could also do good by arranging to be around during practice time and to provide some pulls if they need more boat time. Pick your favorite team in need of a boat for practice time.