PDA

View Full Version : LB Marine Stadium Under Fire TOMORROW 10/22

Ryan
10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey SoCA guys, please share your support to keep Marine Stadium from some new restrictions. Please take some time if you live anywhere near Long Beach to attend the public hearing.

THE MEETING IS TOMORROW!!! Please forward this info to everyone you know. I hope to get back to CA some day and know that water use limitations are a slippery slope. I don't know what I'd do if that place did not exist for skiing. Skiing the leeward side of Catalina isn't near as convenient.

I received this from WakeExperience just today.
IMMEDIATE ATTENTION - SAVE YOUR WAKEBOARDING, WATERSKIING and BOATING in the LONG BEACH MARINE STADIUM

A public hearing will be held, by the City of Long Beach, tomorrow over the proposed rule change reducing the available hours of use of the Long Beach Marine Stadium for waterskiing, wakeboarding and boating to the public between the hours of 9am to 3pm. Support is needed to keep this rule from going into effect. Every person counts to stop this going itno effect.

This is part of the Alamitos Bay Marina Rebuild Public Meeting, and the rule change is being proposed by the Long Beach Rowing Associations and would go into effect immediately. The meeting will be held as follows:

Date : October 22, 2009 (Tomorrow - Thursday)

Time : 6:30 p.m.

(Located at Ximeno, between 7th and 10th
Bellflower to 7th - right turn or Redondo to 7th - left turn)

Questions, please call me immediately, Nick Heaney 407.491.1873

Your help with this matter is needed, please spread the word to keep those early morning and sunset runs available!

"Keep Recreational Watersports alive in Southern California

Sodar
10-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I'll be there!

Ryan
10-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks, I knew you would! Take some friends and pass this on.

Let me know how it goes. I want to know what group is pushing for it. I can't find further details on the longbeach.gov.

Sodar
10-22-2009, 12:32 AM
It is the rowers. Those guys are the BIGGEST bunch of A-holes, EVER!

Nick and Julz have become the new figures in the stadium and are down there 5+ days a week. The rowers, residents and lifeguards are doing EVERYTHING they can to get rid of them and all boat traffic over 5mph. It is getting bad and the Stadium is getting close to being closed for good. :(

Ryan
10-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I have some respect for rowing, but seriously?

They have 4 other areas that are just as or more protected, straight and similar length to row in. There's BayShore, along Ocean Blvd, under the other side of 2nd St or up toward the cannal along Studebaker! Plus, if there are no boats in there, say on a Tues morning, they can use the stadium all they want.

Ryan
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Why are the lifeguards for it? Patroling it adds a little more job security, which I'd want if I was a city employee in CA right now. Have there been accidents or abusive behavior with trash/gas/oil issues on the beach or in the water?

coz
10-22-2009, 11:53 AM
We have lots of memories from MS, my mom lives right down the street from there and my sister went to Wilson high.....guess I'll call mom & sis and have them rally the troops.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/ms.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/ms1.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/ms2.jpg

Ryan
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
We have lots of memories from MS, my mom lives right down the street from there and my sister went to Wilson high.....guess I'll call mom & sis and have them rally the troops.

Coz, I think something's wrong with your computer...those pics are so small. ;)

coz
10-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Coz, I think something's wrong with your computer...those pics are so small. ;)

I pulled them off my Mom's fb pics :D

funk
10-22-2009, 03:47 PM
This is my hood, yet I was unaware of any of this. I'll try my best to get there but if not will send some friends to voice their(our) opinion. Was out last Friday evening and Saturday afternoon for a few runs! Air 85, water 67!!

Ryan
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
So, I hear the meeting wasn't very productive, or at least not much of a public hearing since discussion over the issue is not allowed....

Sodar
10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
So, I hear the meeting wasn't very productive, or at least not much of a public hearing since discussion over the issue is not allowed....

Pretty much. I really hope this B S does not pass. :mad:

funk
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
We Need Your Support to Keep Wakeboarding and Waterskiing at the Marine Stadium!
On Nov 12th at the Long Beach Yacht Club the representatives of the Youth and Adult Rowing Clubs are coming together to vote on the hours of operation for powerboats at the Marine Stadium. They are proposing to take our hours of Waterskiing and Wakeboarding away by increasing their rowing hours. If they are successful in changing the rule this would mean that Waterskiiers and Wakeboarders would only be able to use the water between the hours of 9am - 3pm Monday to Friday from Labor Day thru Memorial Day Weekend, thus taking away any option of riding before or after work.
It is very important for you to know that only you the users of the stadium have the power to overturn this vote!. We need your vote to help fight to keep your Wakeboarding and Waterskiing hours from changing!
Help save the water for everyone by taking our survey, it's only a few clicks and will take under a minute, as we need your data. We also need you to forward this email and survey to any friends or family that use the stadium.
For more information, contact us at 310 251 7227 or email us at lbmswwa@gmail.com.

Survey- http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e2m9meo0g1g204jw/a012yg1w8egc3/questions

mrm2083
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Man I hope you guys succeed. It makes me sad to read this as a few years ago we lost the Miami Marine Stadium to rowers. Forget about time restrictions, the stadium is now restricted at all hours. It really sucks