PDA

View Full Version : '01 PS190, Fuel consumption w/Predator engine...

Storm861triple
10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Borrowed my friends boat this weekend for a Powell trip (never summerized my own boat this year). Again, boat is an '01 PS190, Predator 310hp TBI motor.

I was shocked by the fuel consumption that I witnessed from the thing. At first, I thought that the gauge was off or perhaps moved "fast" up top, then "slower" down toward the bottom of the range? But no...it fell rapidly, top to bottom. We ran through a full tank in about 5-7 hours of operation (need to check gauge). For those that know Powell, I put in at bullfrog,
*drove to mid Halls Creek to camp.
*From there back to Hall marina,
*then to that little canyon just west of the enterance to Halls creek,
*back to camp,
*pulled skiers for about 5 minutes total skiing time,
*pulled air chair for about 5 minutes,
*skied again next morning for about 5 minutes total time,
*then drove back to Halls marina, got 2 gallons of gas so I could make it back to Bullfrog
*then arrived at bullfrog on fumes.

Doesn't seem right to me. Most of the travel was at 2800-3000 RPM. Using Google maps it looks like I travelled about 51 miles, skied for 10 minutes, and airchaired for 5 (another ~9 miles). 60 miles total, 32 gallons...1.8mpg?

scramison
10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Sounds about right actually. What kind of engine are you comparing the consumption to?
That engine uses roughly 5-7 gallons per hour from what I have read and experienced via the MCX. That would put you around 25-49 gallons from your 5-7 hour estimate. The gas tank is somewhere around 32 or 33 gallons I think?

Another point to make is the gas tank could have been almost full but the gauge read it as full?

agua4fun
10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I have an '01 PS190 with the LTR 330. I get almost exactly 10 hours on a really full tank (filled on level ground on the trailer) seems to average about 3gph.

My guage works the following way.
1/4 tank mark = 2 gallons
1/2 tank mark = 5 gallons (+3)
3/4 tank mark = 10 gallons (+5)
full tank mark = 18 gallons (+8)
then i can still put in ~12 more gallons till it is FULL

Keeping that in mind, if I fill the tank in the water, and i am the only one in the boat while filling, i cant get in the last 8 gallons. too much weight (180lbs) on the filler side.

Id bet your guage said full but you had just over the 18 gallons on board.

Could be wrong, but these are the numbers i have been using!

Farmer Ted
10-20-2009, 11:00 PM
5-7 hours is a big difference

if it's 5 hours i'd use about 20-21 gallons
7 hours would be 28-30 gallons

that's with a LT1 ACME 541 at 741 feet MSL

Chicago190
10-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Well something is wrong here because your distance is very low for the amount of fuel used, but your RPM estimate indicates you were probably going ~25 MPH, so you should have covered at least twice the distance you have estimated.

AussieMC
10-21-2009, 03:04 AM
I have set up a spreadsheet to check my fuel usage over the entire season, (2003 ps197tt - RPT 310hp) overall I averaged 12.81 litres/hour (3.38 US Gallons/hour) and the season before that I used last season I used 12.44 ltrs/hr (3.28 US Gallons/hr). The total usage was 90hrs one season and 85hrs the following, so it's a fair indication of the average fuel consumption you should expect. I use the boat on a slalom course 26 - 36mph, Wakeboarding/wakeskating, kneeboarding and some barefooting.

oldriver
10-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I use 5 GPH with an LT-1 and a powerslot.that is overall use and we ski at 36mph so we are not easy on the gas.

Storm861triple
10-21-2009, 03:06 PM
The last time the boat was filled (before this trip) was on the trailer. You can tell when it's full b/c you get some spillage out of the vent.

I'm comparing it to my own '92 190 w/a carb'ed 351 that runs around 2.5-3.0 GPH, or ~3mpg when "travelling".

Most of our "travel" was at 20-25 mph By 30 mph, this boat is turning 3500 RPM, which seems weel beyond "fuel savings" mode, to me.

Idle time and towing the air chair is why our mph doesn't jibe w/mile traveled and average travel speed. I posted average travelling speeds so you'd know that I wasn't going from Bullfrog to Halls at WOT, for example.

For the very short time that we did slalom, our slalom speeds were 30-32 mph.

I think the consumption is excessive. It seems like every time I turned the key, there goes 1/8 tank, no matter what we did. :(

I'll get an accurate hours number tonight when I'm home.

Thrall
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Tom, Too bad you didn't get your boat out this year. Sounds like you were averaging around 5gph fuel consumption. That does seem excessive. My 190 is 3-4gph and the new boat, from the few times I've been out is right around 4 gph (without ballast full). Neither of those #'s are really loaded down, long WOT runs, or anything like that, just avg cruising 25-30mph, some boarding, some skiing, etc.

Storm861triple
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Tom, Too bad you didn't get your boat out this year.I know it. It sucks, and sad to say, but it's hardly worth it around here (locally) anymore. The reservoirs are completely chock full...and they're full of idiots. Then there are the rent-a-cops. In the last two years, I've been boarded EVERY SINGLE TIME that I've put my boat on northern UT waters. Frequently, by the same moron who has previously boarded my boat and seen everything. Almost all of the times that I've been approached and boarded, I was anchored, eating lunch w/the family, no music. Who would approach and board that situation? Why? And repeatedly?? The exception was once I had to drop a skier MID TOW, because I wasn't holding my flag "high enough" (it was "high enough"). That's not what boating is all about. I've thought about selling mine, but I've also thoguht about moving too, so I hold on to it for now...

It's a bummer though, the boating "scene" here in northern UT. Junk.

Panda Cub
10-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Coming from a guy who is currently saving up to buy a boat, and has grown up in a family of die hard skiers, and averaging 5 gph is not bad at all.

Because I am a large guy (200 lbs), and I set down after every pass, I figure in 8 passes through the course at 34 mph I burn 2-3 gallons. Because I burn so much gas I have typically thrown my uncles or whoever is pulling me either $10 or case beer. I wish I was skiing behind a boat averaging 3 gph! If I was skiing behind that boat I could just leave them a 12 pack!

Thrall
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I know it. It sucks, and sad to say, but it's hardly worth it around here (locally) anymore. The reservoirs are completely chock full...and they're full of idiots. Then there are the rent-a-cops. In the last two years, I've been boarded EVERY SINGLE TIME that I've put my boat on northern UT waters. Frequently, by the same moron who has previously boarded my boat and seen everything. Almost all of the times that I've been approached and boarded, I was anchored, eating lunch w/the family, no music. Who would approach and board that situation? Why? And repeatedly?? The exception was once I had to drop a skier MID TOW, because I wasn't holding my flag "high enough" (it was "high enough"). That's not what boating is all about. I've thought about selling mine, but I've also thoguht about moving too, so I hold on to it for now...

It's a bummer though, the boating "scene" here in northern UT. Junk.

I feel your pain. Sounds like a particular lake, closest one to where I live. Always crowded, full of Wallies and in 3 outings, I've been checked 5 times. Once for a skiier that dropped right next to the no ski zone and I came around in the no ski zone to pick him up (it's not no wake and noone was on the rope when I was in the no ski area!) Checked twice in one day for safety equipment, a real pita pulling everything out from the nose of a closed bow. Once for swimming more than 5' from the boat (not a law, just "their law" on that lake!
Checked for safety equipment on the new boat after being checked on shore while it took 1.5hrs to "decontaminate" the ballast. Threatened to kick me off the lake because I wouldn't let him board the new boat with his dirty @ss shoes! I don't go back there now. Too bad, 'cause it's the warmest of a bunch of really cold lakes in the mtns. Oh well, sleddin soon!

Storm861triple
10-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Man...it sounds like we're in teh same situation pretty much. :( sorry to hear about yours. That's just not right at all. Not what boating should be about. I hear you about sledding. Coming soon! :) I fired up both mine for the first time the other day. Got my blood going!

Because I am a large guy (200 lbs), and I set down after every pass, I figure in 8 passes through the course at 34 mph I burn 2-3 gallons. That seems reasonable. I'd agree with that. However, an extremely small percentage of the use last weekend, was skiing. None of THAT was over 32, and I don't weigh 200. I checked the hour meter and it was 5.3 hours. 32 gallons pumped = 6.03gph. Is what it is, I guess. Seems "thirsty" to me.

Thrall
10-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah, fortunately, it's just the one lake. I dunno why. The other lakes up here, the fish cops are cool and professional, but for some reason they all have something to prove at Rifle Gap!:mad: Maybe that's where they send the losers before they fire them or somethin.