PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Stringers?

Panda Cub
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
What year did Mastercraft start putting fiberglass stringers in their boats?

I know that correct craft integrated the stringers into their hulls in 1993, and I thought that Mastercraft did this before correct craft did.

Does anybody know?

corey
10-20-2009, 05:28 PM
mid way through 1983, all 1984s would have composite stringers.

Joe in Dublin
10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
I wish our 86 Malibu had them.....

Panda Cub
10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
mid way through 1983, all 1984s would have composite stringers.

All 84s and newer have composite stringers? I can't believe they started putting those in their boat that early!

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm currently in the process of saving money to buy a boat, and having composite stringers would be really nice. I know the mastercrafts with composite stringers rode a little rough, or should I say rougher than the nautiques; however does anyone have any opinions on the wake behind the boat?

I'd appreciate any opinions on the mid 80s-early 90s mastercrafts; I really want to get the most bang for my buck with a boat, and would not be against spending a little more to get a little bit better boat if a couple years newer is that much better. Unfortunately money is a little bit of an issue for me, because I am a teacher, and not an investment banker my price range is $8000 and less.

corey
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
This should help get you started
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29236&highlight=history

I used to ski and ride behind an 89' loved it, worked perfectly for everything I would want to do. For 190's the 1994 is widely considered one of the best (EFI motor standard and awesome hull) My dream boat is a 1996 ProStar 205 with an LT-1, I know who has the one I want but he's not selling and I don't have the cash yet.

Archimedes
10-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Loved my 94 ProStar 190. If you're looking for a closed bow, that is a fantastic boat. Not a boat to be cutting through the chop on Saturday afternoon though, obviously. A decent one goes for a little more than $8k these days, however. Not too much though.

WilliM1940
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Mid eighties to early ninties Mastercrafts are better ski boats with smoother lips on the wakes than a CC 2001 of the same vintage. The CC 2001 is probably a more prized boat due to its wake characteristics for wake boarding and its higher free board. These earlier MC’s don’t ride much higher in the water than a 60’s or 70’s V-drive. The composite stringers of the MC are glued to the hull, later models are now attached during layup with resin. Still waiting on durability results of that construction but so far, so good. If you get an MC with a powerslot (1.52:1 final drive ratio) it will have a stronger pull than the CC. Both boats suffer from interior room problems, 3 people is about it.

In your area, I would think an MC would do just fine, I don’t think you would encounter the types of rough water we do in the northeast, more of the small calm lakes the boat was made for. Just guessing, I lived around Chicago when I was a kid. One of these early MC’s is tough on your bottom in rough water, but they handle like…damn, can’t describe how good. CC’s handle like not so good. Lots of people out in your area are into CC rebuilding, expect to redo stringers on a boat of that age, but help is available, CCers are a dedicated bunch it seems, but for all that work they are maybe a tad overpriced, and you have to be careful and know the signs in the gel coat for bad stringers.

88 PS190
10-20-2009, 07:07 PM
There are disadvantages to fiberglass stringers, although the not rotting thing is pretty good.

I think if I were shopping currently, and willing to search/wait/drive to get one, I would look at 89 up. Mostly because in 89 they put this plastic thing on the pylon, which reduces rope wear.

I would not have a problem buying another 88, love my boat too, and it was a good deal, and on the next lake over (drove it back through the river, didn't even need to trailer)

Interiors get more spacious on the newer boats, and they get more free board. Although I've gone across our lake on 2 foot swells safely, you have to go very slow and you get sprayed over the sides a lot. So a higher free board could help that.

liledgy
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
The plastic thing on the pylon would be # 200 on my list for important things to check for. I have a early 83 with no signs of the stringers rotting. I know the 85's and 86's made creeking noises under power they had fiberglass floors in addition to stringers ( the noise never bothered me and it had no other durability issues because of it. I don't know for a fact but most of the people on this board that have posted about doing stringer repairs have had mid 70's MCs or earlier. I don't remember anyone in the 80's. Although a friend of mine bought his 80 slot at the end of 81 and in06 his motor shifted slightly and he discovered part of his stringer had rotted. I think MC had better encaptureation (?) process in the 80's than the 70's and probably better wood although I can't prove it, only going by the posts. Good luck.

WilliM1940
10-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I have an '85, it does not creak under power, although I have seen this previously mentioned elsewhere the only thing that creaks on mine is the observer seat cushion on the fiberglass riser. Anyone else know of this creaking under power?

Just to clarify, expect to redo stringers on any CC of the same mid 80's up vintage, although I wouldn't think an older wooden stringered MC would be any different.

liledgy
10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Will, Its been a few years since I've been in a 85 or 86 but the noise I heard was when you would be going at slalom cours speeds and you would here a noise coming from behind you like a creeking or a rattle, we thought it was because MC went to fiberglass floors in 85 and attributed it to the floor and stringers rattling together. As far as stringers rotting on mid 80's MC's I havn't seen any previous posts on them.

kjohnson
10-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I have skied behind many different models of MasterCraft's and Corrrect Crafts (Nautiques). CC did not have a good wake until 1997. Any MC 1983-1994 will have a better slalom wake than a CC 1983-1994. Most CC's did have a smoother ride and less spray though.

Panda Cub
10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
All great information! Thanks guys!

What are disadvantages of the fiberglass stringers?

Can the fiberglass composite stringers rot at all?

What about the fiberglass floor?

If they do need to be replaced, how awful of a job is it? Has anybody out there done any work on their fiberglass stringers.

A big reason for wanting the integrated composite stringers is that I used to work in an auto body shop, and now I hate doing any sort of body work. Engine work is fine with me; so I'd rather rebuild a trans before I have to tear up the floor and put in new wood stringers. When I was young I saw my dad help a family friend replace wooden stringers in a boat and it's just a long time consuming job where I'd rather spend that time skiing.

TMCNo1
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
All great information! Thanks guys!

What are disadvantages of the fiberglass stringers?

Can the fiberglass composite stringers rot at all?

What about the fiberglass floor?

If they do need to be replaced, how awful of a job is it? Has anybody out there done any work on their fiberglass stringers.

A big reason for wanting the integrated composite stringers is that I used to work in an auto body shop, and now I hate doing any sort of body work. Engine work is fine with me; so I'd rather rebuild a trans before I have to tear up the floor and put in new wood stringers. When I was young I saw my dad help a family friend replace wooden stringers in a boat and it's just a long time consuming job where I'd rather spend that time skiing.

The integrated fiberglass stringer/floor/bilge liner was designed to eliminate rot, not allow it. If there is no rot in the boats with the integrated hull/stringer/floor/bilge liner, then there is no need or reason to have to do work or repair them. There have been occasions where the floor panel pieces behind the motor cover, between the stringers have become weak from stress or overloading, or something, but there are/have been methods to replace/repair them with minimal effort. Fiberglass components that have had the fiberglass mats, sheets, etc., totally saturated with resin during layup will not wick water either, unless a manufacturer made some shortcuts in the layup process, but that has never been a issue with MC boats for the most part. There were problems back in the day, where the foam would hold water, but that has also been eliminated.
Unless the boat has been sunk and kept underwater for a extended period of time or has been allowed to sit in the open with the bilge plug in and has filled with water for a extended period of time, I wouldn't even let it bother me and if that has been the case, there are more problems to be cured than just wet fiberglass components.

JMann
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a 1991 PS190 and it's a great boat close to your price range. It does everything I want it to do slalom ski a lot and a little wake boarding. I will say it's not really a family boat (I will be up grading in the next few years when the kids get older and wants to bring friends) 4 adults is about the max you can have comfortably I've done 5 put it is VERY tight.
You should really consider what you will be using the boat for before you decide what type of boat to buy. Don't jump into something that isn't going to meet your needs, i.e. don't buy a 91 PS190 and want to wakeboard. It has one of the best slalom wakes ever but would need a ton of ballast to have a semi acceptable for wake boarding. (Literally a ton I was talking to a guy at the dealer who told me I needed 4 500LBS sacks to have a good wake)
Good luck any MC you end up with will be a good boat

Panda Cub
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Awesome!

I appreciate the info.

I am pretty much sold on getting a MC over a CC solely for the fiberglass stringers.

Does anyone have an opinion on the wake of these old MCs? I know they are significantly smaller than the ski nautique "2001" wake.

I'm not a tournament skier anymore, due to furthering my education and not having enough time to ski on a regular basis. Typically, I ski the course for fun at speeds 32-34 mph, and never go any shorter than 28 off; so I feel a 84-early to mid 90s mastercraft should be fine for me.

How is the spray at these speeds?
Is the wake hard?
I'm around 200 lbs, do the boats track well enough that a non tournament caliper driver will be able to keep me going straight through the course?

All of your input is really helping me. Much appreciated.

TMCNo1
10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Awesome!

I appreciate the info.

I am pretty much sold on getting a MC over a CC solely for the fiberglass stringers.

Does anyone have an opinion on the wake of these old MCs? I know they are significantly smaller than the ski nautique "2001" wake.

I'm not a tournament skier anymore, due to furthering my education and not having enough time to ski on a regular basis. Typically, I ski the course for fun at speeds 32-34 mph, and never go any shorter than 28 off; so I feel a 84-early to mid 90s mastercraft should be fine for me.

How is the spray at these speeds?
Is the wake hard?
I'm around 200 lbs, do the boats track well enough that a non tournament caliper driver will be able to keep me going straight through the course?

All of your input is really helping me. Much appreciated.

They've been good enough for their share of Nation/World Records since 1972 by the best skiers in the world, so................................................ .............:rolleyes: