PDA

View Full Version : racheting boat cover photo wanted

LaRue
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
could someone show me a photo of a racheting boat cover? especially interested in the transom part where rachet is located. i am going to attempt to convert canvas strap cover.

russlars
10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Sorry I don't have a picture showing the ratchet on the back, but here is a pic of the cover on my 205.

bbymgr
10-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Here are a couple of the back.

LaRue
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Since i have two strap covers, any thought about the possibility of coverting this style? thought was to run nylon webbing around through slot and attach rachet on back. my main concern is making sure it doesn't ride up on the back corners. those new covers look awesome but don't come cheap

C36
10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
could someone show me a photo of a racheting boat cover? especially interested in the transom part where rachet is located. i am going to attempt to convert canvas strap cover.

Here is a picture of mine - added to mine myself.

Picture of the transom of the boat (with skirt down).

Picture of the ratchet. Not shown well in the picture but there is a rubber pad mounted on the rear of the ratchet so that the extra tension on the strap does not cause the back of the metal ratchet to mark the boat.

Picture of the boat floating with skirts up (ratchet makes a big difference in preventing ponding on the mooring cover).

LaRue
10-20-2009, 06:33 PM
perfect. thanks guys. it looks like it can be done! by the way, are there any other straps holding cover to boat other than the two on the transom as seen in the photos?

C36
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
perfect. thanks guys. it looks like it can be done! by the way, are there any other straps holding cover to boat other than the two on the transom as seen in the photos?

The way my cover is held on the boat is tension in the strap - which pulls downward on the mooring cover below the rubrail. The two straps shown in the picture below I use to hold the cover in place while I do up and tension the rachet. Some other tips that might be of use:
make sure the rachet you use can be operated in both directions (add tension and release tension)
I have a Fast-X clip attached to the fixed end of the rachet (to make releasing the strap possible (if required).

TMCNo1
10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Since i have two strap covers, any thought about the possibility of coverting this style? thought was to run nylon webbing around through slot and attach rachet on back. my main concern is making sure it doesn't ride up on the back corners. those new covers look awesome but don't come cheap

LaRue, another trick is to install S hooks on your straps and you'll never have to thread the straps through the trailer eyes again. Close up the end of the S hook on the strap in a vise so they won't come off the straps and I coated them with Plasti-Coat so they won't scratch anything when taking the cover off and putting it on.

east tx skier
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Basically, just put a turn buckle on your cinch line to you can get it extra tight. The cover I have has velcro hooks that are about an inch + wide and attach to high tension velcro sewn into the cover. There are four on each side aft of the windshield. There are also similar hooks (four across the back) that have webbing run through rings to tighten them. All of these hooks latch underneath the rubrail. There's also a bit of webbing to center the cover on the grab rail above the platform. It helps that the cover is made for this type of installation. At the very least, the turnbuckle will keep your factory cover pretty tight under the rubrail. But the fit needs to be really precise to (1) tow with it (I don't even tow with this one unless its a really short trip or it's dumping rain and (2) not use tent poles during storage.

You asked for pictures. So here it goes.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1gl9obJSimU/St_WPM0JWkI/AAAAAAAACfQ/BZ81INwsrDw/Cover%201.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_1gl9obJSimU/St_WPJ6HR6I/AAAAAAAACfU/WRuHzS5vJfM/Cover2.JPG

SkiDog
10-22-2009, 08:11 AM
LaRue, another trick is to install S hooks on your straps and you'll never have to thread the straps through the trailer eyes again. Close up the end of the S hook on the strap in a vise so they won't come off the straps and I coated them with Plasti-Coat so they won't scratch anything when taking the cover off and putting it on.

You're gettin lazy in your OLD age!:D

dowling
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Someone wouldn't happen to have a source or part number for one of these? It would be for a 2001 205v Prostar w/ factory tower.

thanks!

east tx skier
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Are you talking about the cover or the turnbuckle part with the webbing?

DJ 50
10-20-2011, 06:14 AM

If you are talking about the newer factory cover then there are only the two straps on the back. However accoriding to the instructions those are really just to help you get the cover set in place. Once its strapped down you are supposed to release them so there is only minor tension on those straps. When you are trailering there are two straps on the side that connect to the trailer.

swatguy
10-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Dowling are you looking for a cover or a strap number? I have a cover with a similar cinch system that I order 2 seasons ago that covers the swim platform for my 2000 Xstar. While the towers are different I can give you the mfg and part number to cross reference. I like the swim platform covered. Just me. Takes the abuse off the transom gel while on my lift.

dowling
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Dowling are you looking for a cover or a strap number? I have a cover with a similar cinch system that I order 2 seasons ago that covers the swim platform for my 2000 Xstar. While the towers are different I can give you the mfg and part number to cross reference. I like the swim platform covered. Just me. Takes the abuse off the transom gel while on my lift.

That may help. I would like the one that hugs the rub rail. Not so concerned about covering the swim platform, If it did I would like it to be a removable piece.

I got a solid quote from Apex Canvas products they are in TN close to me. It was for a 03-04 205V-X w/tower mooring cover black (485141SB). That is the only production ratcheting cover they make. Its 250.00 extra to just have them make a custom cover. The price on the 03/04 was very good, so I would like to go that route.

Does anyone know if a cover from a '03-'04 205V-X w/tower will fit my '01 205V w/tower????

swatguy
10-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Have u tried iboats.com. they sell the custom cut covers for Mc's with towers in 3 different materials.

Here's the link to help ya
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/MasterCraft/X-Star_(2001)/?cart_id=842806731

Sharkskin is the material used in Factory MC Covers these days, however the Sunbrella is little more tear resistant and breathable than the Sharskin, but the Sharkskin I was told from the MFG has a little more water repellancy to it. Westland is the Factory cover for Ski Centurion, Supreme, and Sanger as well as a couple others I can't recall at the moment. These companies also use Sharkskin as their standard material.