PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing a 454

SRussell
10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have experience with the 454? Been hovering around freezing the last few nights and I think it is about time to get this done. Planned on having it winterized, shrink wrapped and stored by the local dealer but got laid-off so can't fork out the $$. No better time than the present to learn how myself, right? Anyway, the owner's manual shows the 351 but no 454. Any ideas regarding this would be huge. By the way, this is my first winter as an MC owner.
Thanks in advance!!!
Russ

Skipper
11-13-2009, 06:08 PM
No experience with the 454 specifically.

However, in general, you won't go wrong if you warm up the engine, change the oil and filter, drain the block, water pump and other water lines, pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil into each cylinder, crank the engine a few times and replace the plugs.

You can use your regular boat cover. If you are storing outside, be sure to tape over the exhaust ports to keep critters out.

Good luck to you.

Shane21
11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
If you do a search for winterizing, there are a ton of threads that can help. It's really not that complicated...time consuming, but not complicated.

Covi
11-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have experience with the 454? Been hovering around freezing the last few nights and I think it is about time to get this done. Planned on having it winterized, shrink wrapped and stored by the local dealer but got laid-off so can't fork out the $$. No better time than the present to learn how myself, right? Anyway, the owner's manual shows the 351 but no 454. Any ideas regarding this would be huge. By the way, this is my first winter as an MC owner.
Thanks in advance!!!
Russ

Let's see some pics of the beast!!!!

454Prostar190
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
No experience with the 454 specifically.

However, in general, you won't go wrong if you warm up the engine, change the oil and filter, drain the block, water pump and other water lines, pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil into each cylinder, crank the engine a few times and replace the plugs.

You can use your regular boat cover. If you are storing outside, be sure to tape over the exhaust ports to keep critters out.

Good luck to you.

I also have a 454 and this pretty well covers it. Fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank is the only thing that I would add.

SRussell
11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone! I hope I can handle it. Probably going to tow it back to the house this weekend see what I can do. Hey, worst case scenario I monkey something up and help the economy by paying the local MC tech to fix it.....
Here is a pic

Shane21
11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Sweet looking ride!!!

SRussell
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
thank you! she is old and well worn but she is my first MC. scratches to repair, oxidation to remove, skins to replace (the list goes on) but we are proud of her. by next summer i hope to have her looking brand new again!

Shane21
11-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I had the same thing. Mine was a '91 that so far I have re-painted and re-teaked the swim platform. Phase II is upholstery and carpet. Fun project, but even more fun when she's on the water.