PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter above gas tank

uncleboo
10-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Does anyone have a trick to change the fuel filter above the gas tank on my 98 PS 190? When I unscrew the access hatch, I can get to the first 13/16 nut, but the back one is a head scratcher. Is there an easy way to get that thing out? Any insight would be appreciated.

captain planet
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I discovered a filter on there last year for the first time. I had the back "tray" or "trunk" out when I was putting my seats back in the boat and discovered it. Take the access hatch screws out (6 or 8 of them) and the 4 or 6 screws that hold in the tray at the corners and lift the tray out. You will have complete access to the filter.

When you lift out the tray, MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT THE TWO SIDES!! I lifted in the middle and made a nice spider crack across the middle of the tray when it flexed.:( (So stupid, if I could only just take back that moment of brain loss)

uncleboo
10-20-2009, 12:31 AM
10-4. I looked at it tonight after I got home from work and it seemed very logical to just remove all those screws and pull that thing out to access the 2nd fuel filter. Thank you for the technical heads up.

ProStar Slalom
10-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Please let me know if you can find a filter match for it. On my 19Skier I was unable to cross reference the number on it to anything, so I just left it in place and changed the one near the engine.

uncleboo
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Here is what I pulled from Ski Dim's website:

EFI FILTER IN LINE INDMAR
FUEL LINE THREADS INTO EACH END
Early Mastercraft TBI, LT1 and some Monsoon engines, located after the fuel pump
Indmar Pt # 556003.

It is $10.95 on www.skidim.com.

JLeuck64
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
That filter doesn't fit very well... At least I didn't think so when I got mine. The O-rings just are not quite right.

If you google the Delco number off the original filter (starts with a PF) you will find out that filter was originally used as a Power steering system filter on some 93 Cadilac. If you can cross reference the PF number over to a ten digit number any chevy dealership can get you an EXACT replacement. I have that ten digit number written down at home someplace...

captain planet
10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
That filter doesn't fit very well... At least I didn't think so when I got mine. The O-rings just are not quite right.

If you google the Delco number off the original filter (starts with a PF) you will find out that filter was originally used as a Power steering system filter on some 93 Cadilac. If you can cross reference the PF number over to a ten digit number any chevy dealership can get you an EXACT replacement. I have that ten digit number written down at home someplace...

Your right. I went to my dealer to get that fuel filter and the one they gave me, the number was totally different, but the filter looked the same. They told me it would work fine and it was the replacement. That was at the beginning of last season and it has been fine so far.

trickskier
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I discovered a filter on there last year for the first time.

Ever read the "Owners Manual" CP??? 52605

captain planet
10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Ever read the "Owners Manual" CP??? 52605

Tricky, your just jealous I have a cooler boat than you. At one time you had a boat as cool as mine, but now you don't. Did you change that fuel filter located above the gas tank in your 190? :rolleyes:

trickskier
10-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Tricky, your just jealous I have a cooler boat than you. At one time you had a boat as cool as mine, but now you don't. Did you change that fuel filter located above the gas tank in your 190? :rolleyes:

Yes, every year as part of my tune-up................Pain in the butt!!!

captain planet
10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Yes, every year as part of my tune-up................Pain in the butt!!!

I think I read it the first or second year I had the boat. I reference it every year to confirm my oil weight, but that is about it. Probably ought to thumb through it over the winter. :o

trickskier
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
You can use the same filter for both applications............The one behind the engine and the one above the fuel tank.

ProStar Slalom
10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
You can use the same filter for both applications............The one behind the engine and the one above the fuel tank.

Ok, good to know. The original filters had two different part numbers, so I was worried about trying this. I'll give it a shot next season; thanks.

captain planet
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, good to know. The original filters had two different part numbers, so I was worried about trying this. I'll give it a shot next season; thanks.

I bought two filters after I found that one on the tank from my dealer and they both had the same number, they were the same filter.

uncleboo
10-29-2009, 03:26 AM
So I got around to taking off the rear tray to get to the second fuel filter. The filter was a pain in the rear to take off. I am having some issues getting new one on. The threads for the two nuts are opposite--you tighten one side up and it loosens the other nut. I don't have enough clearance for the elbow and slack in the fuel line to "spin it" tight. What is the trick to get both sides tight? I didn't have this issue on the filter behind the engine. I have attached a picture to show what I am talking about. In the pic, the left side is tight, but the right side is only on by just a few threads.

captain planet
10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Doesn't the nut on the line spin free? It was last year when I replaced mine so I can't recall how it went on. The only thing I can remember for sure it wasn't hard. I think I tightened the filter on the tank fitting first, then tightened the line onto the filter.

Hope this helps.

JLeuck64
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Yea, looks like there is an adapter on the main fuel line... I would say to tighten the filter first. Take that adapter off the main fuel line and tighten it to the filter. Then tighten the fuel line to the adapter.
J

uncleboo
10-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I got it off. The problem I had was the farthest nut on the left (5/8) was completely stuck to the 3/4 nut and didn't allow me to get that filter on and off very easily. I soaked it overnight with some wd-40 and that took care of it. My guess is that filter has not been changed in quite a while--probably never.

johny123
10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
i've changed the in tank filter on my 2000 ps195 310hp tbi, but didn't see another filter above the tank.

does anyone know if i would have a second filter somewhere?

ProStar Slalom
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
i've changed the in tank filter on my 2000 ps195 310hp tbi, but didn't see another filter above the tank.

does anyone know if i would have a second filter somewhere?

I can't confirm, but I'm assuming you do. My '01 19Skier has one, so your 195 probably does. But this was right around the time they were transitioning to the in-tank filter. I've got a small access panel under the transom pad to get to it.