PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bath Hubs

meg
10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I posted a few weeks ago that I had a leak in one of my caps and when I called Reliant they mailed me 4 new aluminum caps FREE. Changed all 4 out and the one that was leaking looked fine until I towed it for a few miles (stirring it up) and it appeared a little milky so I figured I did not drain it adequately. Re-did the one cap Friday in which I drained for 30 minutes, used an air compressor to blow ALL oil out and even sprayed WD-40. It looked great then I towed it for about 8-10 miles and I wont say it looked milky but not crystal clear like the other ones. My question is could this be WD-40 or could it be more water in there and if it's water where in the world could it be(trailer was not in water)?? I will say that after it sat for a few minutes it started to clear up. Also, I assume after draining twice and refilling that there is enough oil to not be concerned because I will be towing about 100 miles in the next month???

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

KnoxX2
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I would say keep draining it untill it clear. Could be just traped water in there!

vogelm1
10-19-2009, 02:11 PM
This may or may not be the case with your trailer, but one side on mine always appears to be milky (even after an oil change). When looked at up close it's actually from the oil being 'aerated' with little tiny bubbles. After the trailer sits for 5 or 10 minutes the oil is clear just like the other side. Why one side does this and not the other is beyond me...I've had both sides apart and everything is identical, including the way the cotter pin is bent around the nut.

meg
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Thats funny Vogelm that crossed my mind because that is exactly what it looks like!!!! I found it hard to be water beacuse I pulled the bearing out and everything and blew it with a compressor. My buddy that was there said oil being aerated

vogelm1
10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, mine has done that from day one and never had any bearing issues on that side. What I did notice though is while on long tows down state, we'll stop for gas after 150 miles or so and the bubbles are gone and both sides look the same :confused: Sounds like you have the same thing going on and wouldn't worry about it.