PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about NOT winterizing - need opinions

MCVOLS
10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I have a new X-14 which I keep in a heated garage. With my old boat ('93 PS205), I would always winterize (change fluids, drain block, manifolds, etc - no antifreeze) and not worry about it until spring. The old boat was quite simple to do, and had no issues with it. With the new one, I am not familiar with the MCX, ballasts, etc. and don't want to screw it up, but also don't want to pay big $$ for dealer to do it either.

What are your opinions on NOT winterizing? The garage stays pretty warm (outside temp this morning was 35 and garage was 65), Lows over the winter won't get below 20-25 for more than a few nights, and the garage will stay at least 30 degrees warmer, if not more.

If I went this direction, I would likey pull it out and run it every month or so. Anything else I should do?

Also, I have about 8 hours of use since the oil/trans fluids were changed. Good for the winter, or change again?

Thanks for the help.

bigmac
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I would never bet my engine block, heater, or ballast on the reliability of my local power company.

Jerseydave
10-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a friend in PA that keeps his boat in his heated garage, mostly so he can hit the lake late December and also in early spring when the ice melts.

Heated garage should work fine for you, unless you go on vacation and can't keep an eye on your garage temp. You should still use some STA-BIL in the gas and fog the engine thru the spark plug holes. Put a tender on the battery to keep it fully charged.

If you only have 8 hours on your oil change you should be ok.

JimN
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I have a new X-14 which I keep in a heated garage. With my old boat ('93 PS205), I would always winterize (change fluids, drain block, manifolds, etc - no antifreeze) and not worry about it until spring. The old boat was quite simple to do, and had no issues with it. With the new one, I am not familiar with the MCX, ballasts, etc. and don't want to screw it up, but also don't want to pay big $$ for dealer to do it either.

What are your opinions on NOT winterizing? The garage stays pretty warm (outside temp this morning was 35 and garage was 65), Lows over the winter won't get below 20-25 for more than a few nights, and the garage will stay at least 30 degrees warmer, if not more.

If I went this direction, I would likey pull it out and run it every month or so. Anything else I should do?

Also, I have about 8 hours of use since the oil/trans fluids were changed. Good for the winter, or change again?

Thanks for the help.

You don't need to use anti-freeze but for the amount of time required to drain everything, it makes no sense to not do it. You winterized your old one but don't want to do it to the one that's last year's model and cost at least double the price of the '94?

G-man
10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Be sure and stabilize your gas if nothing else. The quality of gas these days stinks.

KnoxX2
10-19-2009, 11:42 AM
No need. I lived in knoxville and did the same thing with my 06 X2. Never had a problem!!!!

Shane21
10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I live in south louisiana and there's really no need for me to winterize either. I do it however, b/c it's a good time for maintenance, draining, flushing, etc....

Also, BigMac makes a good point, "I would never bet my engine block, heater, or ballast on the reliability of my local power company."

Jesus_Freak
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I would never bet my engine block, heater, or ballast on the reliability of my local power company.

What would you bet on your local power company?:D

Skipper
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
What would you bet on your local power company?:D

Bet they promptly send a bill each month. :D

east tx skier
10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
There is not going to be a whole lot of difference between your old Indmar Ford and the MCX as far as winterizing and basic maintenance. Bet that 93 was plenty reliable? That's probably due in no small part that you took the time to do the routine maintenance. The chance that it freezes aside, the basic maintenance will result in a reliability.

Stabilize the gas, change the oil and transmission fluid, fog it, drain it, disconnect the battery, and wipe it down, and protect that investment to enjoy for years to come.

MCVOLS
10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided to take it to the dealer this year and try to 'look over their shoulder' as much as possible, just to be sure I know what I am doing for the future. I feel like I would/can do as good a job if not better (as I would care more), but on the other hand, with so much invested, I don't want any excuses if something were to go wrong.

East tx, the '93 was(is) very reliable, and still in great shape, IMHO, and I hated to see it go. I hope I can get as much use and reliability out of my new one as I did with the old.

Hollywood
10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
If you can use the boat within 3 months, I'd just drain the water from the engine, that's it. Old gas is a concern but I'm not sure Sta-bil is the cure. Startron, Seafoam?

CantRepeat
10-22-2009, 07:08 AM
I use Seafoam.

I live in Alabama and only used to drain the block and manifolds (outside covered boatport). It push a freeze plug out on me one year and I didn't notice it. I ended up burning up a muffler and exhaust tubing that year.

Now, I always add Seafoam then put a fake a lake on it run it up to temp then change the oil, add anti freeze and drain the block and manifolds.

If I had a heated inclosed storage I would probably just change the oil, add Seafoam and fog it.

I've got an Ultima Blue Top so no matter what happens to the battery I just put a 2v charge on it over night and it's fine.