PDA

View Full Version : Finally tried a Monza...

ski36short
06-09-2005, 12:49 AM
... for about 5 minutes. For all the talk about how different it is from past HOs, it felt exactly like the rest of them ever have. Squirrelly outside the wakes and tough to turn, but fast behind the boat. It obviously works for lots of people, just not me. At least with the Sixam I could tell it had potential so I stuck with it a while longer. So the great ski test of 2005 is over before it ever even got started. If I don't like the incoming 9600, I'm sticking with the good ol' 9100 even though she's getting pretty tired and beat up. I doubt that will happen though.

Who else has made a switch this year and how's it going?

oxmach
06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm on a new Monza this year. It has taken a few runs to dial it in, but it's working great now. Had to adjust the fin a bit and can the rear binding more. After that, it turns great and like you said, it's fast behind the boat.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Which past HOs have you found to be squirelly outside the wake? I've been riding an 02 CDX for the last year and found it to be far more stable than the Mapple I had before it?

My wife has an 04 Truth. It's probably got more squirrel in it than mine though. Haven't felt the deisire to ride it since she got it last year. Maybe next week. Probably not.

ski_king
06-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I got a Mapple, but am figthing some binding issues. When I get the new bindings next week, hopefully I will get a good feel for it.

Also got the kids a Syncro. I can see it is working much better for my daughter than the old World Team. I tried it and can't find a thing to complain about.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Remind me what the binding issues were?

ski_king
06-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Remind me what the binding issues were?
Size M binding was too big. Size M toe plate is too small.

I must have wierd size feet.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Are you using the O'Brien contacts?

ski36short
06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Which past HOs have you found to be squirelly outside the wake?

Every one I've ever tried - a CDX like yours, a Phantom (as I recall) and now this one. It's just a style thing where I like the KD/Goode type of carving turn whereas I can only get HOs to pivot; just before and after that happens the thing is pretty unstable. That could be a sign of a deficiency in my skiing as much as anything else but they just plain don't work for me!

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
From your handle, sounds like it's something that I'm not noticing coming from a completely different level of skiing than where you are.

HOs tend to be a little tail heavy (something I have noticed), which might explain a more pivoting turn. I was told it would be very difficult to go from skiing O'Brien (for years) to HO. But I took to it without looking back (fortunately for me). If I ever get to the shortline, it'll probably all make more sense to me.

Longline, like ignorance, is bliss. :D

ski_king
06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Are you using the O'Brien contacts?
Obrien Bio's

ski36short
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
From your handle, sounds like it's something that I'm not noticing coming from a completely different level of skiing than where you are.:D

Well it's a bit aspirational as I usually don't ski "shortline" well into the summer. I've gone deeper than I should have at 34 this year whereas I probably should have worked on the boat speed earlier. Soon I'll have 28/36 licked (again, I have to re-learn every year it seems) and then it's time to really have fun! Demo'ing skis this year has made me realize that my ski has gotten pretty soft. The new/stiff ones have much better angle out of the wakes. There's my excuse if you haven't picked up on it!

I think you're right about HOs. The Monza seemed to have alot of ski high out of the water and definitely liked the weight back. My friend is an HO guy, he'll have one soon I'll bet.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Goode luck with your new ski!

ski36short
06-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah nice reading on Nicholls about 9600s delaminating after dropping the cash! They're supposed to be past that by now!!!

crdickey
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
Sking on an HO CDX or Phantom is nothing like the Monza. Monza is more like a Goode or a SixAM than any other ski HO has ever made. The problems you posted sounds like something was wrong with the ski setup. My 67 Monza is rock solid on both sides, is incredibaly fast across the wake and both turns are very symeterical. If you look at the attached photo you'll see a tremendous amount of the tip of the ski in the water. The picture is Chris Rossi a former Goode factory rider.

Try the Monza again and make sure to use the setup specification listed on the HO Syndicate site. http://www.hosyndicate.com/

Well it's a bit aspirational as I usually don't ski "shortline" well into the summer. I've gone deeper than I should have at 34 this year whereas I probably should have worked on the boat speed earlier. Soon I'll have 28/36 licked (again, I have to re-learn every year it seems) and then it's time to really have fun! Demo'ing skis this year has made me realize that my ski has gotten pretty soft. The new/stiff ones have much better angle out of the wakes. There's my excuse if you haven't picked up on it!

I think you're right about HOs. The Monza seemed to have alot of ski high out of the water and definitely liked the weight back. My friend is an HO guy, he'll have one soon I'll bet.

MYMC
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
I am with CR on this one...I came from a 70" D3 to the Monza...I got back into 32s sooner than ever before. I recently swapped my 68" Monza for the 70 (69.5). I noticed that when the water temp went above the low 70s getting wide of one ball became much harder. I swapped to the 70 and am back where I want to be on course width. I used Ferraro's numbers on the 70:
Bindings at 30
9 degrees upside down

I never would have believed the water temp stuff but...i stand corrected. Starting back on 35s tonight :cool:

ski36short
06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
CR - that is the general concensus on ski style and that's why I tried it. I had it set at Rossi's numbers - I wanted to try with a little more tip on the fin but didn't have time. It was getting mighty dark. Definitely not opposed to another try this weekend - the 9600 won't be here for a while so I've got time.

Thanks for the link. I had only been to skitek.net.