PDA

View Full Version : Trans in Neutral, prop shaft turns... EEK!

TEAL98
10-18-2009, 11:55 PM
So I pulled my boat from the backyard to the side to hook the hose up, warm up the engine, and start my winterization process. My buddy had stopped by to help, so I hooked up the hose and started the motor... I pulled out the pin by the throttle lever and put it down just enough to let the motor run at 1k RPMs. I heard this noise that sounded like 2 peices of rubber, rubbing against one another but only for a split second and shrugged it off... another 5-10 seconds, it came back again for a second :huh: My buddy looked up at me and said "Prop's turnin man"... I jump back to the controls and shut the motor off to turn it right back on... same thing... ***??

At this point, I said screw it, my buddy and I proceeded to remove the leg mounts for the wakeboard tower, so we could take the boat over to his garage, where she now rests for the rest of the winter. It is an insulated garage that's attached to his house that he doesn't use or ever open the door, so I figured she'd be ok until I can dig into it a little deeper next weekend and drain the water and replace the impeller. Any idea what this could possibly be though? I was in a rush and didn't even bother to see if maybe that pin is operated by a cable that may have come loose or what? Anyways, if anyone has had this problem or know anyone that has, I'd like to hear from ya... thanks in advance.

~Jon

TOO-TALL
10-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't worry about it.
Mine sometimes does the same thing when I start on the fake a lake in the yard.
I think the oil in the tranny is cold and the prop turns alittle.
Sometimes I will take a second garden hose and spray the prop shaft and strut.Till the oil warms up and the prop stops turning.
I bet the prop is turning alittle when you start the motor on the ramp,but since the prop/ strut is under water you never hear it.

TEAL98
10-19-2009, 12:17 AM
ok, I was just worried about it doing damage since it wasn't sitting in the water? Stupid perhaps, but I freaked out, and shut it down, lol. I'll see what it does next weekend, but that makes me feel a little better

TMCNo1
10-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Ours will turn some on the trailer till the transmission gets warmed up, but in the watrer it will not do it, so I just wedge a long flat head screwdriver between the coupling bolts and let the handle lay against the stringer to keep it from turning, been doing it for 20+ years.

88 PS190
10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Just squirt some water at the bushing and ignore it.

Simplified the transmission has some plates that are pushed together with hydraulic pressure from a pump in the trans, those plates are able to drag a bit against each other when the pressure is not on them, such as in neutral. And that can cause some turning.

This is the case on many transmissions, put a motorcycle rear tire in the air and drag between gear components in the case is enough to have the rear wheel turn.

As TMCNo1 mentioned temperature is involved, cold transmission fluid is thicker, and transfers more of the drag, once you get up to temperature and the fluid thins out those plates slip past each other more easily.

That bushing should be fine anyway, but it is water lubricated in use, so hose it, and you are good to go.

TEAL98
10-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Man, I'm learning something new about my boat everyday, I do thank you guys a bunch... another question asked, another couple of things learned, I love this site! Thanks again