PDA

View Full Version : Metal Part really a Plastic part with metal 'stuck' on?

johkur
10-18-2009, 08:40 PM
I noticed my 2008 X45 didn't look right recently. Instead of a port-side light that was made of metal, it now was black plastic! The metal 'covering' is entirely gone.

There is not a single nick or anything to indicate what happened. There doesn't appear to be any ripping at the plastic lip where it meets the boat. There doesn't appear to be any glue that gave up, its almost like it was just stuck on with just a wish.

I'm told that its not under warranty, and that the metal piece is not available on its own, that the whole part must be replaced.

This doesn't make any sense. Obviously the metal part is not integrated to the plastic, so I have no idea why they can't just supply me with the metal part to glue on. And obviously its defective, even if it happened 15 months after I got the boat instead of the required 12 months. The boat hardware like these Red/Green lights are supposedly metal, not plastic with metal that can just fall off without any signs of damage to the plastic item.

Any ideas?

Miss Rita
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I had a 1993 Suburban with a chrome plated plastic grill. (No, I don't understand how they can plate plastic, but they can) All the plating bubbled and peeled off. The grill was replaced under warranty, then the new one peeled too. If you look at older GM trucks of this vintage you'll find that a LOT of them have peeling chrome on their grills.

I'm thinking that your plastic piece was either plated, or had a piece of stainless bonded to it. At any rate, it's gone.

It sucks that they won't honor the warranty. The good news is that you can upgrade to LED lights that will never burn out.

H20skeefreek
10-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Take the fixture to West Marine and see if they can special order the cover only from one of the 3 vendors that manufacture nav lights.

JohnE
10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I lost the same metal "cover" on my bow light this summer. Mine has some indications that it was glued on though. I need to contact my dealer to see what he can do. It's still under 12 months for me.....

johkur
10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
This boat already has the 'nice' LED lights. But its really a black plastic fixture with a piece of chrome 'stuck' on. Removing the whole fixture does not seem trivial, and the Mastercraft dealer told me that MC said they can't get a spare piece, they want the whole item removed and that I purchase a new one. Very disappointing. and this in a boat that has leaked antifreeze since the day it was received, and before the boat has even got all its original problems fixed, other problems are now already 'out of warranty'. Very disappointing.

Jim@BAWS
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
And obviously its defective, even if it happened 15 months after I got the boat instead of the required 12 months. The boat hardware like these Red/Green lights are supposedly metal, not plastic with metal that can just fall off without any signs of damage to the plastic item.

Any ideas?

John

I can understand your frustration. But from other side of the table. How long should MC go beyond the stated warranty? Did you bump the light on something and not know it? To knock the cover off?

Jim@BAWS

johkur
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
John

I can understand your frustration. But from other side of the table. How long should MC go beyond the stated warranty? Did you bump the light on something and not know it? To knock the cover off?

Jim@BAWS

1) I think that a metal component should be metal, not plastic with metal stuck on, that's a bit deceptive. So for something like that, I don't see it as a warranty issue at all. If you buy something that says 24K gold, that doesn't mean only the outer layer is gold but its copper underneath. That's not a warranty issue, thats an issue with not getting what was expected.
2) When I received my boat, I also noticed that many other components that were brass in the pictures (I bought a Saltwater Series) were some sort of plastic instead. But in those cases, it was readily apparent that they swapped what they advertised, and I accepted the boat with those plastic components because I didn't want to rip my boat apart anymore than I already had to for the changes needed to the exhaust system such as the missing stainless exhaust tips, etc, that I won't go into here.
3) There is absolutely no damage to the plastic light or area around the light. So the metal was not held on well enough. If it was a metal component as expected, it wouldn't have been damaged or fallen off, the problem is purely because they tried to make something plastic look like metal.
4) In my particular case, I think I deserve at least some period of time that I have a fully working boat. Its been about 15 months since I took delivery and I still have a boat that needs a quart of antifreeze added every few hours of operation. They think they finally have an idea where the leak is, but it means that even when they finally fix that problem, after two seasons, that I still never had a day that I could ever go out and say the boat was perfect like new. By the time we might finally get the engine fixed, its got one season left on the 3-year engine warranty, a black plastic light where a metal one should be, and also a split seam on a seat that also didn't get noticed until 14 months from delivery. We have a short season here, I really hoped to one day go out on my boat and have the feeling that all was good with the boat, and it looks like I'll never get that day. That's the day that I think a warranty period really starts, when the boat is finally is 100% of what it should be.

Jim@BAWS
10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
1) I think that a metal component should be metal, not plastic with metal stuck on, that's a bit deceptive. So for something like that, I don't see it as a warranty issue at all. If you buy something that says 24K gold, that doesn't mean only the outer layer is gold but its copper underneath. That's not a warranty issue, thats an issue with not getting what was expected.
2) When I received my boat, I also noticed that many other components that were brass in the pictures (I bought a Saltwater Series) were some sort of plastic instead. But in those cases, it was readily apparent that they swapped what they advertised, and I accepted the boat with those plastic components because I didn't want to rip my boat apart anymore than I already had to for the changes needed to the exhaust system such as the missing stainless exhaust tips, etc, that I won't go into here.
3) There is absolutely no damage to the plastic light or area around the light. So the metal was not held on well enough. If it was a metal component as expected, it wouldn't have been damaged or fallen off, the problem is purely because they tried to make something plastic look like metal.
4) In my particular case, I think I deserve at least some period of time that I have a fully working boat. Its been about 15 months since I took delivery and I still have a boat that needs a quart of antifreeze added every few hours of operation. They think they finally have an idea where the leak is, but it means that even when they finally fix that problem, after two seasons, that I still never had a day that I could ever go out and say the boat was perfect like new. By the time we might finally get the engine fixed, its got one season left on the 3-year engine warranty, a black plastic light where a metal one should be, and also a split seam on a seat that also didn't get noticed until 14 months from delivery. We have a short season here, I really hoped to one day go out on my boat and have the feeling that all was good with the boat, and it looks like I'll never get that day. That's the day that I think a warranty period really starts, when the boat is finally is 100% of what it should be.

All these items should be handled at the dealers level. Sorry to have opened up a can of worms here. As a dealer I would be embarrassed if those items where not taken care of. As a boater and skier myself I want to be on the water. The power of the pen and now the internet is a powerful tool. Get you dealer involved and get it taken care of ASAP. The longer you wait the less chance of resolve

Jim@BAWS