PDA

View Full Version : battery problem?


Miss Rita
10-18-2009, 01:18 AM
I did my winterization today. The engine started just fine. I had it running 1000-1200 rpm for about fifteen minutes to warm the oil, then I fogged the engine, and shut it down.

After draining the block the manual says to then "turn the engine over for 2-3 seconds to remove the last traces of water". The battery didn't have enough juice to do it.

Is it possible that running at relatively low rpm discharged the battery to the point where it wouldn't start anymore? The volt meter reads 11.5 volts.

I'm assuming my battery is toast?

MariStar-Man
10-18-2009, 06:51 AM
If the battery was good when you started, and then after idle the Battery died, then it's either:

A. Alternator that is not Charging while the engine is running and therefore the Engine is Drawing on Battery.

B. Coincidence that your Battery Simplywent Ka-Put
(Technical Term...)Today.

C. Or it could be a Starter Problem. Have you Annually put White Grease on the Bendix?

The question that needs to be asked is what sounds were being made when you tried to start the engine?

Lastly, I beleive that even though you were at low RPM's, the motor is driving the pulley sufficeintly fast enough for it to charge Battery...

bigmac
10-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Battery might be toast, but before pitching it, make sure your battery connections are optimally tight. If they're not, you might not be getting full charge at idle, or your starter might be trying to draw more current than the battery can supply across that resistance, or both.

JimN
10-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I did my winterization today. The engine started just fine. I had it running 1000-1200 rpm for about fifteen minutes to warm the oil, then I fogged the engine, and shut it down.

After draining the block the manual says to then "turn the engine over for 2-3 seconds to remove the last traces of water". The battery didn't have enough juice to do it.

Is it possible that running at relatively low rpm discharged the battery to the point where it wouldn't start anymore? The volt meter reads 11.5 volts.

I'm assuming my battery is toast?

When the motor runs, the alternator runs things and charges the battery. Check the cables at the battery, alternator and the ground on the motor. If that doesn't do it, charge the battery fully- if you don't have a charger, get one or borrow one- jump starting a motor with a totally dead battery puts a huge strain on the alternator. Have the battery load tested.

How were you supplying cooling water to the motor? If you ran it on a hose, you may have overheated it. A hose can't supply enough at 1000-1200RPM. A Fake A Lake can't, either and this is the reason I never recommend running a boat on the trailer without having some kind of reservoir.

Miss Rita
10-18-2009, 09:00 AM
All good advice; thanks. I've since discovered that the battery terminals were slightly loose. I used Fake-a-Lake, but I watched the temp gauge and it was nailed at 160', so I don't think it overheated. The starter bendix is fine. It was engaging but the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over more than about a half turn. I also found that the battery is eight years old (!). I'll charge it, load test it, and probably get a new one next spring anyway.

TMCNo1
10-18-2009, 09:14 AM
All good advice; thanks. I've since discovered that the battery terminals were slightly loose. I used Fake-a-Lake, but I watched the temp gauge and it was nailed at 160', so I don't think it overheated. The starter bendix is fine. It was engaging but the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over more than about a half turn. I also found that the battery is eight years old (!). I'll charge it, load test it, and probably get a new one next spring anyway.


If it's 8 years old, do yourself a favor and go ahead and plan on replacing it, the odds of it lasting any longer are slim and none.

JimN
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
All good advice; thanks. I've since discovered that the battery terminals were slightly loose. I used Fake-a-Lake, but I watched the temp gauge and it was nailed at 160', so I don't think it overheated. The starter bendix is fine. It was engaging but the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over more than about a half turn. I also found that the battery is eight years old (!). I'll charge it, load test it, and probably get a new one next spring anyway.

The gauge won't read an overheat if there's not enough water going in- hot air doesn't couple as well as hot water. With a good impeller, having a 5 gallon container as reserve won't be enough for more than a couple of minutes, either.

94PS190
10-18-2009, 10:39 AM
At idle, my 94 doesn't use as much as water as my hose provides. i.e. bucket gets fuller. However it can empty the bucket with hose going full balst in about 5 seconds once you crack the throtttle a little.

bigmac
10-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I just hook my boat up to the hose (MCX) and it works fine. Keep an eye on the exhaust - if water is coming out then your temp gauge should be accurate.