PDA

View Full Version : Another Winterize question...82 SS PCM 351

mlay
10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
First time I am going to winterize and store the 82 SS outside under cover for the winter.
Wondering what others with these older boats do for winterization. I have pulled all the plugs and drained the engine and all water from the boat. I have read where some will run antifreeze through and others just drain, some plug the holes and keep antifreeze in over the months, etc. Any tips before putting this up for the winter would sure help ease my mind through the cold weather. Cleaned it, removed all seats and upholstery, boat will be completely dry before storing, plugs zip tied in bag to steering wheel for next year. Anyhing that will protect the boat in the winter and help with returning to the water next spring.

Cloaked
10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
First time I am going to winterize and store the 82 SS outside under cover for the winter.
Wondering what others with these older boats do for winterization. I have pulled all the plugs and drained the engine and all water from the boat. I have read where some will run antifreeze through and others just drain, some plug the holes and keep antifreeze in over the months, etc. Any tips before putting this up for the winter would sure help ease my mind through the cold weather. Cleaned it, removed all seats and upholstery, boat will be completely dry before storing, plugs zip tied in bag to steering wheel for next year. Anyhing that will protect the boat in the winter and help with returning to the water next spring.I have used both methods. Either one works and I am just slightly north of you.

I drain my engine if I know I want to do a project on the warmer days and start the engine in the driveway, thus I can remove and replace the drain plugs (no waste of antifreeze) while running the engine off and on during the warmer days.

I use antifreeze if I know I will be too lazy to do any engine or performance tweaks before the next season (March / April). I mix two gallons to a 50 / 50 ratio, remove the hose from the top of the transmission cooler and run it about 800 - 100 RPM and fill with the mix until a tiny bit of green or pink (Auto or RV respectively) comes out the exhaust. Done deal.

I do not run antifreeze then drain. Never had any issues in a lot of years in doing this.

If you have already drained it, it will be fine until spring. Be sure and drain the risers (a plug under each exhaust hose) that can be removed with a 1/2" drive rachet. Wiggle it in there, but be advised that the threads there are easy to booger up (in the spring). When replacing in the spring, use some anti-seize compound on each plug (and on all of the other plugs for that matter), run the engine while reinstalling and tighten ONLY until the water stops leaking around the plug(s). Too tight is not good on these threads. It will hold all summer. I will suggest getting two new plugs (one for each exhaust riser) just because they are cheap and they run in nicely. Skidim has them readily available. Check on an electronic ignition conversion kit while you're ordering, and also order up a new oil filter and a spare impeller. Never hurts to have a spare thermostat and gasket too. All in one shot.

Don't forget a BatteryTender. http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html
Order an extension cable too. It's cheap and very handy to have. Best investment you can make aside from the electronic ignition conversion kit.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
10-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I use antifreeze if I know I will be too lazy to do any engine or performance tweaks before the next season (March / April). I mix two gallons to a 50 / 50 ratio, remove the hose from the top of the transmission cooler and run it about 800 - 100 RPM and fill with the mix until a tiny bit of green or pink (Auto or RV respectively) comes out the exhaust. Done deal.

If you are using the pink RV antifreeze, DO NOT MIX it 50/50! It should only be used full strength. If you are using this method, I'd also suggest that you drain the block first, then replace the drain plugs and run the engine to fill it with the full strength anti freeze. If you don't do the drain first, you will dilute the antifreeze down with the water that remained in the block and heads. Another method involves removing one of the small hoses to the exhaust manifolds and blocking the other. Use a bucket to hold the antifreeze....you still pull it out with the line from the trans cooler but put the small exhaust manifold hose in bucket as a discharge....this creates a loop. You may also want to run a search on winterizing for more complete info...fogging, oil change, impeller removal are all good ideas.