PDA

View Full Version : First Time Out

bfinley
06-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I have a 1992 ProSport 205 that I just took out for the first time this year. I had a couple minor issues and was wondering if you guys have any ideas.

1. The temperture generally stays around 160. Occasionally it will bounce up to 180, and for a moment it was at 205 :eek3: . Seems a little hot, eh?? I have a new impeller so I know that not the issue. Could it be a sticky thermostat?? I don't even know where to go to look at the thermostats, can someone tell me where to look.

2. I just put on a new Acme Prop. The instructions said put it on with a castle nut and a cotter key, but it didn't come with a castle nut and my old one just had a nylock nut. Is a nylock nut enough to keep the propeller on?? Do I still need to use a cotter key??

Thanks

Brandon

east tx skier
06-08-2005, 10:44 PM
It's normal for it to jump up a little bit (like 10--20 degrees) when you shut it down after it's warmed up. This heat soak ought to go away when you start back up. But 205 degrees sounds pretty hot. Have you checked the screen on your transmission cooler? It can get clogged and block the water flow.

I'm using the nylon nut with my acme. I do use the cotter pin, too.

Cloaked
06-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I have a 1992 ProSport 205 that I just took out for the first time this year. I had a couple minor issues and was wondering if you guys have any ideas.

1. The temperture generally stays around 160. Occasionally it will bounce up to 180, and for a moment it was at 205 :eek3: . Seems a little hot, eh?? I have a new impeller so I know that not the issue. Could it be a sticky thermostat?? I don't even know where to go to look at the thermostats, can someone tell me where to look.

2. I just put on a new Acme Prop. The instructions said put it on with a castle nut and a cotter key, but it didn't come with a castle nut and my old one just had a nylock nut. Is a nylock nut enough to keep the propeller on?? Do I still need to use a cotter key??

Thanks

Brandon1) What ETS said.
2) I too use the nylon locknut and a cotter key. Lightly snug the nut and install the key. Done deal. I am thoroughly pleased with the newly installed Acme Prop.

MarkP
06-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Bfin

Iím using the same nut as you and no cotter pin. I have always told myself I will change it to the castle and cotter setup but I donít think I am in any danger of catastrophic or any other kind of failure so???

I would look hard for the source of the high temp. Doug has good advice

BriEOD
06-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Bfin

Iím using the same nut as you and no cotter pin.

Dude, why aren't you using a cotter pin? Your gonna lose your prop!

MarkP
06-09-2005, 07:43 AM
Thatís just how it came. Lock nut and no cotter pin?? It doesnít move at all.

bfinley
06-09-2005, 08:26 AM
I know the transmission cooler isn't blocked. I took that off at the end of last year and checked that.

Jorski
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
MarkP,

Either a castle nut w/ cotterpin, or a nyloc nut is going to do the job just fine. The only concern with the Nyloc nut is that they lose some of their holding power each time you remove them.

Since you bought the boat last year, I am guessing that the nut in question was on the boat when you purchased it ??? If it is, then you would have no way of knowing how many times it has been spun on and off....get a new one.

There is a discussion on the Nichols site about the nyloc nut versus the castle nut w/cotter pin set-up....

http://eclipse.nicholls.edu/cgi-bin/BBS/webbbs_config.pl?frames;page=1

MarkP
06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks Jorski

Thatís about my thoughts on it too. Thanks for the link too. Every time I go over to that site it costs me an hour, at least..

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I know the transmission cooler isn't blocked. I took that off at the end of last year and checked that.

Have you run it much since you last checked? Are you using a sea strainer?

Granite_33
06-09-2005, 09:58 AM
The below is a picture of my 90 Indmar Ford. Not sure if you have the same engine............if not, then disregard.
The t-Stat housing is the triangular shaped housing at the top of the engine, in front of the yellow warning label. Its got the 4 hoses all connecting to it. That is where the T-stat resides.
Your boat is a '92, and it may or may not have had a new T'stat put in it. For the price to do it, it seems like a good place to start. :twocents:

Leroy
06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
All good input, with intermittent symptoms, I'm guessing thermostat.

bfinley
06-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Granite,

I have the exact same setup and that's exactly what I needed to see.

Thanks!!

Granite_33
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Granite,

I have the exact same setup and that's exactly what I needed to see.

Thanks!!
Good Deal!! Hope it helps........ :toast:

Nice to have 1 good post out of 163....... :D