PDA

View Full Version : Stargazer + paddle wheel upgrade

brucemac
10-16-2009, 06:44 PM
evidently pp has an upgrade out that utilizes both gps and paddle wheel to eliminate the downside of pulling in currents. anxious to hear more.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/741637.html?1255729260

sethro
10-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, there goes my excuse for not upgrading to Stargazer. Thanks, I think. :)

Witness140
10-16-2009, 10:07 PM
The original version of SG had paddlewheel input. The speed readout received it's input in the first version from the PW, and trick mode was still PW based. Of the two 197's that I was skiing behind that season that had the initial version of SG with this PW input, one would frequently show 0 as the speed readout, despite the MC speedometer still indicating. (that told us the PW itself was ok) The other install also had some PW speed readout errors. Ultimately we upgraded to the newer version - which was 100% GPS based for the slalom speed readout and the trick mode. Saved us a lot of time troubleshooting the paddlewheels. Although afterwards I ran both boats on 6.5ng for brief periods and the PW inputs functioned fine. I think it was an issue with the PP boxes, not the boat's PW or wiring.

Anyways, the pure GPS version stunk for my needs - skiing on a river with an intermittent current. Great for reducing my magnet count in the course (which we never skied in a current) but really bad for tricking or anything based on 'speed over the water.'

I ended up putting the 6.5ng master module back in the boat - velcro'ed to the SG master module. When we skied the course, I would plug the unit into the SG. When it was time to trick, board, etc - I'd switch the harness and plug it into 6.5ng.

It's nice if they have this version the Sanger guy is talking about.

sethro
10-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I would be happy with a menu fucntion to turn GPS input off during trick mode, but this new software integrating the paddle wheel/GPS inputs sounds promising.