PDA

View Full Version : Trailer repair ideas

helton333
10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I have an 89 prostar with factory trailer. The natural rubber guides on the bottom are old and put these rub marks on the boat that require tons of elbow grease to remove. I need to recover them in bunk (carpeted) materials, BUT, they bolt on and the heads are encapsulated in the rubber. The nuts are so rusty, they will definately break when removing. If anybody has any ideas on what to do, I would love to hear them.

I thought about drilling out the rubber enough to allow a new bolt to be inserted - the obvious problem with that is it needs to be embedded within the rubber I think to keep from maring the boat. But if you do that, how does it grip to hold the rubber down?

I hate the trailers from those years!!!

Ski-me
10-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Assuming you remove the boat before the bunk removal.....I took a large screwdriver and wedged thebunker upward to apply pressure to the bolt head. I then used my socket to take the nut off. If for some reason it still spins with the bunker, you may have to take a grinder to the bolt. All of mine came off with a little work.

I then got new pressure treated wood, indoor/outdoor carpet, stainless steel staples and re-did my bunkers. Turned out nice!

helton333
10-16-2009, 03:40 PM
mine issue is not the bunks, but those rubber "stops" they guide the spine.

Miss Rita
10-16-2009, 09:40 PM
You may have to fabricate mounts to mount a keel roller.

Any pictures?

TMCNo1
10-17-2009, 08:06 AM
OK, are you referring to the crossmember plastic pieces or the ones on the V block?
The croosmember ones are held on with self drilling/self tapping screws and the V block ones are held on with bolts/nuts.
None of the plastic pieces are available any more, so you can cover the crossmember pieces with carpet by glueing them on. The V block can be replaced with marine plywood or treated wood pieces and carpeted after inserting the bolts and securing them before mounting them.