PDA

View Full Version : Wicked Strange Weather Concern

87MCProstar
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey guys,
here in CT it started to snow this afternoon and its gonna get to around 32 degrees tonight. I was just on the boat this past weekend for the final ride of the year, and haven't winterized the engine yet. Should I be nervous of block freezing and cracking?? If I do I need to cut out of work early tomorrow to get it done, its supposed to snow shower again tomorrow. Please help I don't want to run into any issues.:confused:

chico
10-15-2009, 09:38 PM
when I get nervous about freezing weather I put a 60 watt bulb on an extension light in the engine compartment.

JohnE
10-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm in MA. It isn't going to get cold enough to do any damage tonight. I winterized last Sunday FWIW. Even if it gets below 32 for a few hours nothing will freeze. My first concern would be the heater core if applicable. There's been a few threads regarding this lately. Don't sweat it.

ntidsl
10-16-2009, 08:33 AM
If you are worried get off the computer and go drain the block...lol...it only takes a few seconds. I travel out of the country almost every other week so come October I drain it every time I take it out of the water...this week in Kentucky I even put 2 gallons of antifreeze in as Sunday I leave for 8 days. Don't take chances just drain it and sleep better.

bigmac
10-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree, jsut drain the block. You ought to be able to accomplish that in about 10 minutes.

However, IMHO the most vulnerable component is your heater if you have one. That core will likely suffer freeze damage well before any of the block components.

Hollywood
10-16-2009, 11:36 AM
The engine will be fine.