PDA

View Full Version : Back across the wake

90pony
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Started back skiing this year after 13 years off.Spent most of spring and summer getting my legs back.Got back to skiing pretty decent,making hard cuts at 32 mph.But even toward the end of summer most of my problem was coming back across the wake from left to right.I never was the greatest but I dont remember having trouble,the ski wants to come out of the water on the first wake.I was never taught by anyone other than my dad,Ive heard the term "roll your ankles" but I have no trouble from right to left.Any help?

Miss Rita
10-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Are you right foot forward or left foot forward?

90pony
10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Left forward

88 PS190
10-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Are you running your line 15 off or full length?

I'm betting you are standing more on your back foot than you should be. But get some video and that's easier to determine.

90pony
10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
First of all like the 88 prostar 190,thats what I have.Maybe to much on my back foot.I go 15 off.I slowed down alot toward the end and worked more on coming back across,maybe I overthought it.As far as video,I live outside Nashville I dont know how many if anymore times I get to go till spring.

russlars
10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
One of the main things that will keep you from "launching" off of the 1st wake is too keep the ski on edge as you cross the wake. That way you are cutting through the wake and are less likely to hop. When you are riding the ski flat you have more surface area and it will jump out of the water. Hope that helps. By the way, this is much easier said than done and all of us have an "off side".

90pony
10-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks,I assume the ski should be on edge away from the boat? When I slowed down and worked on this I think I got worse.

flipper
10-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks,I assume the ski should be on edge away from the boat? When I slowed down and worked on this I think I got worse.
Keep pulling through the wake. Don't get to the wake and stand up to cross.

88 PS190
10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
There is a drill to practice. The goal being to pull out to the left, take a good powerful position through the wakes and then coast out, you should coast out as wide as you started, then do the same right to left.

The goal is to establish a powerful wake crossing in both direction that allows you to coast out from the wakes under momentum.

90pony
10-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks i will try the drill,I may try to go tommorow.

yippikaiyay
10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah, good suggestions. I've found just repeating that drill, keeping the ski on edge through the wakes, and forgetting all other aspects during the drill really helps when you put it all together in the course, or return to a normal run.

90pony
10-15-2009, 07:12 PM
How do I keep ski on the edge,just by pulling hard and leaning away from the boat?

yippikaiyay
10-15-2009, 07:18 PM
There's a ton of experts on TT so I'm sure they'll pile in here, but for me good positioning with the handle, low and at my hip, while trying to hold as much angle as possible across the wakes, while rolling the ankles forward keeps my ski on edge and the more I drill it, the better positioning I get.....

Chicago190
10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
How do I keep ski on the edge,just by pulling hard and leaning away from the boat?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32911

If figure out how to do that let me know.

Chicago190
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
There's a ton of experts on TT so I'm sure they'll pile in here, but for me good positioning with the handle, low and at my hip, while trying to hold as much angle as possible across the wakes, while rolling the ankles forward keeps my ski on edge and the more I drill it, the better positioning I get.....

Hips to the handle, or getting the handle low are what I was told, and I thought I was doing it. It wasn't until I got pictures and video of my skiing that I realized how much I need to get my hips to the handle and keep the handle low. I think Chris Rossi or Wade Williams once explained it as imagining yourself pushing the handle down your leg.

90pony
10-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Roll ankles forward?Like pressing nose of ski down? I think Ive been trying to roll ankles sidewys away from the boat.

90pony
10-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok I obviously need to see where the handle is.Like I said Ive never had any real lessons just my Dad who was a real good skier.

yippikaiyay
10-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Roll ankles forward?Like pressing nose of ski down? I think Ive been trying to roll ankles sidewys away from the boat.

I've found, especially on my off side, trying to roll forward at the ankles really helps keep more of my ski on the water, as opposed to riding the tail..... you could also check with an expert re: your boot placement on your ski.

Miss Rita
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
You need to work on your pulling position. Since you're left foot forward, go wide to the right side of the wake and stay there. You can work on your position and balance all day, or until your arms give out. You want your knees moderately bent, body straight (don't break at the waist), arms straight and on your hip. Experiment with positioning until it feels good. Once you figure it out, do the same thing as you cross the wake.

90pony
10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I think first thing I need to look at is hand position.My wife says I move my hands before I start to turn But Ive never paid attention,I just ski,Now I want to get better.

88 PS190
10-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Neither...

Lots of good information available.

Your goal is to simply point the ski's tip through the wakes, and keep the handle near your waist and your arms extended.

edge is really a relative term. In that if you look at a side view of a professional slalom skier going through the wakes, the ski is not leaned way over. It simply doesn't need to be.

It needs to be on edge, but you don't need to have your shoulder buried in the water to accomplish that, and doing so just means more effort, and harder falls.

What you want to get into your mind is to try to have the least load on your arms possible. Doing that drill I mentioned earlier is a way towards this, what you want to do is set on edge and just let the direction your ski is facing make you go.

You want to build speed not lean. Its kind of a mind game, it doesn't seem like it will work, but if you point your ski through and focus on just staying in posistion you'll whip out the other side, no ski bounce and be wide outbound. Where as if from the moment you cut towards the wakes you slam your shoulders back and just muscle through your ski is going to bounce up and you'll end up 10 feet narrower.

90pony
10-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Now that makes sense 88 ps190.I am 40 and dont need harder falls.I think now that I have been to far back on the ski.When I do feel good across Im leanded out over the ski and fall forward.

88 PS190
10-15-2009, 08:59 PM
There are alot of comparisons made between skiing, and downhill skiing, ice skating, and particularly using a swing.

I realize at 40 the swinging skills might be iffy (unless it involves keys in a fishbowl or something) anyhow, the concept is that if you are swinging back and forth, you can only pull to the bottom, if you pull past that the swing will pivot and go slack and you slam into the seat. Pull too early (like when you are up and back) and the swing will pivot with out load. But time it properly it doesn't take any force to get swinging back and forth fast.

90pony
10-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats why you slow down after you come across the wake,or you keep pulling ang get slack?

88 PS190
10-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Thats why you slow down after you come across the wake,or you keep pulling ang get slack?

I'd not ever try to slow down, but if you pull after the second wake you tend to end up with slack, you also get slack if you try to turn back towards the wakes suddenly.