PDA

View Full Version : x2 vs x15

wpstevenson
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
What are your opinions, pros and cons, on the current hull x2 vs x15. I have had both, trying to decide which to get. I'll get things started.

Surfing: both are good, I think the x15 is a little better, bigger sweet spot. x15 wins
slalom skiing: x2 with plate is ok for req skiing, x15 is not so much. x2 wins
wakeboarding: both are very good just different, can't decide tie
size: X15 is a bigger boat more room x15 wins
pickle fork room: really like the wide bow area, pickle fork, on the x2 x2 wins
looks: I like the lines of the x15 x15 wins
Price: X2 cost less x2 wins

Looks like a tie, your thoughts, we have a 93 190 to ski behind, so if you throw out that maybe the x15 wins for us.

Witness140
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Standard Garage: X2 wins (barely)

wpstevenson
10-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Good point, but I have a big garage so hey both fit. Has anyone wakeboarded behind both, what do you think?

swatguy
10-16-2009, 02:50 AM
The X-15 if you ask me is one of the best all around boats that excels at many different things. IT rides better, tracks better, wakes better and surfs better than the X-2.

The surf pocket is much bigger, the wakeboard wake has a little different shape than the X2. IT has a longer transition and a little less kick at the peak, but still throws you nice. So the wake is more of a personal preference. The landing zones are much bigger as well. Much more similar shape and pop to the X-Star. I really like the 15 wake. Not that I dislike the X2's, but the shape and feel of the 15 is more of something that I prefer. I even like it better than a decked out X-Star. then again I am not a pro.....just an intermediate rider with 4 inverts, a handful of spins, and working on a batwing.

The X-15 tracks much straighter than the X2 and you don't feel advanced and bigger riders pulling the boat around occasionally like on the X2.

I would argue the bow room is more on the 15. You can stretch out a bit more and it is a longer, however I can see where the X2 would be bigger to the the "bench" part up front there. The X-15 bow also sits a little higher in the water. We had the X2 filled with 8 adults and 1 rider. The bow with thepickle fork design was very very low. We took a roller or 2 over. It was a busy day though on the river. However the 15 with 10 adults wasn't even close up there. Its purely due to the pickle fork. They have to turn the bow down a very little so you can see over it as a driver.

If you tow you can definitely feel the 15 back there.

If I could do a 15 I would in a heartbeat. IF you ask me it's the sleeper in their line. With all that said and my love for the 15.....For me I would still go X2. Simply a size thing. I ride 70% of the time with 2 adults and 2 kids and tow 200mi one way1-2 weekends a month. The 15 is almost too much boat for me......Almost.......so I haven't ruled a 15 out as of yet, but at this particular time X2 would fit my needs a little better overall again purely do to size. However I really love the 15. The 2 biggest things the X2 has going for it compared to the 15 are size and ski wake.

iplount
10-16-2009, 02:53 AM
For all of your reasons above I bought a 2008 x15. I have been very happy with it. I didn't consider an X2. It was to small for my family. I don't know anyone that slalom skis. We wakeboard, surf and tube. We also spend a lot of time with at least one other family of four on the boat. We can all sit in the boat eat lunch hang out and swim and have plenty of room. It drives great, throws a good wakeboard and surf wake. I too like the look of the boat a lot. I like the room of the pickle fork in the bow but have never been a huge fan of the look of it. I feel like the standard bow of the x15 will always look good as time passes. It has a ton of storage even with the two rear storage areas used for fat sacs.

Some things I wish it had. More built in ballast. I added fly high sacks in the back and in the bow. I wish the ski pylon went down. The sun pad is smaller which allows for more room in the boat so with the pylon sticking up it makes the sun pad have an even smaller usable area. quieter stock exhaust. Stock is really load. I added a Fresh Air Exhaust and it very quiet now.

Thrall
10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I'd agree with swatguy.
I missed out on an almost identically setup X15 for not much more than the X2 I bought and wish I hadn't procrastinated on the X15. The X2 is very roomy for being a 20' boat and more than big enough for what we do. (Coming from a Prostar it's luxurious, the room and storage).
Garage wise, the X2 is just shy of 22' long with the platform off and hitch folded all the way around. Didn't ever measure a 15, but if it's 22'-3" like the MC website says, it's only about 5-6" longer on the trailer. MC imbelishes on the length of the X2 on the trailer. It's listed at 20-9", unless the 09-10 setups are shorter on the trailer, it's about a foot longer than listed.

Jet
10-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Had the same dilemma 3 years ago and we went with the X15.

We don't ski but the boat is on a lake where it can get rough at times and the X15 has always been stable. Sits higher on the water which is good for younger kids and very roomy.

No regrets.

H20BOY
10-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Considered both. I like the lines of the X15 and it feeels bigger. That is why we went with the X15, and have loved everything about it.

Loffgren
10-16-2009, 05:14 PM
X2...Wins. X15 Is a monster, no pickle fork (Picckle fork looks better, opinon) not enough upside to haul that beast around for me... And fitting in garage is a huge plus....

ttu
10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
i have a x2 also. the price difference from my dealer was around 2K cheaper for the x2, but i really liked the picklefork bow. i will say out of the box the x15 has a better wake, but if you install the fly high system in the x2 it makes a really nice wake.

Witness140
10-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Some things I wish it had..... I wish the ski pylon went down. The sun pad is smaller which allows for more room in the boat so with the pylon sticking up it makes the sun pad have an even smaller usable area.

You can add the removable pylon.

http://mastercraftbydesign.com/index_295.htm

I went with it when I ordered my X2 last year - rarely use the pylon and really like having the entire sundeck. Also didn't want all the little kids smashing jaws and little cheeks on it either. And the most important thing to having the removable pylon - it gives you one extra cupholder when the pylon is stowed - in a very desirable location.

KnoxX2
10-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Thread Jack ............ Sorry

Witness- You got a PIC of said cup holder? I would love to see it!

BTW ............ X2 all the way Just my opinion! X15 is just way too big and no Pickle Fork. Also now with the surf tabs and the wake plate makes this boat even more versatile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccelia
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Knox -

If you click on the link for the mastercraft by design that witness posted, there is a pic with the cupholder with the pylon out.

Hope that helps.

wpstevenson
10-17-2009, 01:35 PM
A lot of good points, a couple of coments on not wanting to tow that big of boat around. I have towed both many times and can't tell the difference, so I looked up weights on mastercraft site,

x2 listed at 3,500 lbs
x15 listed at 3,575 lbs

I wonder if that is misprint.

I looked at a 2010 x15 yesterday in the shop, the factory tanks are bigger, deaper than the 09, ye ha. I wonder how much. Looks like MC would be advertising that.

ttu
10-17-2009, 01:40 PM
i always wondered how the two boats could only weigh 75lbs apart!

again, i am just a big fan of the picklefork!

wpstevenson
10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
The listed weights dont seem correct, but I cant tell the difference when towing so maybe they are not far apart. I agree on the pickle fork, it is nice, 3 people can set and watch rider, it has cup holders. Whats up with the x15, when you put the bow filler cusion in there are no cup holders.

I'm going to get the x15 again, more room, great wake, not much more $$ and I like the way it looks. Anybody that sits up front will just have to hold their drinks.

Is plug and play ballast standard, don't see it listed as a option on build a boat?

Witness140
10-17-2009, 02:47 PM
X's come standard with tower, racks, ballast, stainless rub, pop up cleats, whatever version of Medallion's video gauge system they are trying this year - that has depth, water/air temp, and a cheesy version of PP that PP won't support, Medallion knows nothing about, and MC tells you to call PP....and a bunch of other stuff that you probably already know about.

davomaddo
10-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Both great boats.
I went with X-15 because it is much more sea worthy.
Where I live, the X2 and XStart might sink when the waves pick up.
X-15 sits much higher in general, especially the bow.

I don't disagree with much anyone else has said.
A lot of it will come down to personal preference.

swatguy
10-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I have towed both with my Yukon. Maybe it was due to the double axel on the 15 and the single on the 2........I also think the 15 sits higher on the trailer creating more drag? X-15 had the bigger Engine as well the X2 just had the RTP. Both trips were to the same area. Have to think those values are off a bit but hey ya never know. Checked all the specs as far back as the boats evolved and they are solid all the way thru so I guess they are/were right on and the boats aren't that far off, but again there def was a noticeable difference I my end.