PDA

View Full Version : xstar 100 hr service

CHaus21
10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
For all you DIY'ers out there - What do you do for your 100 hour service? Anything special?

I'm almost to the century mark on my 2007 X Star and am going to do the service work myself. Thinking oil, filter, and impeller change. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Kevin@MWMC
10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
For all you DIY'ers out there - What do you do for your 100 hour service? Anything special?

I'm almost to the century mark on my 2007 X Star and am going to do the service work myself. Thinking oil, filter, and impeller change. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Do you have a manual? Everything should be laid out in pretty decent detail to what is needed for the 100 hr service. It makes a pretty good guide to what you should do and you can pick and choose what you want since you're doing it yourself.

If you don't have a manual, go here: http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/

Jerseydave
10-14-2009, 06:39 PM

I hope you have changed your oil at 10 hours and again at 60 hours. :confused:
I had the dealer do my 100 hours service. Besides engine oil and filter they also changed the trans filter and fluid, fuel filter, checked engine alignment, checked everything over. Some people also change their spark plugs at this time too. (I didn't though)

CHaus21
10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks NJ - That's exactly what I was looking for.

Yes I do have the manual, and yes I did have my oil changed at 10 and 60 hours.

I was just curious what most of the DIY'ers did for the 100 (what parts they picked and chose to do from the manual recommendations). Thanks!

vision
10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Engine oil and filter (every 50 hours), and impeller as you mention.

Change the fuel filter, tranny oil and filter. I find the fuel filter a PITA, but there is a thread on TT that takes you through the steps.
Lube your steering linkage and check throttle and shift cables.
Inspect your prop and driveshaft for any unusual wear.
As you likely do through out the year, clean the screen in the transmission cooler part of your fresh water cooling system.
If you have a heater or shower, manually inspect the hoses for cracks.
Inspect your belt(s) but likely in good shape.
Spark plugs wires should easily make 300 to 400 hours. I have 300 hours on my 08 X-star and still starts easily and runs well so I will not change plugs and wires for awhile.
I also test both bilge pumps for automatic turn on by pouring water in the hull to make sure the pumps come on. Usually clean the bilge as well.
If your ballast tanks fill or empty slowly (or auto fill or empty) then replace the ballast pump impellers with new green ones.
Watch your batteries as many do not last much past 3 years before their ability to hold a charge seriously fades.
Check the tightness of every bolt/screw on your tower, hatches, and windshield. Those babies love to come loose with time.

Of course, winterize motor, ballast, heater, and shower systems if needed in your area.

Manual is a good reference. The absolute poorest laid out manual I have ever read, but it does tell you the recommended 100 hour service items.

Having said this, there is really no substitute for having an expert, certified mechanic at a MC dealer go over your boat with a fine tooth comb. But I realize not everyone can get their boat to the dealer.