PDA

View Full Version : prostar 190 protour wing

dds
10-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

I purchased a 91 prostar 190 with the protour wing a couple of years ago and i was just wondering if anyone knows a bit of history on those models... what options they would have been equiped with, how many may have been produced? I don't see to many of them around?

Thank you!

TMCNo1
10-14-2009, 12:49 AM
The wing is/was trademark product called a Safe-T-Top by MasterCraft, IIRC.

A good bunch of history is here, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29236

G-man
10-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Good looking boat, I wouldn't attach the pylon to the lifting ring. It should have a strap that goes through the bow eye.

Jim@BAWS
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Good looking boat, I wouldn't attach the pylon to the lifting ring. It should have a strap that goes through the bow eye.

Thats for sure !!!

Jim@BAWS

dds
10-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Thank you for the info. i did read that thread on the history and found it very interesting. it peaked my interest in signing up as a member to see if i could find out more info on these boats.

dds
10-14-2009, 11:45 PM

thanks good to know, that was the set up on the day i brought it home. It was used once like that then i installed a...... dare i say......tower.

dds
10-14-2009, 11:47 PM
The wing is/was trademark product called a Safe-T-Top by MasterCraft, IIRC.

A good bunch of history is here, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29236

do you know if this was an option? or were there a certain number of boats sold this way?

TMCNo1
10-15-2009, 08:45 AM
do you know if this was an option? or were there a certain number of boats sold this way?

The Safe-T-Top was used on the Pro Tour boats exclusively and optional on the boats sold to promo team members and to the general customer. The number made and installed would be very hard to find out I would imagine.

oldriver
10-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Here is one from 1998,it was ordered as an option on the boat,not sure but think it was about 1500 dollars.Gives the boat a differnt look

Covi
10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I had them on the 89" and 87'. In fact after a 3 years I removed it and had a fiberglass shop fill the holes. What a differance. It opens the interior of the boat up. I admit I think it looks good. But not very fun for the family. Especially with a huge 454 motor box.

towboat81
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I had one to got tired of getting handles out of the net and me getting tangled in the net. Looks good though.

phickman
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Some Scans regarding the early history of the Safe T Top. Neat stuff. Paul

88 PS190
10-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I feel it would be very viable if you only drove on a private lake, and did all your pulls from a dock.

If you are a family skier out on open water its less common to get a handle into the boat, and that would be in the way alot more often.

They do look awesome.

Kevin 89MC
10-16-2009, 11:20 AM
My safe T top spends most of the time in the garage. It is a pain to get around inside with it on. I ski with a guy who skis 36 mph, 28 to 38 off, and between us we've never had a handle hit us. Of course now that I say that I bet one of us will get whacked.
It does look cool with it on IMHO though.
Kevin

woftam
10-16-2009, 02:09 PM
The handle can shoot into the boat with short line slalom skiers and deep water barefoot starts. Sometimes just deep water slalom starts with large guys too.

A shock tube takes care of most of that, so there is little need for the t-top & net. A shock tube doesn't get in the way of moving around in the boat, but doesn't quite 100% prevent driver/spotter(s) from getting hit with a handle.

It was a solution for complaints from (primarily) tournament drivers, who saw far too many handles speeding toward them as they looked in the rear view mirror.

DooSPX
10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I am looking at some pictures I took when I went to the 01 US Open waterski tour in Orlando, FL. the Pro Tour Edition Prostar 190 has just a simple metal hoop with a net in the middle.

G-man
10-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Don't forget the ropes then and now have far les stretch when they are loaded

DooSPX
10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
here is the pic of the pro tour boat for the 01 US open

Covi
10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Doesn't get anymore tournament than that!

dds
10-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree the t top is not user friendly for family boating, mine has been in storage since I bought the boat. I was just real interested to see what kind of history and optons theses boat had.

Thank you all for the info and all the positive input!

Cheers

I must say I have learned a lot of good things about my boat and mastercraft in general from this forum.

DooSPX
10-16-2009, 08:44 PM
This forum is the best that I have found. You have a great boat! I

jipster43
10-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I was never a big fan of the Safe-T-Top, but it has certainly grown on me over the years. In fact, this is my dream boat.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN8453.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN8458.jpg

JP :)

DooSPX
10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I was never a big fan of the Safe-T-Top, but it has certainly grown on me over the years. In fact, this is my dream boat.

:love::love:you and me both!

phickman
10-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Cool, the 93 dream boat matches the "back in the day" scans. My dream boat is a white 86 454 with Safe T Top.

jipster43
10-17-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm with you phickman. My two favorite Mastercrafts are the '93 & the '86. I don't know if my pocketbook could handle a 454 though!

phickman
10-17-2009, 02:08 AM
My 86 is gray with red stripes and 351 powerslot no safe t top. I would like to see just how much the 454 would ding the old wallet. I bet it might be worth it.

phickman
10-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Just for the sake of easy comparison. Great looking boats.

wheeler
10-17-2009, 10:51 AM
I owned this one for about 10 years....sold it this year :-[
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/Phoenix098.jpg

wheeler
10-17-2009, 10:52 AM
another shot.........
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/mastercraft5.jpg

phickman
10-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Good taste Wheeler, somebody sure got lucky when you sold it.

wheeler
10-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks Phickman.....I am still crying over it. It went to a 'family" member.

ProTour X9
10-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Unless you've never been hit in the head with a ski handle, this thing is nice to have.

snork
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I've broke out the windshield and bent the frame not one but twice and just about knocked the driver out as well, using a shock tub at the time too. You wouldn't catch me driving tournaments or even practice without a Safe-T-Top

wheeler
10-19-2009, 04:57 PM
true testimony as to why they are available....Not just for looks I guess :-)

DooSPX
10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I've broke out the windshield and bent the frame not one but twice and just about knocked the driver out as well, using a shock tub at the time too. You wouldn't catch me driving tournaments or even practice without a Safe-T-Top

holy cow! I bet that was an interesting moment for the driver and spotter.

DooSPX
10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
btw, wheeler, where did you get that Prostar decal with the boat in the middle thats on the Safe T Top?

88 PS190
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Don't forget the ropes then and now have far les stretch when they are loaded

For barefoot, but slalom ropes still have stretch, and that stretch is desirable.

The difference between a 2 week old mainline and a year old mainline is amazing.

I'm trying to remember which boat it was, and I believe it was on here, the drivers seat had a loop behind it with what looked like metal grate to protect the driver from recoil.

I think it makes alot of sense since the driver doesn't have any chance to defend themselves from the recoil, and if they get knocked out the boat is not in control. It doesn't do anything for the spotter, but it also doesn't make you crawl under the net.

The boat may have been Freddy's Nightmare.

Panda Cub
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
The wing makes the boat look like a race car.

That is a good thing.

woftam
10-20-2009, 05:34 PM
clipped

I think it makes alot of sense since the driver doesn't have any chance to defend themselves from the recoil, and if they get knocked out the boat is not in control. It doesn't do anything for the spotter, but it also doesn't make you crawl under the net.

I'm not so sure about that. As a driver, I always felt a responsibility to protect my spotters from recoil. I could usually feel it coming by the way the skier pulled against the boat and could often see the handle heading for me in the mirror, giving me an opportunity to duck. The spotters really had nowhere to go. Ducking didn't help much as they'd just get hit in some other part of their body. At least I had a seat to give me partial protection.

Agreed if the driver is incapacitated.

Per a previous post, if shock tubes didn't resolve most of the problem, then the tube was most likely too short to do the job.

wheeler
10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
btw, wheeler, where did you get that Prostar decal with the boat in the middle thats on the Safe T Top?

I made them. I have a friend who has #1 of 25 of the 25th anniversary limited edition boats and he has some of the decals. I digitized them and have them cut out of any color through a sign shop that I used to work at.

I had a few red and black ones left over but I think I gave them to the guy that bought the boat, I will check.

I may also still have the digitized file saved.

Panda Cub
10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not so sure about that. As a driver, I always felt a responsibility to protect my spotters from recoil. I could usually feel it coming by the way the skier pulled against the boat and could often see the handle heading for me in the mirror, giving me an opportunity to duck. The spotters really had nowhere to go. Ducking didn't help much as they'd just get hit in some other part of their body. At least I had a seat to give me partial protection.

Agreed if the driver is incapacitated.

Per a previous post, if shock tubes didn't resolve most of the problem, then the tube was most likely too short to do the job.

I def agree: I have always felt responsible for protecting my passengers from the recoil. A good driver should always be watching to see where their skier is behind the boat along with where they're going.

Why would any halfway decent skier allow someone who is incapacitated to pull them through the course? As a guy who skis with people who are way too anal about speed and how straight they were pulled through the course- I never want to drive after I've had a few.

Wings still are sweet though! They make the boat look like a Porsche!

TMCNo1
10-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Why would any halfway decent skier allow someone who is incapacitated to pull them through the course? As a guy who skis with people who are way too anal about speed and how straight they were pulled through the course- I never want to drive after I've had a few.

I think the word incapacitated was used in reference to a driver who has been hit by a handle and maybe injured, not from drinking too much.:twocents:

88 PS190
10-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Yup, I was implying that while it sucks to get by a handle regardless of being driver or spotter, a good crack to the back of the head of the driver could render the driver less capable of contolling the boat.

And as someone who's been injured in a waterski crash, the ability of the driver to return to the skier is something I feel is very important.

88 PS190
10-20-2009, 07:12 PM
They make the boat look like a Porsche!

The only Porsche they remind me of:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Porsche_914_side_view.jpg