PDA

View Full Version : surf tabs

robertsmcfarland
10-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I think surf tab are new this year for the Xstar, does any one have any first hand knowledge if they really improve the wake.worth it ?

wakesurfer
10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I have no info but have been dreaming of getting my hands on something like that to improve or shape the wake to surf on...anyone have any info .

TMCNo1
10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
I have no info but have been dreaming of getting my hands on something like that to improve or shape the wake to surf on...anyone have any info .

Ask Mike (TT member MYMC) here, http://mymastercraft.com/, if anyone can get you a correct answer, he should.

Kingsley X-1
10-13-2009, 11:28 PM
there was a thread on this a while back with some cool pictures...you should be able to find it with a search

bturner2
10-14-2009, 09:00 AM
I'd like to know the true scoop on if we're going to be able to retro fit these on older boats. I was looking at the new X2 with these installed at my dealer and really couldn't see anything that would preclude me from installing them on my 07 unless something was done structurally to the transom that I couldn't see.

Seems to me that making features like this available to their existing customer base would make for a good revenue stream in these times of slower new boat sales. I'm sure the dealers would love to see 10 or 15 boats lined out there door waiting for the surf tab upgrade.

It wouldn't appear on the surface that it would take too much engineering or testing time to determine what if any reinforcement would be required to safely install something like these surf tabs to previous models hulls that are still in production (XStar, X2, 197 etc.).

As much as I like the MasterCraft by Design stuff I'd be much more willing to part with $1K of my money on performance enhancing components than bling.

MYMC
10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes they can be installed; however, we are still working through the solution for VDIG and non-VDIG boats as the tabs we have now are controlled via the "BIG" or "IPOS" as I refer to it. (for those of you wondering what an IPOS is I'll give you the first word...incomprehensible and then follow with POS);)

Also keep in mind the "production" tabs available on the boats are smaller than the development boat and thus less effective. If it were me I would have the dealer change the plate back to the larger one and get the real effect.

Lastly, there is nothing in the transom, the parts are simply sheet metal screwed into the glass both top and bottom...so much for "through bolts, backing plates and nuts.

bturner2
10-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you. As always a straight forward, no BS informative response. You never disappoint. Please let us know if and when this will become something we can order......

MYMC
10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Thank you. As always a straight forward, no BS informative response. You never disappoint. Please let us know if and when this will become something we can order......
Thanks...I'll let you know what we find.

robertsmcfarland
10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
but do the tabs actually create a better wake for the price?

MYMC
10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
but do the tabs actually create a better wake for the price?
Better for the price? That is too subjective for me to answer...but here is what I can tell you.

The wake should be longer and provide more "surf-able area"...the tabs are really effective at moving the "surf zone" back, making it longer and some think the shape is nicer as well.

They will not make it bigger...that still takes ballast.

As to the cost...I'll leave that up to the market to decide, but the MSRP on the 2010 boat is $1440 so you can only imagine what the parts will cost as a bolt on install from MC.

robertsmcfarland
10-14-2009, 12:42 PM
thanks for the quick and honest answer.

wpstevenson
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Can you control the surf tabs independently, that is, one down one up for surfing or both down to keep nose down when driving. I had the attitude plate on a 08 x2 and liked the option. If I get the surf tabs will I still need to get the attitude plate? Also on build a boat, the x2 shows surf tabs and attitude plate as options, x15 just attitude plate, the x30 just surf tabs, are both options available on both boats???

smsbrett
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM
The 2010 I drove did not have surf tabs installed, so I can't say for sure, but the switch location is just a single switch labeled left and right. So, I think you can either have them both in a neutral position or one up and one down. I think that is what I had heard too. So, yeah, you would probably still need the attitude plate. Can't comment on which boats can have which options.

MYMC
10-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Can you control the surf tabs independently, that is, one down one up for surfing or both down to keep nose down when driving. I had the attitude plate on a 08 x2 and liked the option. If I get the surf tabs will I still need to get the attitude plate? Also on build a boat, the x2 shows surf tabs and attitude plate as options, x15 just attitude plate, the x30 just surf tabs, are both options available on both boats???
When you lower one side it raises the other...you cannot run them both down (at least on what I have here in stock for 2010). You can still order the wake plate. The tabs and plate are independent except for the fact you hit "raise" and it move all the plates up.

KnoxX2
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Mike,
Will you be doing any of these on older boats? Like say a 06 X2!!!!!!!

MYMC
10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Mike,
Will you be doing any of these on older boats? Like say a 06 X2!!!!!!!
Absolutely...be more than happy to do it.

wpstevenson
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
That is a shame, if you could run both surf tabs down at the same time you wouldn't need the attitude plate. any ideas on why surf tabs are not a listed option for a x15 on build a boat, they are listed for a x30 but not a attitude plate. The x2 is the only one listed for both.

KnoxX2
10-14-2009, 03:01 PM
PM at ya!!!!

MYMC
10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
And returned...;)