PDA

View Full Version : 2010 X1 Seats and Viynl in a 2002 X-Star?

dpeters
10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Due to the fact that factory vinyl is not available for my 2002 X-Star, I am considering ordering 2010 X1 vinyl. Has anybody ever done this. Both the 2010 X1 and my 2002 X-Star have the same hull and appear to have the exact interior layout.

sand2snow22
10-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I think you are correct. I would do it, but I would make sure 100 % first.

nmcjr
10-13-2009, 11:33 PM
I asked one of the mastercraft dealers, but was told no. I think the issue is that they use the HIN to match up the colors so they can't cross reference to the newer colors, and they may not match even if they try. I agree that from a size/shape perspective they should work.

However, I only tried one, so it may be worth a try, and I would be curious what you find, since I have the same year/boat.

TMCNo1
10-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Ask Mike (TT member MYMC) here, http://mymastercraft.com/, if anyone can get you a correct answer, he should.

scramison
10-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow I would think it would not be cost effective to go factory. How much is the set going to run?

You could get a good vinyl shop to do it close to factory if you pay a little more than the going rate and it would be significantly less than factory.

StrangeLuv
10-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I have the same boat and the same issue. I'd go all white, so don't care too much about the colors.

76S&S
10-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this one.

I'll soon be needing new covers.

MYMC
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Can it be done? Yes...but not easily. The bases for the seats have changed over the years and the drivers seat is not even close. Before you decide to change the driver seat keep in mind that alone from MC will set you back over $1000.

Good marine upholstery shops have access to all the stuff that matches up...you just won't get the logos. Unavailability is not why MC cannot make this for you...a conscious decision was made to not digitize the older seat skins...HUGE MISTAKE (IMHO).

I could go on and on about how you can still get interior from Rolls Royce, Ferrari and Lamborghini for your restoration, and that there scales and customer loyalty are a better model to follow that the Ford, GM & John Deere but my head hurts from beating it against a brick wall.

dpeters
10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
My local dealer here is BAWS. I think the best plan would be to take the seats out of the new X1 and physically install them into my boat to see if everything fit. Jim/Chuck has a 2009 or 2010 X1with an attractive color scheme that would match my boat. I would use that HIN to order the skins/seats.

The next question is whether I could order just the skins rather that the entire seat. It seems that the foam is in the newer boats are a little thinner but more firm. This could be an issue with just buying the skins.

Obviously, the going to a vinyl shop would make the most "cents" economically. However, I am one of those OCD types. Any kind of imperfection would drive me nuts and I would think think that I would almost spend just as much money getting it to look as close to factory as possible. Also, I don't want to lose any of the factory characteristics like the embroidery. I understand that the embroidery will not be the same with the 2010 X1 vinyl.

Am I nuts for even considering this?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dpeters
10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Can it be done? Yes...but not easily. The bases for the seats have changed over the years and the drivers seat is not even close. Before you decide to change the driver seat keep in mind that alone from MC will set you back over $1000.

Good marine upholstery shops have access to all the stuff that matches up...you just won't get the logos. Unavailability is not why MC cannot make this for you...a conscious decision was made to not digitize the older seat skins...HUGE MISTAKE (IMHO).

I could go on and on about how you can still get interior from Rolls Royce, Ferrari and Lamborghini for your restoration, and that there scales and customer loyalty are a better model to follow that the Ford, GM & John Deere but my head hurts from beating it against a brick wall.
FYI.

The driver seat would remain original.

dpeters
10-14-2009, 12:26 PM
My local dealer here is BAWS. I think the best plan would be to take the seats out of the new X1 and physically install them into my boat to see if everything fit. Jim/Chuck has a 2009 or 2010 X1with an attractive color scheme that would match my boat. I would use that HIN to order the skins/seats.

The next question is whether I could order just the skins rather that the entire seat. It seems that the foam is in the newer boats are a little thinner but more firm. This could be an issue with just buying the skins.

Obviously, the going to a vinyl shop would make the most "cents" economically. However, I am one of those OCD types. Any kind of imperfection would drive me nuts and I would think think that I would almost spend just as much money getting it to look as close to factory as possible. Also, I don't want to lose any of the factory characteristics like the embroidery. I understand that the embroidery will not be the same with the 2010 X1 vinyl.

Am I nuts for even considering this?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Is there a way to get the electronic artwork so that the logo can be embroiderd into the new vinyl at a shop?

MYMC
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
FYI.

The driver seat would remain original.
Not and get the 2010 skin it wouldn't.

Is there a way to get the electronic artwork so that the logo can be embroiderd into the new vinyl at a shop?
Not unless you know someone that can digitize them for you privately...the word MasterCraft and the logo are copy written and cannot be reproduced without permission.

dpeters
10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Not and get the 2010 skin it wouldn't.

Not unless you know someone that can digitize them for you privately...the word MasterCraft and the logo are copy written and cannot be reproduced without permission.
The seat and the skins of the driver seat would remain original.

MYMC
10-14-2009, 01:21 PM
The seat and the skins of the driver seat would remain original.
Then they won't match the new stuff...materials, patterns and colors are different.

I'm not trying to be an *** here...just letting you know how difficult this is...

dpeters
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Then they won't match the new stuff...materials, patterns and colors are different.

I'm not trying to be an *** here...just letting you know how difficult this is...
Understood.

Jim@BAWS
10-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Understood.

Earth to Dustin...come in Dustin

You know who???

Jim

MYMC
10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Earth to Dustin...come in Dustin

You know who???

Jim

Nothing to worry about Jim he said was coming to you

jrhollow
10-14-2009, 05:24 PM
If you are that OCD, just buy a new boat....

Jim@BAWS
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Nothing to worry about Jim he said was coming to you

I know...we have serviced his boat. He just is the inquizitive type. He's my neighbor
As a matter of fact he used to work for BAWS!!

We'll take care of him...I hope

Jim@BAWS

vandit0022
10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I know...we have serviced his boat. He just is the inquizitive type. He's my neighbor

Jim@BAWS

Let me threadjack this for just one moment if I may.....just wanted to say thanks to Jim for hooking me up with new decal kits for my 80. They are currently being put on somewhere in the sea of boats being winterized at my local dealer and was told it would "a while" before I get it back with the list of things I provided to do. Whats the point of an appointment? Anyway.

Thanks!!

Now back to seats N things.

dpeters
10-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Jim@BAWS
Jim has always taken care of me, in my BAWS employee days and now as a customer.

Jim,

Sometime soon I would like to take the seats out of the red X1 and see if they fit. Working this Sat., next Sat. is the civic event (your still participating right?). Perhaps the 31st?

Civic Assoc. Classic Car Show, sometime in April.

dpeters
10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
If you are that OCD, just buy a new boat....
I can't justify a new boat because of worn vinyl.

5280Hawk
10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I Have the Same problem, And the exact same boat. I called a Local Upholstry shop that was recommended by my dealer, and they Ballparked it at $3500.00 for every piece of vinyl. And about $100.00 for each embroidery logo that i wanted to add back. They said they have the MASTERCRAFT logo on file digitally, but not the "Xstar" for the seats.

Im trying to save up the funds over the winter.:rolleyes:

x-swagger
10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I just got my seats for my '04 x-star back from the vinyl shop this morning and i am VERY pleased!! for $175 each they look so awesome, plus it was way cheaper than ordering skins would have been anyhow.

TOO-TALL
10-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I got my motor hatch reskined by a lady here in town.She did a awesome job mached it perfectly and she put the original mastercraft border back on the bottom I was very,very pleased.And it was only 150.00.
I figure i can get one more season out of some of my worn seats then there going to her.

Save some cash and find a local place to reskin them.