PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar For Water Spots? Really???

x-swagger
10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
So I was talking with a girl that said she and all her friends would always help out wiping down a black x-star with water diluted white vinegar after taking the boat out to prevent water spots.

Does this really work?

Every time I took my viper red '04 x-star out this season we would wipe it down simply with damp towells and then dry ones, but somehow I have some pretty nasty water spots all over it (especially the windows and tower).

Can I get rid of 'em with vinegar?

Miss Rita
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
yes. I use a 50% soution. It's amazing how it cuts through those gritty hardwater stains. It only works for spots, not heavy buildup.

starman205
10-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, Vinegar does work, I sometimes mix 1 cup of vinegar to 1 quart of water to remove water spots.

Thrall
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Lots of water spots, go at least 50/50 vinegar/water. Up here in the mtns, I only go about 25/75 and that gets the spots off of a black boat.

flya750
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I have a black boat... and the vinegar/water solution is the bomb.

Just try not to make it too strong to avoid to much vinegar smell.

Ben
10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
+1 for vinegar

Our boat is black, I use 25% vinegar to water in a spray bottle every time. After having the boat in the water 30 times this year (just under 35 hours of use), it looks perfectly clean right now. I did not do this for a year or 2, and had much more cleaning in the fall - water spots all over.

G-man
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
It does prevent them but cleans them off easily. We use a 1/3 -2/3 water mixture here to make the wax on the boat last a little longer.

hawaiianstiln
10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
just use 25% vinegar and 75% water. If you use anymore, you will be waxing more than you want.

nmcjr
10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I know the vinegar works well for sure, but have hesitated in using it because i have heard it strips waxes/protectants--anyone have any thoughts on that?

Also, I have often wondered about adding a little car wash soap to the mixture to help lubricate the spray/towel and also cut through any grime a little better, anyone ever do that?

HMF007
10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I have used the vinegar for the last two years everytime I use the boat with no problems. The boat looks like the day I got it. You may have to wax once more a season but it's your choice. A friend of mine said he mixes the vinegar with a spray on/wipe off wax and says it works great, no extra waxing. I haven't tried that yet but I will.

hawaiianstiln
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
my buddy uses the vinegar (25%) and then uses babes to wipe everything back down after using vinegar and he said he has never had to wax his boat.

I like waxing my boat (lets me get out of the house and away from the screaming kids), so I don't mind the vinegar. I would rather use vinegar instead of having some crazy nasty waterspot problem where you then have to buff it all out. That's too much work if that happens.

x-swagger
10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
damn i wish i would have known sooner! i put about 120 hours on my boat this summer and didnt use vinegar once!!! (i suppose these are the things one must learn being a first time boat owner, i want so badly to take prefect care of my MC all this advice helps a lot!)

ccelia
10-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Vinegar is definitely the way to go. We must have hard water here in the Occoquan, because I would pull my boat out and it was almost immediately stained (on the white portion of the hull). After trying numerous cleaners, 50/50 vinegar to water keeps my boat looking clean. I gave the boat an acid bath midway through the summer and it still looks the same as the day it received an acid bath.

Vinegar works amazing, but be sure to wax more often as those above have already mentioned.

Prostar19
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Here is what I found works the best. Comet tub and shower cleaner spray. It is made for fiberglass tubs and showers and will get rid of the water spots with no trouble. I spray the boat with this then go back over it with a detail spray.

etduc
10-13-2009, 05:21 PM
If you use too much vinegar, would you boat smell like pickle.

If your boat was green, would you call it a "Dill pickle boat."

mayo93prostar
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
ccelia, isnt the Occoquan brackish (salty) water? this will really stain. we operate in brackish water on the chesapeake bay and have to wash and rinse really well. I plan to try the vinegar solution recommended.

x-swagger
10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
prostar 19, seriously? that just [I]sounds [I] corrosive....

TMCNo1
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Here is what I found works the best. Comet tub and shower cleaner spray. It is made for fiberglass tubs and showers and will get rid of the water spots with no trouble. I spray the boat with this then go back over it with a detail spray.

That's not what you told me,

Miss Rita
10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Was someone looking for a dill pickle boat?

http://godfreymarine.com/rinker2010/Build_A_Boat/images/bab_190MTX.jpg

etduc
10-13-2009, 06:13 PM
mmm.... pickles

bigmac
10-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I suspect that if there are hard water spots that don't wipe off with just a moist towel, they're probably adherent to an area where the wax is pretty much gone.

I've found that ReJex (http://www.rejex.com/) gives me the longest hull protection against water spots and allows wiping them off better than any wax I've ever used.

etduc
10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Make your own Windex

New formula
25% distilled (white) vinegar + 25% amonia + 50% distilled water + dash blue food coloring

Windex clear (came out a few years ago) sans food color.

Old formula had a higher percentage of vinegar - less water.

mtajpa
10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
We use 50/50 solution in a 2 gallon pump sprayer. Start spraying away. Once you get all the way around the boat grab a towel and dry off no more spots.

ccelia
10-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Mayo -

It is slightly brackish where I am so it does stain the boat fairly quickly. I normally wash down after every outing, but I immediately spray the vinegar on the hull when I pull the boat out of the water (prior to washing), and I have not had any problems with water spots or staining. If I don't immediately spray with vinegar, the staining seems to immediately settle in.

I would highly recommend using the vinegar solution if you are in the Chesapeake Bay.

x-swagger
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
damn you guys were right, i hit my boat with a 50/50 mix last night and buffed it pretty hard with some soft cloth, it looks beautiful!

i can tell that it will be needing a serious wax pretty soon however, but it will be this first in a while which it needed anyways!

thanks guys!

LaRue
08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I suspect that if there are hard water spots that don't wipe off with just a moist towel, they're probably adherent to an area where the wax is pretty much gone.

I've found that ReJex (http://www.rejex.com/) gives me the longest hull protection against water spots and allows wiping them off better than any wax I've ever used.

bump...

do you apply wax at all or just use ReJex? I have put 4 coats of Meguirers Premium Boat wax on over the past year and after two weeks of straight boating with boat remaining in the water and wiping down each night, i still had several water spots on back 1/4 of boat when i got home. used water/vinegar mixture which worked well but i am wondering if ReJex would be a better boat care product. thoughts?

Dad 2 3
08-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't want to threadjack this, but for all of you lakefront property owners, vinegar makes a great environmentally safe weed killer so if you mix a batch up, you can throw the rest each time on the weeds to keep them under control.