PDA

View Full Version : battery alarm

hawaiianstiln
10-13-2009, 03:58 AM
Anyone know how to turn this alarm off or am I stuck with it? Seems like I might be stuck with it, because when the boat goes below a certain voltage, the boat turns off and has a constant beep. It's only happened to me in the garage when leaving the stereo on for a long time, but it happened to me tonight and the voltage was flashing on the gauge reading 11.2. I didn't think that was very low, especially if I'm running my stereo off one battery for a while.

Can this only be turned off using DIACOM loaded on a laptop hooked up to the engine or can I lower the voltage a little more on the alarm somewhere.

So do people get these alarms going off all the time when they are partying. Sometimes I don't mind if I completely drain my battery or until it gets low enough and by that time we are all ready to go back home anyway.

Any ideas.

btriantos
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I think you have to keep resetting it. I think you have to fully charge the battery, or have a good battery hooked up for it to clear.

TallRedRider
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
There is something wrong with this picture.

I have my system wired so that the amps, stereo and eq are all coming from the same battery. I don't think that it was like that when MC did it from the factory. I have the switch is set to start from the other battery. Therefore, the boat does not even 'see' the stereo battery unless the engine is running and the isolator overrides the Perko switch to charge the stereo bank, at which point the alternator output should serve to maintain the voltage. If you do the same, you could get rid of this problem.

Am I missing something here?

hawaiianstiln
10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
so you can't lower the alarm setting in anyway then? I would rather the alarm fire off at like 9.5-10 volts left. At that point I won't care anyway because I have my starting battery to get me home.

I do have the perko switch and at the time it was on battery one where the stereo was connected.

TallRedRider
10-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I do have the perko switch and at the time it was on battery one where the stereo was connected.

So put the switch on the other battery and you are golden.

So were both batteries drawn down to that level when you had the alarm even though you were only on battery 1?

The other thing that I have done if you want to really beat this issue is to wire the stereo on switch to something other than the key switch. Then you can turn on the stereo without turning on the key. The ECM won't alarm because it is not on. I put mine to the 'wash down' switch since it is not being used. You just have to be sure not to have the perko on both or you will kill both batteries. It does mean that I can accidentally leave the stereo on if I am not paying attention. But it does eliminate that annoying break in music when you shut the boat off and on.

If you get the battery to 10 volts, will it still start the engine? I think they put 11 volts as a safe margin to still allow you to get started.

hawaiianstiln
10-14-2009, 12:08 AM
that makes sense I guess. So are you running the positive wire from the stereo to that switch and then let the stereo still turn the amps on and off? Which would mean you would leave the remote wire going to the amps still off the back deck, but just let the wash down switch be between the positive wire on the back of the clarion deck and the battery?

That would be better!

TallRedRider
10-14-2009, 01:53 AM
that makes sense I guess. So are you running the positive wire from the stereo to that switch and then let the stereo still turn the amps on and off? Which would mean you would leave the remote wire going to the amps still off the back deck, but just let the wash down switch be between the positive wire on the back of the clarion deck and the battery?

That would be better!

The power wire goes from the stereo to the wash down switch and then back to the same distribution block that powers the amps.

The turn on wire from the stereo still goes from the head unit to the amps.

It is amusing when trying to watch someone who does not know try to turn on the stereo, then ridicule them for not trying the wash down switch. If there were a way to relabel the switch I would do it, but for now it works as long as the people who use the boat know about it.

TallRedRider
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
The power wire goes from the stereo to the wash down switch and then back to the same distribution block that powers the amps.
The turn on wire from the stereo still goes from the head unit to the amps.

It is amusing when trying to watch someone who does not know try to turn on the stereo, then ridicule them for not trying the wash down switch. If there were a way to relabel the switch I would do it, but for now it works as long as the people who use the boat know about it.

I mispoke there. I have the radio switch wire going there to the wash down switch. I just removed it from the key spot.

So I cannot turn my radio on when the batteries are off because the power to the turn on wire comes from the master module.

I reconsidered what I said last night when I was out tinkering in the garage, and realized that if what I said is true then I could turn the stereo on even when the batteries are turned off at the Perko. I think I like it like I have it. There is only enough draw to tell the radio to turn on, not enough to draw down my starting battery by any means.