PDA

View Full Version : Acme vs. OJ...OJ wins!

TallRedRider
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I felt that my 2006 X-45 with the 8.1L engine was running a little high on the RPM side of things with the 13.7 X 19.5 that was on there when I bought the boat. Shortly after I bought the boat, I found another 13.7 X 19.5 on EBay for a good deal so I bought it too thinking it must be the right prop.

I have a good friend who is an acme dealer and gets me props very close to cost. I spoke to the guys at acme corporate and they recognized my problem and said I should try the 14.5 X 15. I bought it and put it on but noticed a small vibration at varying speeds while acelerating. It was not consistent at what RPM it would occur at, and sometimes would come and go then come and go a second time while pulling a rider up. It was always gone once I got up to speed. It was mild, but did not think I should have to live with it. So my buddy sent me another prop and had the old prop tested. The new prop did the same thing and the guys who looked at the old prop said nothing was wrong with it. BTW, the hole shot was hugely improved and even my fuel usage was less. It seems to not matter how much weight is in the boat, either.

I figured it must be cavitation, and assumed that I would have to live with it.

One of those prop threads came up and it got me to thinking that maybe an OJ prop would be worth a try. I called Eric and he said I could try a prop, and as long as I don't ding it, I could send it back and only be out the shipping. Sounded worth a try to me. I bought the OJ 14.75 X 15.5. The hole shot is equally good as the new acme, and my vibration is now gone!

So I want to give props (pun intended) to Eric at OJ props for making a terrific prop and letting me try it out. I can't explain why 2 different CNC machined props are not performing the same, but I am sticking with OJ for sure.

ahhudgins
10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
You will get a lot of different opinions on prop manufacturers and prop styles. I can only speak from my experience. I had a PS 190 that performed "well" but after doing a little research I decied to go from my stock 3 blade to an OJ 4 blade. As soon as I hit the throttle, everyone in the boat noticed how much quieter, smoother, and quicker the hole shot was. I gained a few miles per hour on the top end, and there was less vibration in a hard turn. When I bought my Maristar 200, I used it for a month and then I put on an OJ XMP 4 blade. I have my 3 blade in the boat for a spare, but if I ding my 4 blade I will just go home rather than use the 3 blade for the rest of the day.:D

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Glad OJ fixed you up. I basically have the same story with a twist... had an OJ switched to Acme and my various vibration spots went away along with better hole shot, no loss of top end, and just a touch better fuel consumption. Got the same reaction from other regular drivers of my boat about how much better the boat drove. I think saying one is better than the other is a bit much. Both Acme & OJ make excellent products and do all they can to make our boats perform better.

Ole Miss Rebels
10-13-2009, 12:38 AM
i have an 08 xstar with 8.1L. i have the 14.75 X 15.5 oj. it is absolutely the best feeling response of any prop on any boat with any engine i have ever driven. my boat is slightly underpropped (geared a little lower than it probably needs to be) but i will not consider touching the prop. if i tore my current oj prop up tomorrow i would get an identical one shipped the same day. that is truly how i feel and it is based on my experiences over the past seven years and having owned three xstars.

Springer
10-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Ole Miss Rebels you could not have said it better. Same boat...same prop....same comments. Without a doubt the best engine prop combo I have ever driven.

It just made the boat come alive!!!!!!!!!!

Jerseydave
10-15-2009, 06:54 PM
i have an 08 xstar with 8.1L. i have the 14.75 X 15.5 oj. it is absolutely the best feeling response of any prop on any boat with any engine i have ever driven. my boat is slightly underpropped (geared a little lower than it probably needs to be) but i will not consider touching the prop. if i tore my current oj prop up tomorrow i would get an identical one shipped the same day. that is truly how i feel and it is based on my experiences over the past seven years and having owned three xstars.

I am running that same OJ prop on my MCX powered X-star......this is my 3rd prop on the boat and by far the best IMHO.

I had the stock OJ (13.7 X 17), then tried this one (14.25 X 14.5) but the rpm's were a bit higher than I liked, and now the 14.75 X 15.5. Funny how the same prop performs equally well between the MCX and the 8.1 engines.