PDA

View Full Version : shaft stuffing box

mastercraft29
10-11-2009, 10:31 PM
whats up guys, i recently bought my first mc, 85 s&s. i finally wake boarded behind it today for the first time after re doing some stuff. I replaced the rope in the packing shaft and the last time i took it out i adjusted it to drip pretty steadily. But when I took it out today i noticed it was very hot and not dripping, so i losened it to drip and later checked it and it was still pretty hot. My question is how hot should it be getting? As long as there is water dripping through it should be fine right? I also only put two ropes instead of three. Any help is appriciated thanks josh

FrankSchwab
10-11-2009, 10:55 PM
As long as there is water dripping (once every 5 seconds to once a minute), you should be ok.

Your stuffing box stopped dripping because the rope absorbed a bit of water and swelled. Keep an eye on it for a trip or three.

Don't know why it would still be hot; other than there's a lot of metal there, and not really a lot to cool it down. How hot is "pretty hot"? If you can hold your hand on it, its probably OK.

/frank.