PDA

View Full Version : X2 Wakeplate Install

wireman
10-11-2009, 01:33 AM
I had a wakeplate installed on my 07' X2 because I thought it would make the X2 ski wake OK to ski. I was wrong. But tonight I was looking at it and I saw that there was a cut out on the bracket that attaches to the stern and noticed that the bracket is mounted so the cut out is about 1-1/4" lower than the drain plug. Which means the left and right side of the plate is below the profile of the stern. When I noticed this It reminded me that when I put the plate down all the way, I get a rooster tail shooting up from the back of the boat. That explains why I could only put it down only 1/4 of the way, but it never changed the wake at all. My question is, does anyone know how the wakeplate should be installed on the stern?

venetrex
10-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I will get you a pic of one properly installed

TMCNo1
10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Sounds like a breast augmentation gone bad!

Witness140
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
At 100% down the plate will produce an interesting rooster tail at short line lengths. It will be wide and frothy. This is normal even with factory installs.

If you are skiing at line lengths greater than 22' off and at speeds below 34mph, the only thing that is going to help the wake is to replace the boat with a 197.

If you are a serious skier and want to slalom behind this thing with a plate, you should do so inside 22' off. 28' off or shorter is the best place to be, and I certainly wouldn't want to be there below 32mph.

All that being said, we all have a different definition of the word 'ski-able' so here's the picture you requested. This is the wakeplate install on a 2007 X2.

Witness140
10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Here are 2 shots of the wake with the plate at 50%. First shot is at 34.2mph and the second is at 36mph.

The third picture is from the back of my 07' 197 around 34mph just for comparison sake.

wireman
10-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks, just what I thought. Great pics. I know the best thing to do is replace it with the 197, but you know how that goes. Thanks for the replies.

Witness140
10-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, well I replaced my 197 with an X2......which I love for the room, storage, versatility, surfing, wakeboarding, cooler, ergonomics, etc.

The only thing I don't like about it.... it's no 197 when I'm standing on one ski. (trick or slalom)

But, it's good enough for the occasional set through the course when nobody else is around with a real ski boat, and I can still do my pathetic surface turns on the trick ski behind the boat. Pretty flat table, defined lips, but kinda steep compared to the 197's trick wake.

1.25" below the drain sounds like they put the bottom of vertical hinge plate flush with bottom of transom.

Oops.