PDA

View Full Version : Danger Lurking in the Water?

wakesurfer
10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Pulled up to Lake Ida boat ramp today to see the sign in the picture. What does anyone think is the issue with the water ? the quality? Brain-Eating Amoeba in the water? Aligators?
How many of you people out there have seen similar signs or notices at your boat ramps and lakes? What the heck is going on I have young kids and am pretty creeped out, might need to start skiing in salt water?:confused:

Justjoe
10-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow. That's a pretty permanent looking sign too.

kkkeating
10-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Call the Palm Beach County Health Dept and ask them what's going on. Otherwise, you and others will only be guessing without any facts.

kkkeating
10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Could use this sign at our boating area; keep the skiers from ruining the water for the tubers!

TMCNo1
10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe the homeless have been using it for bathing.:rolleyes:
I'd ask Obama, he's a Nobel Peace Prize winner and has all the answers.:D

bigmac
10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Stagnant water, sewage spills. Not alligators, nor amoebas...it's just plain old fecal coliforms.

Ya'll need to quit sh*tting in your lakes.

TMCNo1
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Stagnant water, sewage spills. Not alligators, nor amoebas...it's just plain old fecal coliforms.

Ya'll need to quit sh*tting in your lakes.

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhammeWell, the fish do!

wakesurfer
10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback but from what I have read it looks like you people have not seen this type of warning up North, any southerners seen this type of thing at your lake?

coz
10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
There's some places out here that have the amoeba warnings, but those are in mostly stagnant coves that we never even see and the signs say what the warning is for.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8969867.html

I did see this http://www.clickorlando.com/news/13850737/detail.html

They thrive in warm water.

mattsn
10-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Here in the midwest, we had a number of algae blooms this year. As a result, we had blue/green toxic algae. Very tough stuff. No state has any guidelines or testing. We tested 10 samples in our area and the results were staggering.

Blue / green can be toxic and cause kidney or brain damage. Very few verified cases. Ingesting large amounts can cause kidney failure.

This will be the next big problem for inland lakes. And you thought zebra mussels were a problem!!! Look for this coming to a lake near you.

jipster43
10-11-2009, 12:26 AM
The northwest has problems with water fowl and their droppings - they create a breeding ground for ecoli.

JP :)

wakesurfer
10-11-2009, 10:43 AM
So what I'm getting is that it is a very limmited risk of getting infected or fatal.
I read that hot water is the main problem that it is better for the amoeba to live and grow, and that they live in the silt bottom of the lakes in shallow areas. Does anyone know what is the optimum temperature for the amoeba to come out, or thrive?
thanks

bigmac
10-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Not all E. coli bacteria are harmful, in fact most are not - some strains are natural residents of beaches. The assumption that all measured E coli comes from sewage or other harmful sources is likely incorrect. The result has been that many states are increasing the permissible levels of E coli colonies at swimming beaches by as much as fourfold.

wakesurfer
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I read that scientists had found high levels of Mersa bacteria in sand at beaches in Cali and Miami? what gives?

bigmac
10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
MRSA is increasingly everywhere.

Chicago190
10-11-2009, 10:31 PM
So what I'm getting is that it is a very limmited risk of getting infected or fatal.

Probably, but I would certainly talk to someone in the agency that posted the warning to see what the reason for the warning is. Every year there are a few stories of people that die from that warm water amoeba, and I would definitely be concerned enough to do some research beyond what you pick up on an online message board.

bigmac
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Lake Ida has had at least two major sewage contaminations that I know of since 1982, the most recent in 2004 when a ruptured sewer line dumped about 200,000 gallons of raw sewage into the lake. And it's a more-or-less stagnant lake that connects to a number of canals.

TX.X-30 fan
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling, next thing will be that the earth is getting hotter.

wakesurfer
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
OK got the updates: the signs that have shown up at Lake Ida, Osborne, and yes they are connected, are warnings for ameoba specifically and they keep them there to cover their asses from law suits, and they dont have to spend the money and time testing and re testing etc... r&d, its buyer beware once the signs are up permanently. All our natural resources are sufferring , you know the old saying polute mother nature and suffer the consequences, the only prob is she wll be around long after we are.