PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers FRP vs SS

Tony_225VRS
10-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a 225 VRS, 1994. The mufflers were previously replaced with straight pipes. It is too loud for my taste. I understand the stock mufflers were dual fiberglass. I am trying to decide between a fiberglass muffler and a stainless steel clamp on type silener.

Do you have experience with the SS mufflers? What is the expected noise level of FRP Vs SS silencers?

Thanks,

Tony

Link to Hardin Silencer

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=161102&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

etduc
10-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a 225 VRS, 1994. The mufflers were previously replaced with straight pipes. It is too loud for my taste. I understand the stock mufflers were dual fiberglass. I am trying to decide between a fiberglass muffler and a stainless steel clamp on type silener.

Do you have experience with the SS mufflers? What is the expected noise level of FRP Vs SS silencers?
Thanks,
Tony
Link to Hardin Silencer

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=161102&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

I would think location of these would critical, tend to get very hot. So, if they where located in a bilge, they could possibly cause steam. As to noise, well, they are quieter than open. FRP are quieter, than SS.

Fiberglass would tend to have lower, under hood temperature, plus a known outcome.

TMCNo1
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I would think location of these would critical, tend to get very hot. So, if they where located in a bilge, they could possibly cause steam. As to noise, well, they are quieter than open. FRP are quieter, than SS.

Fiberglass would tend to have lower, under hood temperature, plus a known outcome.

Maybe I read something wrong here, but are you saying the stainless mufflers would get so hot that they would create steam in the engine compartment from the bilge water hitting them?
If so, please elaborate, because most water exiting the exhaust outlets on the transom won't even burn your hand.

etduc
10-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe I read something wrong here, but are you saying the stainless mufflers would get so hot that they would create steam in the engine compartment from the bilge water hitting them?
If so, please elaborate, because most water exiting the exhaust outlets on the transom won't even burn your hand.

Try this out.

Start your car. Let idle, for 30 minutes. You can place your hand in the exhaust gas flow. (end of exhaust pipe.) Now, touch the exhaust pipe, with your hand. NOW, touch the exhaust pipe, near the exhaust manifold. :)

Ever follow a car, on a rainy day. Watch what happens, when the car, goes thru a puddle.
Water splashes, the exhaust pipe. Steam comes up, from under the car.

Of course, it does depends on the temperature differences. (delta T) If the bilge water, slowly comes up to temperature, it would have to get to a much higher temperature, before steaming.

Point is, these mufflers are typically located above the bilger water level. The SS muffler gets very hot, the closer it is to the exhaust manifold.

By the way, TMC1

Your Teak kung-fu, is stronger, than mine.

TMCNo1
10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Try this out.

Start your car. Let idle, for 30 minutes. You can place your hand in the exhaust gas flow. (end of exhaust pipe.) Now, touch the exhaust pipe, with your hand. NOW, touch the exhaust pipe, near the exhaust manifold. :)

Ever follow a car, on a rainy day. Watch what happens, when the car, goes thru a puddle.
Water splashes, the exhaust pipe. Steam comes up, from under the car.

Of course, it does depends on the temperature differences. (delta T) If the bilge water, slowly comes up to temperature, it would have to get to a much higher temperature, before steaming.

Point is, these mufflers are typically located above the bilger water level. The SS muffler gets very hot, the closer it is to the exhaust manifold.

By the way, TMC1

Your Teak kung-fu, is stronger, than mine.

Last time I looked, our highway vehicles did not have fresh water cooling/closed cooling system using fresh water to cool a heat exchanger, water jacketed and cooled exhaust manifolds/risers and gallons per minute of 140 degree water coming out of the rubber tailpipes. :rolleyes:

etduc
10-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Last time I looked, our highway vehicles did not have fresh water cooling/closed cooling system using fresh water to cool a heat exchanger, water jacketed and cooled exhaust manifolds/risers and gallons per minute of 140 degree water coming out of the rubber tailpipes. :rolleyes:

So... you're saying 140 degree water is not hot. Ever open an automatic dishwasher, and have water vapor fog up, your eye-glasses. :cool:

The word steam is used, incorrectly. It is water vapor (fog), which will occur at various temperature differentials, i.e.- sudden change in air temperature/relative humidity,etc.

We won't go into saturation(dew points),blah,blah.

Open a door, to a dishwasher. Your breath on a cold winter's day. FOG. It's all relative.

Harold, nothing but love, for ya. :D It's raining here, in Texas, and I've spent to much time indoors. (The last week!)

TMCNo1
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
So... you're saying 140 degree water is not hot. Ever open an automatic dishwasher, and have water vapor fog up, your eye-glasses.

The word steam is used, incorrectly. It is water vapor (fog), which will occur at various temperature differentials, i.e.- sudden change in air temperature/relative humidity,etc.

We won't go into saturation(dew points),blah,blah.

Open a door, to a dishwasher. Your breath on a cold winter's day. FOG. It's all relative.

Harold, nothing but love, for ya. It's raining here, in Texas, and I've spent to much time indoors. (The last week!)

Raining here too and it's real cool outside, I farted and I had steam coming out my pants legs, cause I am the dishwasher at my house!:eek::rolleyes::D:uglyhamme

etduc
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Raining here too and it's real cool outside, I farted and I had steam coming out my pants legs, cause I am the dishwasher at my house!:eek::rolleyes:

:worthy: TCM1