PDA

View Full Version : Maristar windshield

LaRue
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
sorry to be adding so many threads today but here is the final one. something tells me the windshield on my 2000 Maristar is off but i can't see any cosmetic damage or reason why it would not be flush (see photos) is this normal? I do notice the passenger's side is set further ahead the driver's side based on how much the front intake is showing. But both sides of windshield flowing up to the center seem flush and true. Any thoughts? :confused:

Miss Rita
10-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Mine was so far off that the center section fell all the way through after going over a particularly large wave. I had to move both sides of the windshield forward and closer together.

Easy things to check first: are all the screws tight? Any screws broken? Any holes stripped out?

I think the reason that mine was off is that my twenty year old hull became warped after sitting on the trailer for two decades.

I ended up removing the entire windshield, replaced the old dried out weather stripping, and reattached it. I drilled new holes (major pucker factor).

Measure thrice, drill once!

MariStar-Man
10-09-2009, 02:22 AM
sorry to be adding so many threads today but here is the final one. Any thoughts? :confused:

LaRue a couple of things...

If this is a Final post we should celebrate or something...:D heheh

Secondly, your not posting too much, only I do that...

Well, I guess you should check to see if you boat is level first.
Then, tape a line level to the top edge of the straight-Edge.
Run the straight edge from one side of the top windsheild to the other and see which Side Either Raised up or fell down a bit.

You might have to shim, but find the best place and materials to do it.

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow. I currently have a Passthru Cover Being made and it sits over the bottom edge of the fold-over window.

FrankSchwab
10-09-2009, 02:28 AM
It's not a popular opinion around here, but...

I had the same problem on mine after dragging back from Lake Powell with the window open. The glass can move within the rubber weatherstripping; this can cause one side or the other to droop, as you see. I was able to move the glass in mine by pulling up on the drooping window; the glass moved and everything lined up well. I would never recommend anyone else do it, because the possibilities of catastrophic failure are high.

One thought: put a shim between the window and frame, to move the window a little bit back towards where it needs to be. Drive around a while; you may find that things have shifted for the better. After doing that a couple of times, you may find an acceptable final position.

/frank

MariStar-Man
10-09-2009, 03:05 AM
That little black rubber piece, is missing on my boat.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52409&stc=1&d=1255048667

So since my windshield is nice and level can you give me yours...? i mean we shouldn't waste parts on a crooked boat...8p

bigmac
10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Although it's certainly possible, maybe even likely, that one side or the other of the windshield has slipped somehow, my old boat mechanic always said that when the center hatch door gets out of alignment like that, time to look at the hull and/or deck and find out if the problem is that THOSE structures are warped. The way that pass-through hatch fits was always one of the things people are supposed to survey when buying any kind of used open-bow trailer boat...a common way to check for hull/stringer damage from collisions or from the boat sitting on trailer or lift bunks cockeyed.

MasterCraft hulls are generally more robust than most, so maybe that's not an issue...but I'd sure check it out.

LaRue
10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
this is depressing news! Since windshield seems solid and unmovable i suspect, based on your feedback, something more serious. If the hull or flooring is indeed warped, does that present a serious performance issue? Last thing i want is to spend this kind of money and have overlooked a potentially serious issue. :(

jdhunt0
10-09-2009, 11:09 AM
My 99 looks the same.

Jim@BAWS
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
this is depressing news! Since windshield seems solid and unmovable i suspect, based on your feedback, something more serious. If the hull or flooring is indeed warped, does that present a serious performance issue? Last thing i want is to spend this kind of money and have overlooked a potentially serious issue. :(

You are fine...no issues.

Jim@BAWS

shunra
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM

LaRue
10-09-2009, 12:59 PM
i might call the factory and see if i can touch base with someone. Just talked to previos owner and he said he never remembered it lining up perfectly. Seems odd though for a high quality boat. I will let you know what i discover.

TMCNo1
10-09-2009, 01:10 PM
i might call the factory and see if i can touch base with someone. Just talked to previos owner and he said he never remembered it lining up perfectly. Seems odd though for a high quality boat. I will let you know what i discover.

It's a 9 year old boat and I don't think they would have much to offer, unless they know the boats history, use, etc., then, it's a matter of age and fatigue of the structure between the hull sides due to the open bow walk thru deck . You'll never see that on a closed bow with a walk thru windshield section. Might be like a woman, just needs a little tummy tuck and corrective surgery for things that have gone south!

shunra
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
It's a 9 year old boat and I don't think they would have much to offer, unless they know the boats history, use, etc., then, it's a matter of age and fatigue of the structure between the hull sides due to the open bow walk thru deck . You'll never see that on a closed bow with a walk thru windshield section. Might be like a woman, just needs a little tummy tuck and corrective surgery for things that have gone south!

How do you re-align it? Are there bolts holding it in place from underneath the observers seat?

corey
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
This is fine and likely adjustable. Check your windsheild stantions first, you may be able to adjust them a bit to help line up the windsheild, there is a little bit of adjustment in these. From there you would need to move the windsheild frame itself, you will need to redrill the holes, as was mentioned measure thrice. A good majority of boats have windshields that are not 100% aligned.

tlcrichardson
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I have thought an adjustment must be able to be made. Now the boat is winterized and in the garage I will dig deeper. I just might wait and hear what you did before I start redrilling. I would think adjustments must beable to be made so it would be close without the drilling. Then if it takes drilling I guess we need to man up and sink the drill in to the nicely polished fiberglass. ouch. That is going to hurt. So everyone keep on telling us how you fixed your windshield so we can have more to go on. Thanks and this is a great forum.

DooSPX
10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Call Jim or Chuck at Bay Area Water Sports (BAWS), talk to them about it and see what they say. They will help you make the right decision on how to fix the proplem.
their number is in my signature.

LaRue
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
redrilling will be a last option if an option at all. Window shuts fine and actually remains open 90% of the time. I will make some adjustments later next week and if i want to pursue, i have a friend who owns a body shop who might be able to help. It would be nice to have lined up but in the scope of things, not a major deal.

Miss Rita
10-09-2009, 04:12 PM
My '89 TriStar had no option for adjusting anything. I suppose you could slot the holes in the windshield frame, but you'd have to remove it, and you wouldn't get more than 1/8".

I've noticed that my windshield gaps a little wider when the boat is floating on the water compared to sitting on the trailer. Obviously, the hull flexes a bit.

When I did mine I took a deep breath and just forged ahead. I removed both halves of the windshield, cleaned up the old weatherstrip and adhesive, then applied 1/2" x 1/4" high density foam to the bottom of the frame where it sits on the deck. (I took this oppurtunity to apply wax to places that have never been waxed.) Once the windshield was back in rough position, I replaced both aft screws on each side, and also replaced the struts in the middle.

Now you'll find that both sides can be moved around to fine tune the fit. I went for 1/4" clearance between the center section and the starboard fixed glass.

Now comes pucker time. New holes should be drilled in the frame and deck, because if you use the old ones your problem remains unsolved. The new holes were 1-2" from the old ones. I was able to re-use the old sheet metal screws, although I seriously considered stainless cap screws that are through-bolted. I may still do that.

This was a project I took on with some trepidation, but once it was finished I'm very pleased with the final result.

tlcrichardson
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but no the original picture. It is the port side that moved right? Meaning the side that has the hinge has moved.

LaRue
10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
yes, the port side has seemed to have moved down

tlcrichardson
10-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Well just got in from looking at mine. It appears that redrilling is the only go. It looks like if I move both sides a little it would work. It only is going to take and 1/8 - 1/4 inch to make up the inch on the top. Agani this site provides the information needed. Think that would be better than trying to do it all with one side. Looks like tomorrows project after I put a buddies boat up for the winter and catch my daughters playoff field hockey game.

tlcrichardson
10-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Well pulled it off. Made a few new holes sunk the screws and she is level. I did level the boat first to make sure things were square. Taking a little from each side kept things square.